Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonpie View Post
what I do about the black men in real life who are out with their lightskinned S/Os? it triggers sadness, anger and depression. I feel rejected
You're allowing yourself to feel rejected. That is a choice. You're stuck in habitual thought patterns. Try looking for people who don't fit the pattern you're fixated on. Are there other dark-skinned women where you live? What are they doing? Who are they with? How do they look, dress, behave? Do they look angry/depressed, or do they smile or look pleasant?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 PM

101 posts, read 102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're allowing yourself to feel rejected. That is a choice. You're stuck in habitual thought patterns. Try looking for people who don't fit the pattern you're fixated on. Are there other dark-skinned women where you live? What are they doing? Who are they with? How do they look, dress, behave? Do they look angry/depressed, or do they smile or look pleasant?
the ones I know don't have great lives, some are unhappy with being dark, others are in denial about colorism and ignore the abuse they endure. A lot of them are ignored. Like at work, no one really pays them any mind unless they do something out there and wear a light colored wig or something. Usually its the light complected people who are validated or acknowledged. Everyone knows who they are. I. know I get confused with other dark women a lot which makes me feel like I'm not important or very pretty

Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
Quote:
As long as the media pushes images of women who are lightskinned, white or mixed down my throat. I will never ever be happy. I'll always feel unhappy and incomplete. I always dream of a day that I can wake up and see nothing but positive images of women who are darkskinned and fully black like me. Or hear men say they prefer a darkskinned blk woman. I'd be so happy and wouldn't have all this anger inside. But that will never happen
Don't be so angry about something you can't control. Such a complete waste of time. Sad.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
This is very sad if it's true.

Did your parents ever tell you you were beautiful as a child? Have you always felt like this or just when you started dating/reached adulthood. I have to say I don't feel the same way you do about being a darker skinned black woman. I honestly wouldn't want to be anything BUT black. Obviously you and I as well as several other black women have had very different life experiences. I'd seriously consider moving if I were you.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post

Did your parents ever tell you you were beautiful as a child? Have you always felt like this or just when you started dating/reached adulthood. I have to say I don't feel the same way you do about being a darker skinned black woman. I honestly wouldn't want to be anything BUT black. Obviously you and I as well as several other black women have had very different life experiences. I'd seriously consider moving if I were you.
Good post. The OP hasn't told us yet where she lives. I'm curious to know. Locale can really make a difference for dating success.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 PM

368 posts, read 577,498 times
The media shouldn't affect your life this much lol.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
so because your white brother was with a very darkskinned black woman, that means the standard of beauty has changed, and that you'll see dark women praised as the standard of beauty in society? will we see women like her on the cover of every magazine? or see black men like kanye west and jay z dating women like her?
The standard of beauty for my brother has always been dark skinned women and as far as kanye west and jay z I have no clue, don't know them, don't want to know them, don't know what they think of dark skinned women.

Not that it will do any good however, all women no matter what color of skin are the standard of beauty for someone.

Get your head out of the reality television programs, rag sheets and other gossip and take a giant step into the real world of men, women and beauty.

YOU are YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY and no one but you can change that except you don't want to change that because you enjoy your self loathing pity party so........

carry on and enjoy and I do wish you everything you deserve in your lifetime.

PS ~~ Please seek serious therapy with a professional very soon or at the very least find a new topic to wallow in the pity pool about.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
As long as the media pushes images of women who are lightskinned, white or mixed down my throat. I will never ever be happy. I'll always feel unhappy and incomplete. I always dream of a day that I can wake up and see nothing but positive images of women who are darkskinned and fully black like me. Or hear men say they prefer a darkskinned blk woman. I'd be so happy and wouldn't have all this anger inside. But that will never happen
Well hello there, Nyanna.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well hello there, Nyanna.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions! I just didn't feel like doing the legwork, lol

Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 AM

101 posts, read 102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post

I've felt like this since I started noticing in middle school that most boys preferred lighter complected girls. I've also been ridiculed for my complexion by black men in my adulthood, some black man in a convenience store told me that I was dark and not as beautiful as his lightskinned girlfriend. Of course when I told people what happened, I was told I had 'victim energy' and that is why he insulted me. No matter what, black men are always protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty