U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:38 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,391,642 times

Advertisements

Hydrogen peroxide is the cheapest way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Hydrogen peroxide is the cheapest way.
Heavens no...speed bleach with 30 volume peroxide is the best and cheapest way to go...

As someone who's naturally brunette and have been bleached blonde, I must say when I was a blonde I had more fun. I was called hot and did receive more attention. The attention, however wasn't necessarily positive. As a brunette I've gotten better jobs, dated quality men, called beautiful and gorgeous. That's better than being called hot, IMO.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM

339 posts, read 594,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Mel Brook View Post
Hence the large ego.

As I said I have met decent blondes but it seems like girls who dye their hair blonde are just looking for a lot of validation and an ego boost. Those kinds of girls fall into the underlined category and in most USA college towns we have plenty of them.
Almost every post you have written here is about "entitled" blondes looking for "validation" and an "ego boost." If you whine and judge as much IRL as you do in this thread, that might account for why women seem to be avoiding you. Live your life and stop ascribing your lack of romantic success to elaborate misogynistic theories correlating to women's hair color. It's truly unpleasant parsing through this nonsense.

Food for Thought: You have said several times in this thread how blondes are the gold standard that every guy wants. Have you considered that the blondes you think are "entitled" are simply FED UP with men coming on to them? That they want to be treated like human beings? I have had to deal with street harassment many times, wherein a guy will follow me, catcalling, making hissing sounds, etc. and when I finally tell him to knock it off he then calls me a b****--I imagine he thought I was entitled, whereas I just wanted to be treated with respect. If they are truly are that unpleasant to be around then LEAVE THEM ALONE. You and they will be much happier.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM

9,348 posts, read 17,291,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mine had turned true dishwater color by my late teens. I used all sorts of things, lemon juice then the stuff you sprayed on your hair and sat in the sun before trying 'real' bleaching. When I did my hair came out strawberry blonde. The only problem was each time it was done the shade was different.

When I was working in an office I went to a pro. Once I tried platnum. Everyone thought I'd restyled it but all I did was bleach it to death.

I wonder how many natural blondes with light eyebrows and fine hair end up doing a darker color since its far less damaging than the bleacing if you don't want to keep it cut short. My baby fine hair has always been a problem with chemicals (after a perm it started breaking off really bad) and I found that darker hair all shows and looks like its thicker even if it isn't.

I do wish I'd tried henna many years ago since it makes my hair thicker and stronger and makes a real red tone.

interesting about the henna..... I was a natural bright blonde until I cut my hair VERY short in my late 30's and brought out, or exposed, the dishwater color.... I have been highlighting or coloring back to my original color for the last 15 years... my hair is also very fine and about a year and a half ago, I just stopped with the coloring to let it grow out and see what I really had.....

I am at the point where I am about ready to try something again, style and color-wise, and your experience with the henna has me intrigued!! thanks!!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,788,930 times
Hair, eye and skin color are not simple genotypes, they are polygenic. There is more than one set of alleles responsible for the expressed trait (phenotype). Phenotypic expression of the genotype can also change with age. Because they are polygenic, you can't do a simple punnet square and say "blonde is recessive" therefore only two blondes should have blonde children. It's entirely possible for two brunettes to produce a blonde or red-head child, or two blondes to produce a brunette or red-head child, or two red-heads to produce a brunette or blonde child.

Dark/brunette allele is more dominant than light/blonde allele, and both are more dominant than red alleles... but this does not necessarily dictate the expression of those traits. Since the phenotype is a combination of different alleles and not every single strand of your hair is the same color, a predominately Brunette/blonde genotype may express as brunette, light brunette, dark blonde, or blonde at different ages... or a red allele may crop up "out of nowhere" resulting in a ginger, strawberry blonde, or auburn. The strength of pigmentation in the hair strand is also affected by exposure to sunlight and other environmental factors.

Certain hereditary lines have a stronger incidence of certain hair colors than others. Those with Northern European Caucasian ancestory are more likely to possess blonde alleles, but it's no guarantee either way. The apparent likelihood of natural blondes (of all shades) in the US is likely due to the strong presence of northern European immigrants in many regions.

That being said, anyone can change their hair color at anytime using various treatments. Often people with "in between" hair colors will either lighten or darken their hair as a personal preference. Blonde may be a cultural preference in the US, but then we're talking about sociology and not biology. Did the OP want to discuss sociology???

Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,198,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Blonde GFs had a show dog atmosphere as in they were 'ON' at all times. One was vain to the point of having her own portrait painted to hang in her dressing room so she could see it in the mirror behind her.
Now that's a special one right there! So sorry you're not still with her....LOL

Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 PM

22,272 posts, read 15,043,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
It's rare on a worldwide basis since, to start with, it's only found among whites (and a few melanesians and australian aborigenes). Northern europeans are blonder than average within the white race itself. Lots of the whites in the usa are northern european in origin so you expect to find many blonds among them.

Last but not least, one can be blond with the help of a bottle.

In many parts of the USA you stand as much of a chance of finding a real blonde as you do a natural 34 or 36 C-cup bra size.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:27 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,198,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsypal View Post
in many parts of the usa you stand as much of a chance of finding a real blonde as you do a natural 34 or 36 c-cup bra size.
+1 :d

Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,509,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am a hair stylist and can say at least 90% of the women in my chair that are blondes aren't natural. It's extremely rare to have light blonde hair, especially as a person ages. The vast majority of women want to always go lighter. Even if a woman is a dark natural blonde, she will usually want to be a medium or light blonde. That's why it looks convincing on a lot of women. They usually aren't going that far from their natural color level, just the most they can realistically get away with. Like me, I am a natural light brunette but I can get away with somewhere between dark blonde and medium blonde and pass it off as natural. This is what most women do. Men have no idea what we go through to look good!
Well, I'm a totally natural blonde (with blue eyes). I had totally white hair when I was born. It's more of a light golden blonde now. Of course, my ancestry is totally Scandinavian, and I am a first-generation American.

Fortunately my light blonde hair isn't showing any grays, yet, so luckily I've never had to color my hair. I hate going to beauty parlors and I hate fussing with my hair. Fortunately, my hair is very easy to maintain. It is pretty hair, I must admit. No matter how terrible the rest of me looks, my hair looks nice.

On the other hand, because of my blondeness, I have excessively fair skin that burns easily. I love going outside in the summer, and I have to absolutely SLATHER sunblock on my face and body. It makes my skin break out. It's also really hard to wash off all that sunblock in the shower at night. It's like I am wearing glue. I must keep sunblock with me at all times during the summer.

I also have to wear huge hats to protect my head and face from the sun (I can't stand putting sunblock on top of my head), and I look absolutely ridiculous in them, because the hats are huge and I am small. I always keep a box of sunhats in the car during the summer. After I had a sunburned scalp I learned my lesson. That was painful.

Last edited by NewJerseyMemories; 12-27-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,509,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Mel Brook View Post
I never saw blondes as dumb my entire life, I have only seen them as stuck up and full of themselves along with being materialistic but that is because I have known a lot of blondes like that. Usually found working at fashion stores, fake blonde hair most cases, fake tans too, and I even worked with a girl like that when I was doing my summer job at American Eagle. The amount of time these girls spent gossiping and just making fun of anyone that wasn't fashionable was unreal. The way these girls treated people was insane and two of them I knew, their mothers (also blonde) were the same exact way.

Only see this with Americans though.
Here is a present for you from Dolly, a very intelligent and beautiful blonde, who writes great songs. Yes, the hair is hilarious but it was the 1960s:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or