Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,614,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accencao View Post
er.. most people I know have tattoos, and the opinions of others mean little to me. You're making it sound it's inherently wrong to get a tattoo or have one lol..

its trashy and pathetic. a tattoo screams that you are desperate to show other people that there is something interesting about you. you cant think of a way to actually be an interesting person, so you fake it by getting a tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh. I recently received a promotion (full sleeve of tattoos and all!) and will now be running the safety/compliance/auditing program for a region of 18 airports, 14 of which are international hubs.

My tattoos have never held me back

I've found that Mom & Pop stores and smaller stores are far more conservative about tattoos, but once you get into companies with substance they start to care more about what you can do for them and less about things like visible tattoos. I'm good at what I do and I have an excellent track record so my tattoos seem to be a non-issue. I've always found it funny that I had zero issues getting an excellent, well paying job at an international airport but probably wouldn't get hired at a gas station... but I'm surprisingly okay with that.
I would say well done.

I also say, that I have turned down people with their display of tattoos. But my outfit was dealing with the public. People can do what they want to do. Freedom---I'm all for it. I reserve the right to myself to discriminate though in my hiring (former) practices.

Cheers.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:06 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,861,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
No tattoo looks good and they only get worse with age.
Really? My oldest tattoo is about 21 years old, and looks almost the same as it did when I got it. Sure you're not confusing modern tattooing with the tattooing techniques of the '20s?

Quote:
Don't know if your male or female but a tattoo on a woman looks like S__T !
Obviously just YOUR opinion, as the men (and women) I've met mostly feel otherwise... and my tattoos certainly haven't stopped me from getting dates! So yeah, try saying "in my opinion" the next time you throw out a subjective statement.

Now, since the OP is apparently no longer a member, I'll leave it at that. Hope they figured out what to get!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its trashy and pathetic. a tattoo screams that you are desperate to show other people that there is something interesting about you. you cant think of a way to actually be an interesting person, so you fake it by getting a tattoo.
Haha. So glad you know everything about us, but your comments are more desperate than any tattoo could ever be. I'm a 37 year-old professional woman, with TWO college degrees (BA & Master's), and plenty of other interesting things about me... including the fact that I play eight musical instruments, collect & breed exotic snakes, speak three languages, and have bright red (natural) hair. If my mostly HIDDEN tattoos are the only thing that makes me interesting to you, I'd say you aren't looking very hard. But thanks for the useless and judgmental opinion, regardless.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,073,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoceansandclearskies View Post
If you're asking "which design will look good"?, then you shouldn't be getting a tattoo in the first place.
Exactly my thoughts. If you want a tattoo, then you should know in your heart what tattoo you want. Until you do, don't get one. Too expensive and too permanent.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
From what I have read the biggest thing you need to worry about is getting hepatitis.
Only if you're getting one in a garage! Newsflash: ALL tattoo shops (in all states, I'm pretty sure) now have to follow STRICT health codes and regular inspections. I've actually read studies showing a modern tattoo shop is cleaner, on average, than most restaurants you eat in regularly. But you're worried about getting Hep C from a tattoo? Talk about a false sense of security, lol.

Unless the customer is a complete moron, it's pretty obvious when a tattoo shop isn't following procedure - for starters, gloves and a new (in-package) needle should ALWAYS be used 100% of the time. If someone isn't smart enough to figure out that much, they deserve whatever happens.

Quote:
Tattoos are not a good idea.

Not to mention how low class tattoos are. Get smart and don't do it.
Yet another person who thinks their opinions = fact. What is it with tattoo-related threads, always bringing out the most self-righteous people? And you know what they say about ASSumptions, right?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-24-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
That isn't even the issue. I am quite sure you and I were not born in the same era. I would never tell an older person to rot and I would not call them names. I just turned forty a couple of weeks ago, so maybe I am an old fogy as well!

I got my first tattoo when I was around 35 or so.
"Old fogy" here too! Well, not quite OLD (37), but guessing much older than the OP who thinks only their generation has ink... which is kinda funny, since tattoos were actually considered "for old sailors" when I was young. Ahhhh, youth.

Quote:
People have their opinions, and that is how it will always be. They do not need to think they are better than someone or that someone is trashy because they are not like them.

If I never said I had a tattoo or never showed it to them, they would have no idea and would not judge me as someone who had a tattoo and called me trashy and low class. You know why? Because I am not. I am a good person who is far from those things.

You know what is low class? Judging someone on their appearance, and assuming things about them without further knowledge. Speaking of low class, among the people I know with tattoos, I can count the following: Multiple lawyers, corporate executives, engineers, nurses, doctors, cops, librarians, teachers, firefighters, veterinarians, etc. So yeah, I'm sure they all care about the opinion of some self-described "country girl." LOL

Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,592,310 times
OP - if you are still out there:

Be very, VERY careful about what you select. Chances are you might not like the image 20 years from now. Don't just copy the image and stick it on your fridge. Tape it to your phone so you have to always look at the image and lift it up so you can use the phone. Do you still love it?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,034,217 times
To the OP--- Just get "Stupid" tattooed on your forehead and that should take care of it !

Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,813,806 times
Is this your first tattoo? I ask because it looks very large. I am assuming you are a gentleman?
I am not a tattoo person for myself even if it were tiny but everyone is different and you need to do what makes you feel good. Just some thoughts you may want to consider like others stated when you get older that tattoo will change because your skin will be wrinkled or if you lost/gained weight. What type of employment you have and if you wear long sleeves it would be covered but if not what would your employer think?
Nodpete that was funny and made me laugh which I needed today but kind of mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty