U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM

2,203 posts, read 2,982,639 times

Advertisements

Cant go wrong with Channel # 5, especially for the older women. It is lovely.

My personal favorite is Light Blue from Dolce and Gabanna. It is citrus-y, light and long lasting. Every time I wear it at work someone asks me what lovely scent I am wearing. Men love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,738,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dior's. J'adore
Estée Lauder. Pleasures

Any woman of any age will love either of these.
Sorry, but no. That is not true.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 AM

5,647 posts, read 5,135,963 times
What about putting together a collection of assorted perfumes in small sizes? You can find them for about $7 each. If you want to go the extra mile, you can include sample size fragrances that can usually be gotten for free at perfume counters in nicer stores. I know I would love to receive something like that, as it would give me an opportunity to try new fragrances without being stuck with a large bottle of something I may not like.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,738,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What about putting together a collection of assorted perfumes in small sizes? You can find them for about $7 each. If you want to go the extra mile, you can include sample size fragrances that can usually be gotten for free at perfume counters in nicer stores. I know I would love to receive something like that, as it would give me an opportunity to try new fragrances without being stuck with a large bottle of something I may not like.

That's a great idea!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,822,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Are you sure they even wear perfume? I don't, and I really hate it. I have tons of perfume gifts, some quite expensive, sitting in a box in my closet. I also wish no one else would wear it.
I would be more than happy to take all of that off your hands.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM

37,227 posts, read 43,487,473 times
I have gotten sample packs as gifts before, and it IS a nice thing to be able to test out different fragrances, and makes it not a big deal of some are not your cup of tea.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,451,397 times
Sephora has a gift set that includes trial sizes of their popular and classic scents. The bonus is an attached gift card for a regular size bottle of your favorite. They are located in many states and online. Romance by RL is a nice floral perfume which I second but my.personal favorite is Burberry Brit and Burberry Classic. Both oriental scents that are long wearing and exotic yet classic and chic. Maybe not for grandma but def women 30+.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,608,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Their age and what they like has NOTHING to do with how a perfume will smell on them. Where they live is even more irrelevant!
(As if all divorced atheists in Santa Fe wear the same perfume....)
They need to sample the scents and see which one they personally like.

Save your money! $40 - $75 per bottle is a huge gamble.
I've always believed that perfume should match someone's personality. Both in the sent itself, and the design of the bottle (which will be displayed on her dresser for all to see). For example, I'd never give my Godmother Heiress by Paris Hilton. Nor would I give Young Sexy Lovely by Yves Saint Laurent to my sister or Angel by Thierry Mugler to my mother.

I'll also be giving them gift receipts if they don't care for the sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I agree that perfume likes and dislikes are really personal, and what smells good to one person doesn't suit another at all, and it's really hard to predict what people will like (and some people hate fragrance, period). Your best bet if gifting with perfume is to find out if they wear it, and if so, what they already like, and get a new bottle of that. My dad gets my mom a new bottle of Lancome Tresor every year...it's not a surprise, but it's a tradition.

That said, the idea of predicting a scent for a given personality/archetype seems fun to me in a magazine quiz way, so I'll play. Do not take these as indicators of what you should buy, due to what I mentioned in the above paragraph - find out what they like..but for fun, here are my recommendations based on characteristics provided:

Grandma: Elizabeth Arden Untold

Mom: Patchouli

sister: Philosophy Pure Grace

Godmother: Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose
Thank you so much, Tabula! This is great stuff. I actually wanna get mom perfume so she'll move away from patchouli (I can't stand it ). But all your other advice is fantastic. Based on the bottle alone, I think Penhaligon will be perfect for my godmother, and philosophy, is just right for my sister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dior's. J'adore
Estée Lauder. Pleasures

Any woman of any age will love either of these.
This is great advice, but I don't want to get them all the same thing. But I'll keep these in mind for when I got to the mall this weekend. (Ugh...just thinking about the mall this late in the season makes me cringe...but I did it to myself )

Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,608,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Cant go wrong with Channel # 5, especially for the older women. It is lovely.

My personal favorite is Light Blue from Dolce and Gabanna. It is citrus-y, light and long lasting. Every time I wear it at work someone asks me what lovely scent I am wearing. Men love it.
As a flight attendant, I'm sure you come across your fair share of really bad perfumes. Your recommendation means a lot

Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM

44,157 posts, read 54,273,441 times
I think scents are better given to someone by their significant others...they know what they smell like, they spend the most time smack dab all up on them, and they know their body chemistry a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty