U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,498,878 times

Advertisements

Some of the blondes out there probably are wearing wigs, though I have no idea what percentage. (Most blond-haired black women must be using wigs, but I think this discussion is implicitly about white women.)

You know, Marilyn Monroe is blamed for the preponderance of dyed blondes, but I think Veronica Lake, with beautiful natural blonde hair, might have been the first to inspire blonde imitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM

22,338 posts, read 15,083,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some of the blondes out there probably are wearing wigs, though I have no idea what percentage. (Most blond-haired black women must be using wigs, but I think this discussion is implicitly about white women.)

You know, Marilyn Monroe is blamed for the preponderance of dyed blondes, but I think Veronica Lake, with beautiful natural blonde hair, might have been the first to inspire blonde imitations.
Some "black" women do wear blonde wigs. However others have the front of their hair bleached and toned then the rest covered by a weave, or simply wear a full weave of blonde hair. Mary J. Blige and other female rappers employ these various means.

The final recourse is to wear what are called "lace front" wigs which are time consuming to fit and put on properly. Rupaul among other AA "women" (yes I know but am making a point here), do this as well.

Final, final option is to go with what Oprah has done; stop relaxing the hair chemically so it can be dyed/highlighted to deal with the gray, and maybe add some "hair".

As with other races older black women can often look great with gray hair that is highlighted with light brown to deep blonde shades. Problem is double processing most AA hair (lye relaxer over permanent hair color) is a recipe for disaster. So one has to go and most women choose colour over relaxer at some point to deal with the grey if they are going to go that route.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,083,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Well, I'm a totally natural blonde (with blue eyes). I had totally white hair when I was born. It's more of a light golden blonde now. Of course, my ancestry is totally Scandinavian, and I am a first-generation American.

Fortunately my light blonde hair isn't showing any grays, yet, so luckily I've never had to color my hair. I hate going to beauty parlors and I hate fussing with my hair. Fortunately, my hair is very easy to maintain. It is pretty hair, I must admit. No matter how terrible the rest of me looks, my hair looks nice.

On the other hand, because of my blondeness, I have excessively fair skin that burns easily. I love going outside in the summer, and I have to absolutely SLATHER sunblock on my face and body. It makes my skin break out. It's also really hard to wash off all that sunblock in the shower at night. It's like I am wearing glue. I must keep sunblock with me at all times during the summer.

I also have to wear huge hats to protect my head and face from the sun (I can't stand putting sunblock on top of my head), and I look absolutely ridiculous in them, because the hats are huge and I am small. I always keep a box of sunhats in the car during the summer. After I had a sunburned scalp I learned my lesson. That was painful.
Just curious. Is your hair very fine or thicker? I've always heard that blondes with mostly scandanivian ancestry have thicker hair than the British kind.

I still remember my last time at the beach. I had LOTS of sunblock but wore heavy bangs then. The rest of me mearly got sunburned. My forhead and scalp even blistered. I've since developed a rash reaction to too much sun so I limit it considerably.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:08 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,328,056 times
I never did get the entire "dye your hair blonde" thing that so many brunettes are into.

1) I think it is damaging to hair to varying degrees. (You'll never convince me that someone as dark haired as Kim Kardashian dying her hair to a platinum or even light blond state isn't harmful.)

2) I just don't get not liking something about my own look to the point where I'd do something that damaging to change it.

Being blond sure can change your look though. I remember the first time I saw actress Loni Anderson as her natural brunette self. I didn't even recognize her.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM

777 posts, read 868,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Being blond sure can change your look though. I remember the first time I saw actress Loni Anderson as her natural brunette self. I didn't even recognize her.
I agree. Loni does look different. I was reading Loni Anderson's biography "My Life in High Heels" and she mentioned how she was constantly mistaken for a black woman. She actually got called a N-word and was refused services in a restaurant because the owner thought she was a black woman. A white woman also called her "dirty."

Old 01-02-2014, 04:36 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,328,056 times
Wow. The ignorance.....

Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 11 days ago)

48,537 posts, read 38,900,491 times
I had very light blonde hair that was in ringlets as an infant and toddler. It became strawberry blonde till I was about five, then turned to a honey brown - a very light brown with lots of amber and red to it. By the time I was in jr high my hair was auburn. As an adult, I had four kids and my hair darkened with each pregnancy. Now it's very dark brown. My eyes and eyebrows have always been very, very dark brown.

Me as a toddler - with very short lived blonde hair. I don't look like blondes have more fun in this picture though - LOL!

I have never bleached my thick, curly hair blonde. I look ridiculous as a blonde! The most I've ever done is highlight it, but the damage was never worth the look, so I've only done that a couple of times (always regretted it too).

I've enjoyed life as a dark haired, dark eyed woman!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM

12,304 posts, read 11,211,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I never did get the entire "dye your hair blonde" thing that so many brunettes are into.

1) I think it is damaging to hair to varying degrees. (You'll never convince me that someone as dark haired as Kim Kardashian dying her hair to a platinum or even light blond state isn't harmful.)
Usually you don't dye your hair blonde if you're a brunette. You get it bleached first. Sometimes you'll dye it after you bleach it. It's extremely difficult to dye something a significantly lighter color. You can't dye black fabric white. You have to bleach it first. Same with hair.

Dyeing your hair doesn't damage it. The colorant is absorbed by your dead hair. Nothing to damage really. It's already dead. Bleaching, on the other hand, can really damage your hair even though it's dead. Overbleaching can cause it to break and/or fall out. Those chemicals are nasty and stink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or