U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,711,764 times

Advertisements

With all the scented body products on the market now, do women still even wear perfume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,023,810 times
Give them all Chanel #5. I still yet have to meet a woman who;d say she doesn't like it.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM

535 posts, read 734,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sorry, but no. That is not true.

Well maybe not ANY woman, lol.....may have exaggerated ....but any time I wear either of these two scents, I am asked the name of the perfume I'm wearing......by members of both genders. Also,can't count the number of grateful women friends I have gifted with these two fragrances.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,918,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Sephora has a gift set that includes trial sizes of their popular and classic scents. The bonus is an attached gift card for a regular size bottle of your favorite. They are located in many states and online. Romance by RL is a nice floral perfume which I second but my.personal favorite is Burberry Brit and Burberry Classic. Both oriental scents that are long wearing and exotic yet classic and chic. Maybe not for grandma but def women 30+.
Sephora's fragrance sampler is a good idea. That way, the recipient gets to test drive the scent and see how it reacts to their skin before they commit to a favorite. Sometimes a perfume may smell wonderful in the bottle, but not after wearing it. Looks like it gives quite a few options and is within the OP's price range, too.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 PM

11,109 posts, read 15,753,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've decided it would be fun to give perfume to the girls on my Christmas list, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking to spend $40-$75 dollars per bottle. Here are the people I'm buying for:

Grandma: 87-years old. Red head. Politically conservative. Very extroverted. Loud. Lives in Jersey. Divorced.

Mom: 56-years old. Earthy hippie. Likes rock music. Liberal. Atheist. Lives in Santa Fe. Divorced.

My sister: 30. Lawyer. Very liberal, but very serious. Lives in a bland West-coast suburb. Neurotically clean. Perpetually single.

My Godmother: 64. High-strung. Workaholic. Chocoholic. Always stressed. Perfect posture. Skinny. Widowed. Moderate Democrat. Practicing Catholic. Lives in Jersey.

Thanks so much in advance for the advice!

Truly don't want to rain on your parade, but most women don't want perfume chosen for them. They like to choose their own; and may not even need or want any perfume. You can have seven women wearing the same scent, and it will smell differently on every one. It's like buying lipstick for a woman because you like the color. But I'll take a gift card for $100, because after Christmas I can get $200 worth of goodies.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,356,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I've always believed that perfume should match someone's personality. Both in the sent itself, and the design of the bottle (which will be displayed on her dresser for all to see).
1) Scent changes based on a person's body chemistry. So sure, it can match their personality, but if the ingredients used in the perfume don't work well with the person's body chemistry, it can smell bad, and/or be irritating to the person who's wearing it. There is no way you can know if a perfume will end up working on a person without the person trying it on.

2) You're assuming that people who don't currently own or wear perfume will want a perfume bottle taking up space on their dresser. The only time I've had perfume, I kept the bottle in the medicine cabinet. Same with all my friends, and my mom - it's never on display, regardless of how nice the bottle is.

My point is, you have a very romantic, yet not very realistic, view of this. You'll spend up to $75.00 on a bottle of perfume that you think matches the person's personality, but the person (especially one who may not even like perfume) may not like the scent at all, the scent may not be a good match for their body chemistry, and/or they may have no desire to display it anywhere in their house. Go ahead and spend whatever you want - it's your money - but be aware that the gift may end up being given away, thrown away, or left to go bad in a dusty corner of a closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Sephora's fragrance sampler is a good idea. That way, the recipient gets to test drive the scent and see how it reacts to their skin before they commit to a favorite. Sometimes a perfume may smell wonderful in the bottle, but not after wearing it. Looks like it gives quite a few options and is within the OP's price range, too.
The Sephora fragrance sampler is a fantastic idea. I want to get it for myself, actually.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,617,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Give them all Chanel #5. I still yet have to meet a woman who;d say she doesn't like it.
I don't like it.

As to the OP, as others have said, fragrance is very personal. The older I get, the less that I like fragrance. I do wear LaSavane by Tijon, and I also like the Philosophy fragrances, which might work well for the ladies you are buying for. Pure Grace from Philosophy is a very clean scent, like just getting out of the shower, and that is one that I think anyone would like, especially in the summer. Baby Grace is also very popular, along with Amazing Grace. Check out the Philosophy website for fragrance descriptions.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM

13,984 posts, read 47,225 times
Scent!!! Everyone has his or her body chemistry - it has to work. Ask what they use and you will hit the spot for Christmas.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM

677 posts, read 920,753 times
You have received many good suggestions for your Mom but I am going to suggest Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise -- very nice clean scent with some undertones that she should like -- and in a very pretty bottle. You don't smell it everywhere and it is not too expensive. I received a bottle as a gift and love it and receive many compliments. Read this review:

Click here: Pure Turquoise Ralph Lauren perfume - a fragrance for women 2005

Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 PM

46 posts, read 63,259 times
Include a gift receipt, it's the best way when you are taking a chance on something they might not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty