Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

I just got my first performance appraisal at my job. I have worked as a HR Manager for a mid sized financial company in New York City (Manhattan). He told me that the team does not take me seriously and part of the reason is my long middle of my back hair. I have always had long hair and it is the only style I know. My boss pointed out women on the management team who have short or bob style hair who look more professional. He suggested if I want to be taken more seriously I should cut my hair.

Is this sexist or good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,636,308 times
I think it's sexist and it's ridiculous for a man to be telling you how your hair should be.

With that in mind, can u style it up? or can u do something with it so it's not flopping all over the place?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 PM

175 posts, read 286,736 times
No way should someone at work tell you how to wear your hair ( unless food service) but maybe try a low bun or low ponytail. if you like your hair long leave it.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM

29,643 posts, read 34,134,862 times
I don't know that it's particularly sexist--it's not much difference than the manager telling a male employee that he shouldn't come to work with facial stubble. You have to decide if there's any merit to his advice and if it aligns with office culture. Your user name says that you're in HR, so you would know better than we would if your workplace has a dress code or grooming standards. Do any of the other women in your office have hair as long as yours? How do they wear it? Personally, I think that hair longer than your bra strap is pushing it for a conservative corporate environment (at least if it's worn long and not pulled up,) but that's just me.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-01-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,649,909 times
I have a hard time believing an HR manager would say something that stupid. They of all people in the corporate world would know better than to utter such a sexist statement.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,620,368 times
It might be sexist but it might also be good advice. What is your hair like? How do you wear it? What color is it? If you've had the same style since you were a teenager, it might be time for a change. Is there anyone objective that you can ask about it?

No matter what anyone says, appearances do matter. There's a woman in our building who is in her 50's or 60's and wears her hair down to her waist. It's mostly gray and coarse looking and she doesn't style it in any way. She does her job well and I don't know if it affects her being taken seriously or not, but it does make me think that her hair was beautiful when she was young and she received a lot of compliments on it and now can't let it go.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,305,619 times
If you groom yourself professionally, your hair length shouldn't matter. There are professional- looking ways of styling virtually any length of hair.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,705,018 times
He likes dikes, he feels threatened by your good looks. Maybe he's gay.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,315,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanResourcesGal View Post
I just got my first performance appraisal at my job. I have worked as a HR Manager for a mid sized financial company in New York City (Manhattan). He told me that the team does not take me seriously and part of the reason is my long middle of my back hair. I have always had long hair and it is the only style I know. My boss pointed out women on the management team who have short or bob style hair who look more professional. He suggested if I want to be taken more seriously I should cut my hair.

Is this sexist or good advice?
I think maybe he meant it's unprofessional to leave your hair long like that, and I somewhat agree. At the very least you should put it up in a bun or a chignon.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,060,292 times
In corporate environments, men often aren't allowed to grow out their head hair or facial hair. In regards to hair, the way they are hired is the way they are expected to stay, so I don't think it's sexist. But it agree that it is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty