U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,765,309 times

Advertisements

Like I said, I think if there's any truth to it (and I don't think there is anyway) it would apply more to dyed blondes as that is a decision. Whereas if you say natural blondes are dumb that's almost racist as it's a genetic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:04 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,765,309 times
The most famous blonde, Marilyn Monroe, was of course not a natural blonde...I think she did more to promote the dumb blonde stereotype in her movies than anyone else (in the early days). Listening to her interviews though she actually sounded pretty intelligent. No annoying breathy put on voice or 'daddy o's' either.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:14 PM

22,170 posts, read 14,933,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The most famous blonde, Marilyn Monroe, was of course not a natural blonde...I think she did more to promote the dumb blonde stereotype in her movies than anyone else (in the early days). Listening to her interviews though she actually sounded pretty intelligent. No annoying breathy put on voice or 'daddy o's' either.
IIRC none of the famous Hollywood actresses were natural blondes; that goes for Jean Harlow on down to Jane Mansfield. Alberto VO5 "grease" was invented to give some gloss and condition Marilyn Monroe's and other Hollywood actresses hair that had turned into brittle straw from the harsh double process blonde. It also did something for hair (dyed, bleached or not) that was subject to the very hot lights used when making films which fried the hair.

Alberto VO5: Trusted Hair Care Since 1955 for All Hair Types

Speaking of "dumb" blondes. Saw "The Girl Can't Help It" on the Movies channel a few weeks back. Jane Mansfield's strut has not been topped to date. Instead of a breathy "Marilyn Monroe" accent hers was more from Brooklyn!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 PM

20 posts, read 46,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Italian men are big flirts, that's just what they do. I look like the average italian(I am a brunette) and they also flirted with me. As long as you are not their mother or their sister, you are a target.
lol my italian friends tell me this a lot

Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,023,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Women in movies at that time were generally the secondary layer, or specific characters, the mother/sister/nice maiden aunt sort. When they were the focus, they usually were played off men. Being blonde made them stand out, but I think it mainly said they were the characters you were supposed to notice. Very few women in movies were allowed to play the intelligent, and together woman. Roselen Russel (yes I know its misspelled) was the exception, and her pairing with Jimmy Steward as a strong independent woman was something which had to be fought for.

Most 'blonde' roles were women who had feature roles but were more the visual entertainment than the brains. There have been women with real blonde hair in the real world who dyed it something else since they didn't feel they could be taken seriously as blondes.

Marilyn was quite intelligent, but got locked in her fluff screen image and couldn't break through to play herself because that was what sold.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 AM

358 posts, read 426,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, the look to have for women is blonde hair and blue eyes and for men tall dark and handsome. My wife is a natural blonde and I'm tall dark and handsome, so we definitely fit the mold.

However, many brunettes feel "left out" so they dye their hair blonde. But I always look at the roots, I want a natural blonde not a fake one.

I used to date brunettes but "once you go blonde you cannot go back". The fact is that I've always been turned on by blondes and only later in life when I was more confident was I able to get the blondes that were unattainable years before.

Fact is most American men, whether they claim it or not, want a blonde by their side (or a redhead).
Congratulations! One of the most shallow posts I've ever read.

In my store we sell natural hair colors. By far the most popular colors are brown. That's probably more due to the store being in a heavily Jewish town and half of our female employees are Hispanic.

I'll never understand the desire to dye your hair, but then I don't understand why women wear makeup either.

My hair started turning gray when I was a teenager and now I'm 50 something it's almost entirely white. But it's nice hair and I get a lot of compliments because it's shiny and strong. I am nearly bald on the top, but the sides and back are pretty lush when I let it grow out.

I actually tried coloring it once when I was in my 30's, just to see what it was like, but it was silly and I felt like a fool.

I like blonde women. I like brunettes too. ...and redheads. I like hair. I like women!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 AM

5,722 posts, read 4,668,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Most of them are fake blondes. I hardly know anyone with "light brown" or "ash" hair anymore; they all seem to go blonde.
^

Possibly this, and also possibly because some/many blondes marry other blondes.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:08 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,257,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Speaking of "dumb" blondes. Saw "The Girl Can't Help It" on the Movies channel a few weeks back. Jane Mansfield's strut has not been topped to date. Instead of a breathy "Marilyn Monroe" accent hers was more from Brooklyn!
Isn't funny that her daughter Mariska Hargitay is also considered to be beautiful and sexy (yes, even as a brunette!). I remember that in several angles she resembles her Mother greatly.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:53 AM

11,259 posts, read 9,963,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Wow, way to make sweeping generalizations! My DH prefers women that are 'exotic' (that is why we are together!) like Haifa Wehbe

and Aishwarya Rai

Not everyone has the same in taste in what they consider to be beautiful. My DH finds blondes to be bland, boring and anemic looking.

Oh, and btw- my DH used to be blonde (now he is bald!) with blue eyes and he is from Alabama. I am from Hawaii and when I was younger I resembled these women; I prefer men who look like my DH.

Differences are what makes the world so interesting; it would be so boring and bland if we all were the same!
I would much prefer Reese Witherspoon or another natural blonde over the model you show here. The model(s) you list here are pretty, but don't turn me on. Blondes do, bottom line and that is what I dated after my first blonde experience, I couldn't go back.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM

11,259 posts, read 9,963,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaysss View Post
To the OP, blonds have more fun. That's why so many women dye or highlight their hair. I have light brown hair highlighted blond. I have pale skin and blond body hair with light eyebrows that I have to darken. So the blond works for me.

I went medium blond last winter and got less attention from men then I'm used to. Switched back to light blond and the normal attention began again.

So, its true that Blonds have more fun! And I definitely get pegged for being less intelligent because of it, but that helps me weed out men. The ones thinking i'll be an easy lay run for the hills when they find out how smart I am. The good ones, who are interested in me on a deeper level, are intrigued and stick around.
I found blondes more sexually confident. I think it's because they know they are highly desired and that helps them relax and become fully confident of themselves. That's speculation on my part, though. All I know is I want to be the one "having fun" with them.

The "blondes are dumb" is a ruse that blondes use to get guys, guys feel less threatened by less intelligent women, so blondes made the whole thing up so guys would be more confident asking them out. Many of the blondes I met were high powered executives and all highly successful in their field. But all had one thing in common, and that was to use their blonde hair to their advantage.

I like blondes with light eyebrows, that means they are true blondes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or