U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,450,010 times

Advertisements

Celebrated 40th birthday by having my ears pierced, then discovered I was allergic to metals not using at least 14 carat gold or sterling silver. Didn't always wear earrings and the holes closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 1 day ago)

48,225 posts, read 38,737,557 times
I don't see why people feel they need to choose either/or.

I collect vintage and antique jewelry and so I have a lot of clip on earrings. I also have pierced ears. When I'm buying newly manufactured earrings, I usually buy the pierced style. When I find a pair of fabulous vintage or antique clip earrings, I buy them.

If the clips are too tight or too loose, they are usually easy to fix (I check that before I buy them). I do not generally buy the screw on type though, unless they are a style that can be converted to another sort of clip or to pierced, because the screw on earrings tend to get stuck in my existing piercing hole - and THAT is extremely stressful and painful!

An aside note - what got me hooked on collecting vintage/antique jewelry is that my great grandmother LOVED good quality costume jewelry and my grandmother kept and gave all her mother's jewelry to me. Then my grandmother was a youngish, stylish woman during the 1930s thru the 1950s and my grandfather was in the movie industry - so my grandmother bought and wore some FABULOUS costume jewelry, which she also gave me (lucky only granddaughter!). All that gorgeous art deco and "movie star" jewelry got me completely hooked on vintage jewelry. Ever since I was a teenager I've worn those wonderful brooches, necklaces, earrings, etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,279,311 times
I have to wear clip-ons, although I would prefer to wear pierced -- unfortunately, I appear to have some sort of allergic reaction to a variety of metals, even 22K gold, surgical steel, etc. when I wear them in my ears. They get all puffed up and red. After fighting it for years, I just said, "phooey, it's not worth it," and wear clips.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,785,833 times
Neither for me!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM

994 posts, read 1,313,563 times
I definitely think of clips as an old lady thing. My late paternal grandmother (bless her soul) is the one of two people I know who wore them regularly. The other person is my cousin who's my age (20s) but is a 7th day Adventist, and they condemn jewelry and body modification.

If I saw someone my age wearing clip earrings for any reason that's not religious, I'd think that person was lame.

ETA: Okay, allergies are a legit excuse, too.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM

22,160 posts, read 23,762,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I definitely think of clips as an old lady thing. My late paternal grandmother (bless her soul) is the one of two people I know who wore them regularly. The other person is my cousin who's my age (20s) but is a 7th day Adventist, and they condemn jewelry and body modification.

If I saw someone my age wearing clip earrings for any reason that's not religious, I'd think that person was lame.

ETA: Okay, allergies are a legit excuse, too.
You'd really pay enough attention to someone's earrings to decide they were clip-ons and then make a judgement about their "lameness" based on that? Wow.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM

2,454 posts, read 2,740,805 times
Pierced. I do have memories of my mother in the 1950s dressed for events removing her clip-on earrings first thing afterwards. Yikes, I've tried them on just for fun and could never wear them!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM

994 posts, read 1,313,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You'd really pay enough attention to someone's earrings to decide they were clip-ons and then make a judgement about their "lameness" based on that? Wow.
No, I don't look to see if someone's earrings are clip. Like I said, I've only ever known two people to wear them so I didn't think it was that common. If I do happen to see that a person is wearing clips, yep, I'll think that person is lame.

Is that shallow? Sure it is. But first impressions are always shallow. It's not like I'm calling for their execution or anything, I just think fake piercings are corny.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 1 day ago)

48,225 posts, read 38,737,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
No, I don't look to see if someone's earrings are clip. Like I said, I've only ever known two people to wear them so I didn't think it was that common. If I do happen to see that a person is wearing clips, yep, I'll think that person is lame.

Is that shallow? Sure it is. But first impressions are always shallow. It's not like I'm calling for their execution or anything, I just think fake piercings are corny.
You think that someone wearing clip ons is "faking a piercing?"

Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM

2,919 posts, read 4,780,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You think that someone wearing clip ons is "faking a piercing?"
I'm still laughing over the term "lame"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty