U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM
 
2,880 posts, read 3,567,873 times
Reputation: 4625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In most places in the United States, in the winter it is impossible to get sufficient exposure outdoors. That's why many people suffer from low vitamin d symptoms during the winter months. In addition to this, 95 percent of the adult population is clinically deficient in Vitamin D. How many people do you know personally who spend 15-20 minutes outside (in the middle of the day) every single day? I don't know any personally. Most people work indoors and are indoors all day. They might try to "make up for it" on weekends, but that is the worst thing you can do. Supplements are better than nothing, but considering that 15 minutes of full sun exposure produces 15,000 - 20,000 IU of Vitamin D, most people do not take enough supplements to make a difference. Plus you have to consume calcium along with Vitamin D to make it effective.

20yrsinBRanson
I get outside everyday....You make time , like all things, get Vit D through a healthy diet...

Folks can do whatever they like, if you want lay out sit in a tanning booth more power to em....As for me, no thank you, I've seen enough proof how aging it can be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM
 
3,058 posts, read 6,749,211 times
Reputation: 2075
I have fair skin and used to work at a salon where all the people went tanning. I did not and they would always tell me I should. We were all in our 20s at the time. Anyhow this lady came in she was probably 50 plus and you could tell she was either out in the sun all her life or tanned. She looked like a leather bag her skin was so horrible in texture and wrinkled. Plus she had an odd dark skin tone.
Often young people forget what may look good now will not in years to come. Also with all we know about skin cancer other then a small amount of sun for health it is too risky to tan or be out in the sunlight for long periods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
2,276 posts, read 4,637,134 times
Reputation: 2488
Don't worry about having a tan. The vampire look is in now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 30,994,631 times
Reputation: 22428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have fair skin and used to work at a salon where all the people went tanning. I did not and they would always tell me I should. We were all in our 20s at the time. Anyhow this lady came in she was probably 50 plus and you could tell she was either out in the sun all her life or tanned. She looked like a leather bag her skin was so horrible in texture and wrinkled. Plus she had an odd dark skin tone.
Often young people forget what may look good now will not in years to come. Also with all we know about skin cancer other then a small amount of sun for health it is too risky to tan or be out in the sunlight for long periods
Her mother might have looked just the same and never been anywhere near a tanning booth. Genetics plays a huge part in how people age. I am 58 years old and I don't have any wrinkles because I am of Mediterranean heritage. Yet, I see people 1/2 my age that are a mass of wrinkles. You cannot determine "why" someone looks the way they do just by looking at them. These days so many people are on medications that can cause them to look awful. As far as the color of her skin, you don't know if it was natural or not. It might have been lousy makeup. Your skin cells replace themselves constantly. If you eat well, get fresh air and remain hydrated, there is no reason why tanning should cause any aging symptoms at all, that is a myth.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 04:33 PM
 
15,613 posts, read 32,122,878 times
Reputation: 19463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Her mother might have looked just the same and never been anywhere near a tanning booth. Genetics plays a huge part in how people age. I am 58 years old and I don't have any wrinkles because I am of Mediterranean heritage. Yet, I see people 1/2 my age that are a mass of wrinkles. You cannot determine "why" someone looks the way they do just by looking at them. These days so many people are on medications that can cause them to look awful. As far as the color of her skin, you don't know if it was natural or not. It might have been lousy makeup. Your skin cells replace themselves constantly. If you eat well, get fresh air and remain hydrated, there is no reason why tanning should cause any aging symptoms at all, that is a myth.

20yrsinBranson
100% agree^^^! I am Mediterranean heritage also, and at 64 have no wrinkles. I too know people half my age with a ton of wrinkles whether or not they went in the sun. Genetics and healthy lifestyle are really what determines how we look as we age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
 
2,245 posts, read 2,182,702 times
Reputation: 4020
I like both. I can respect a women who uses spf 50 and shades herself as much as possible but also admit a little tan looks pretty darn good. But if you're laying out in the sun day after day baking, not so attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,568,878 times
Reputation: 6331
OK, I do agree that though I prefer women with smooth snow white skin. Women with a light shade of natural tan combined with a sexy body wow me quite a bit as well.

BTW, just out of curiosity I want to know how this craze over tanning originated in the first place, and why are women under so much pressure to sport off a sexy tan .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM
 
Location: SC
389 posts, read 584,641 times
Reputation: 611
I think it's crazy I'm part of a counter-culture in this country since I actually LIKE my coloring which includes fair skin, so I don't attempt to tan it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,568,878 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
I think it's crazy I'm part of a counter-culture in this country since I actually LIKE my coloring which includes fair skin, so I don't attempt to tan it...


Good intentions. Just take care of the skin god has bestowed you with and beauty automatically reveals itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,568,878 times
Reputation: 6331
Here is a women flaunting her beautiful natural tan :

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top