U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM

37,232 posts, read 43,567,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Please do not 'splurge' on a Tiffany piece.

If you find something which you like, take the design/designs/ideas to a private jeweler (not a storefront operation) and have them make a nice piece for you.

The work will be of much higher quality, and much lower price. Probably half of the price of the Tiffany pieces which you showed goes for the cache of the little blue box. We've all been there, but learned our lesson. You can learn it early in life and give your sister a piece of heirloom quality which she will treasure for a lifetime.
Oh, Tiffany carries plenty that is not particularly splurge-y, or any higher priced than what you'd find in any other nicer jewelry store. You can spend exorbitant amounts there, but you certainly don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM

42,717 posts, read 45,443,970 times
The horseshoe means goodluck. And March is only 3 months away. You can wear it whenever or St.Patty's day. Many in my family wear it because of Irish heritage.
The first is 150.
While the rings is in with the shapes fad it's 250.

Honestly both are pretty.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,797,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The horseshoe means goodluck. And March is only 3 months away. You can wear it whenever or St.Patty's day.
Shamrocks are preferred over horseshoes by the Irish I know.
Funny how things differ in different areas!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,824,914 times
Both are pretty, but I'd probably choose the interlocking circles as well. I see they are "18 length chains, do you happen to know what length of chain she prefers? Some women do have a preference. I prefer "16 myself and always check the length before I buy. I just wanted to throw that out there if you think she's particular at all.

Very nice gift to give your sister, what a lucky girl!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 PM

37,232 posts, read 43,567,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Shamrocks are preferred over horseshoes by the Irish I know.
Funny how things differ in different areas!
I'm Irish, and have much more jewelry that is celtic knotwork/druidic tree of life symbols and shamrock than horseshoes. I've never gone in much for the "lucky horseshoe" thing, except that my parents have a horseshoe hung over the front door to their house, for good luck, and have for over forty years. It's an old school thing.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:14 PM

23,871 posts, read 30,683,194 times
I have raised horses all my life and I don't like the horseshoe one. So being into horses is not going to guarantee that she likes the horse shoe.

In fact, I know thousands of horse people and none of them wears horse shoes. Gamblers are the people who might wear a horseshoe. (horse people wear jewelry with snaffle bits)

If you would like to buy it for me, I prefer the circle one. I don't have even the slightest clue what your sister might like. She would probably like either one, especially considering that you are not showing her both and she will only see the one that she gets.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM

192 posts, read 351,498 times
I agree with those who said the horseshoe will easily look more dated and is more specific to a person. The circles one actually reminds me of a pair of earrings that I have except they are gold, I get a lot of compliments on them.

BTW, the horseshoe seems to me more likely to get caught on things.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,558,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Please do not 'splurge' on a Tiffany piece.

If you find something which you like, take the design/designs/ideas to a private jeweler (not a storefront operation) and have them make a nice piece for you.

The work will be of much higher quality, and much lower price. Probably half of the price of the Tiffany pieces which you showed goes for the cache of the little blue box. We've all been there, but learned our lesson. You can learn it early in life and give your sister a piece of heirloom quality which she will treasure for a lifetime.
This!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,027,339 times
Circles.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,741,887 times
I guess maybe the circles since the horseshoe is pretty specific. Circles are classic - back in the day wearing a circle pin meant you were a virgin but you'd have to be over 60 to remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty