U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,096,309 times

Advertisements

I'm not Muslim, so I don't know if I should be answering this, but hijabs can be tied and draped for aesthetic effect and fashion trends. A voluminous, plumped up hijab is a particular style. (Yes, you can be a modest Muslim woman and still care about fashion.)

I think some women have a lot of hair and can either ponytail it or bun it in such a way that when a hijab is draped over it, it looks like there is "a backpack or purse in the back of their head", as you put it.

Also, there are volumizing hijab/hair scrunchies or hair donuts if a Muslim woman doesn't have a lot of hair and/or she wants extra volume. They are big poofy scrunchies that are made from a thick chenille or some other poofy material similar to that used in shower poufs.

It's basically the same concept as any hair volumizer product/insert in mainstream culture. A lot of the big, fancy updos you see on formal occasions or on the red carpet or on the TV/movie screen have been augmented with products similar to the above. See:

Then there are products like the Bump It:

And crown volumizing clip-on hair extensions:

New Crown Volumizer for Thinning Hair by Hairdo. - YouTube

Big hair. Big hijab. Same concept.

Women, no matter how culturally different, have more in common than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,562,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They appear to have something the size of a backpack or purse in the back of their head. Some are larger than others. What is it?
I wonder what they keep in those big handbags they carry around.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,761,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Hair- some women have more hair than others.
Lol yeah hair, duh haha

Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM

59,613 posts, read 57,134,827 times
A friend of mine lives in Jordan right now. She tells me the style there is to put the hair up then wrap it in a scarf, making them seem to have giant heads. Then the girls wear skinny jeans and long-sleeved tops with ultra high heels, and finish off the look with big Jackie Onassis sunglasses. She says they look like aliens walking around in skinny jeans and high heels.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,033,723 times
Many muslim women have long, and often thick hair, both of which create volume. Also, when worn in an "updo" style, it will make the scarf pouf out more, too--a look which I think can be very flattering.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,033,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I wonder what they keep in those big handbags they carry around.
Big handbags? Anything and everything from smartphone, I-Pad, cosmetics, pepper spray, to their miniature dog. I carry my money, cards, hairbrush, cell phone, lipstick, but my Labrador retriever just won't fit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty