U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,791,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I just think fake piercings are corny.
Clip-ons are not fake piercings!

:::sheesh:::

I think it is lame to think that! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:12 PM

4,426 posts, read 3,362,266 times
My ears have been pierced since I was a little girl. Most of my earrings are for pierced ears.

However, I do wear clip-ons sometimes--usually for large, heavy styles that would be too weighty for my earlobes.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:14 PM

11,318 posts, read 21,469,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I have to wear clip-ons, although I would prefer to wear pierced -- unfortunately, I appear to have some sort of allergic reaction to a variety of metals, even 22K gold, surgical steel, etc. when I wear them in my ears. They get all puffed up and red. After fighting it for years, I just said, "phooey, it's not worth it," and wear clips.
My daughter has the same problem. We've had her ears pierced twice, because she really wanted them pierced, and both times she's had problems with swelling

Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,016,599 times
I also had mine pierced by my doctor 43 years ago. Just thought I'd mention this: I had friends who wore heavy long
earings in pierced ears (for years) and with age the lobe and hole got bigger. l see no problem with clip-ons, they just never
seemed to stay in place for me and would fall off.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 6,746,532 times
I am assuming people think clips are an older person thing because back in the day people did not get their ears pierced as much as they do now. So often they would wear clips. Now most people do have their ears pierced so they would be less likely to wear clips on especially since there is less to pick from for earring choices.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:11 AM

5,086 posts, read 7,996,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
So, just a little survey, what do you wear, peirced or clip? Are clips more an older lady thing?
Pierced. I would say clips are for older ladies. I have known ladies who wear clips due to religious reasons against piercing. Although there are some nice vintage clips available, I think they are a PIA because they usually have to be worn really tight to stay in place.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 4,781,293 times
It's interesting to read the different opinions on earrings. Most comments regarding clip earrings are that those are mainly for older ladies. When I wanted to get my ears pierced in the early 70s, my mom, then in her late forties, said that she only remembered the older ladies having pierced ears.

What goes around comes around! Seems that pierced ears were the norm until the 1920s or so, then only came back en vogue in the late 60s-70s. I wonder if they will go out of style again----

Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,105,442 times
I have only worn pierced so I can't speak for clip-ons. I do think they would probably pinch and hurt. I have never really seen many clip-ons that I would want to wear, either.

I know one of my old bosses wanted me to make her a certain pair of earrings and she only wore the clip ons so I had to get the materials to make them.

I barely wear any at all, but I am sticking with the pierced.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 AM

748 posts, read 1,446,873 times
I don't wear either, I don't want the pain from the piercing and never really thought to wear clip ons, earrings really just are not my thing.

My grandmother had some clip ons when I was a kid that I would play with, outside of that I haven't seen clip ons much.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,878,792 times
I don't have pierced ears, so I can only wear clips. However, there aren't that many nice clip earrings available, that also don't hurt and stay on, so I don't wear them very often at all. However, the few nice pairs of clips that I do have, I'm pretty sure can't be distinguished from pierced earrings, so it makes no sense to say they look corny or old lady. I recently discovered that I can actually turn pierced earrings into clip earrings (the dangle kind), by just detaching the pierced earring from the hook (it's usually attached by a little loop), and re-attaching it onto the loop of the clip part of the clip earring. While many clips are uncomfortable or don't stay on, I have some that are comfortable and do stay on, and I just use the clip part of those to make whatever earring I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty