U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 13,177,395 times

Advertisements

The "blondes are dumb" thing caught me in a big way once, and taught me a lesson. Years ago I worked for a medical school. One of the departmental secretaries was a beautiful young woman with waist length platinum blond hair, so fine it looked like silk. I dismissed her as just another party girl, until the day she quit. She had just finished her degree in biochemistry, and was moving on. I apologized. She managed to be almost gracious, but she had known for years that I was being an ass. I felt really stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM

9,158 posts, read 15,162,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's very hard to get the chemistry right for red hair coloring. Most bottle redheads are obviously artificial. However, natural red hair can be a show stopper. I know a woman (Portugese, strangely enough) with natural curly red hair that is fabulous. This photo was a Halloween party. In real life, she is an architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Blonde hair is not so common in some areas of the US, I used to live in New York, and often went on excursions to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, the places I went to were jam packed with brunettes, no blonde hair, all ethnic Italian, Jewish...I was the only blonde in the bar! And usually had lines of drinks, men wanting to talk to me, because I was different from the norm there.
Contrary to popular belief, not all Jews (and Italians and Portuguese for that matter) have dark hair/eyes and olive-y skin. What I often see (and more so in Jews than the latter 2 groups, at least I base this partially on observation of both mine and my wife's family) are cases where you having siblings with blonde hair/blue eyes and siblings who could "pass" for the light end of Arab or Latino in the same family with the same parents! I certainly don't think these groups have natural blonde hair to the extent that Scandanavians or even the Irish do, but at the same time there's more of it than you think.

In fact there are some out there that actually stereotype RED hair with Jewish people. I did once see a study somewhere that (and the study was puzzled where it came from genetically, though the Bible does mention people with red hair, notably Esau) that the only white ethnic group with a higher percentage of red hair than Jews of European origin were the Irish and their neighbors (Scots, Welsh, etc.).

Then there is cases like myself where I have the stereotypical dark curly hair but blue eyes.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 46,126 times
I never saw blondes as dumb my entire life, I have only seen them as stuck up and full of themselves along with being materialistic but that is because I have known a lot of blondes like that. Usually found working at fashion stores, fake blonde hair most cases, fake tans too, and I even worked with a girl like that when I was doing my summer job at American Eagle. The amount of time these girls spent gossiping and just making fun of anyone that wasn't fashionable was unreal. The way these girls treated people was insane and two of them I knew, their mothers (also blonde) were the same exact way.

Only see this with Americans though.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:27 PM

9,975 posts, read 9,497,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
LOL

I'm a natural blonde, and so was mom. She always drew in the brows. I usually don't bother but discovered henna works on them too, thought you have to repeat it. I'd LOVE to have eyebrows you can see....

Some of my grandparents and their parents had red hair and I really wish I'd had that over blonde.
I am a natural blonde too and always had problems with my invisible blonde eyebrows. I use to do the eyebrow pencil deal but I don't bother anymore. Our daughter was born with a head full of pure platinum blonde hair.

I think blonde is a job requirement on one of the network news channels. All one has to do is look at their roots.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 19,703 times
To the OP, blonds have more fun. That's why so many women dye or highlight their hair. I have light brown hair highlighted blond. I have pale skin and blond body hair with light eyebrows that I have to darken. So the blond works for me.

I went medium blond last winter and got less attention from men then I'm used to. Switched back to light blond and the normal attention began again.

So, its true that Blonds have more fun! And I definitely get pegged for being less intelligent because of it, but that helps me weed out men. The ones thinking i'll be an easy lay run for the hills when they find out how smart I am. The good ones, who are interested in me on a deeper level, are intrigued and stick around.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:54 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,029,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
was thinking the same thing. Lots of natural blondes in my country too, the southern appalachians. Just depends upon where you go.

Both my sisters were blonde, one platinum who maintained her color no darker than an ash blonde, the other a golden blonde who turned dark in her 20s. Blonde just darkens with time for the most part.

I had copper blonde hair, that stayed that way though most of my life. At my age though I have lost all color and my hair is just fair. So my hairdresser is reluctantly highlighting with silver to ease me into the inevitable.
My hair just turned a darkish blonde which I lightened until I realized it was destroying my hair. It's baby fine and I have to be careful. Bottle red was an adventure, and not successful but henna has been wonderful and makes the fine hair stronger. And no accidental purple. I get true red tones with henna.

A lot of women with darkish blond hair just end up doing a slightly darker shade at some point and take it to auburn since its less damaging than heavy bleaching.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,029,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I am a natural blonde too and always had problems with my invisible blonde eyebrows. I use to do the eyebrow pencil deal but I don't bother anymore. Our daughter was born with a head full of pure platinum blonde hair.

I think blonde is a job requirement on one of the network news channels. All one has to do is look at their roots.
What gets me is they all have the same hair style. Side part, shoulder length, if they aren't younger than the average. Sadly I admit to the same but its for ease and since I can't stand bangs.

My son started out blond and as his dad had red hair, and its in my family, he started turning red before his teens. Sadly he also inherited my dads hairline over his other grandfather with a full head of it so hair color won't be much of an issue for him.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM

20 posts, read 46,126 times
I never got where the dumb blonde stereotype came from, Northern European countries on average score higher on IQ tests anyways. As I said, the only thing I have found to be true of blonde females here in America is that they are:

1. Stuck up
2. Arrogant
3. Have a superiority compex
4. Tend to treat anyone outside of their social circle as a waste of life

This has been my experience so far. I have met some decent ones but what I said has been the case quite often.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,565,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
90% of the "blondes" you see are not natural. There are many reasons why women choose this. One of them is the youthful appearance and makes your skin tone look better.. That is more the case of a natural blonde though.
My wife and her sister are natural and when the visited Italy they literally had men proposing to them.
One of the things i cant stand are bleached blondes (that were brunette) with fake boobs! I cant see why women do this.
Italian men are big flirts, that's just what they do. I look like the average italian(I am a brunette) and they also flirted with me. As long as you are not their mother or their sister, you are a target.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:17 PM

22,186 posts, read 14,945,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Mel Brook View Post
I never got where the dumb blonde stereotype came from, Northern European countries on average score higher on IQ tests anyways. As I said, the only thing I have found to be true of blonde females here in America is that they are:

1. Stuck up
2. Arrogant
3. Have a superiority compex
4. Tend to treat anyone outside of their social circle as a waste of life

This has been my experience so far. I have met some decent ones but what I said has been the case quite often.
Dumb blonde came about mainly as a Hollywood myth a la Marilyn Monroe, Jean Harlow, Jayne Mansfield and so forth. Mind you many of those women were very intelligent (Jane Mansfield had a very high IQ, and spoke several languages).

The idea is that men (at least North Americans) do not or did not like beautiful women that were smart. So you gradually see two types of stereotypes emerging; blondes were not very bright and often infantile while brunettes were cool and smart. Jane Russell was the opposite of MM even though they both had the rocking figures of their day. While MM cooed and spoke like a two year old, Jane Russell was wise cracking and *wise* to the ways of the world especially men.

There is also the theory that since many infants of white European stock are born with blonde hair that women with such hair are seen as *pure* and *innocent* thus inspiring the same protection instincts man would feel for say his children or a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or