Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

It seems, in the past 200 years or so, fashions for women have changed/evolved a lot more rapidly with the times than male's. From the very elaborate style of the 18th century, to the plainer style of the early 1800s, the conservatism of the Victorian age, wartime austerity, the comparatively liberality of the 20s, the hard lines and flat chested ideal of the 30s, to the 40s, 50s, shorter hemlines etc from the 60s, women starting to wear jeans/pants, to the 70s and now. In comparison, while male fashion has also changed, it seems the basic blueprint - say the black suit, hasn't really changed that much. Fashion for men hasn't changed that much in the last 25 years or so.

My theory for the past 50 years at least was that society has become more liberal (in the west) and hasn't made as big a deal out of women being modest.etc. Also, feminism allowed women to wear clothing once considered male-only, like trousers/jeans and shirts. In the 1930s, I noticed, swimsuits were quite unisex. Then the 1940s saw the introduction of the bikini and our more liberal attitudes to sex have led to skimpier and skimpier swimsuits for women. However, I think in general there's also this idea that fashion is more of a 'female domain' (which I feel is a peculiarly 20th century/21st century thing) so women care more about the current trends and what's new. It's a way the fashion industry sustains itself.

I've also noticed that given names for girls seem to change much more with the times than boys names. Like in the 60s you had tons of Pamelas, Cynthias, Judy's but as a name parents give to their babies they seem almost extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM

324 posts, read 654,967 times
All we care about is yoga pants, it will never change unless they start making them transparent.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I think the answer is simply that women care a lot more about clothes than men do.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think the answer is simply that women care a lot more about clothes than men do.
I counted 100 ironed shirts, on hangers, fingers paced with pullout racks of 25 ties per rack per color section yesterday. So much for the theory women care lot more about clothes)) let's not get into shoes or even boots.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Women usually dress for looks while men typically dress for utility. I dress up to look nice, but at the same time want to get the job done. Even in today's world, men usually do all the tough and burly work while women often perform jobs that involve using soft skill rather than physical labor.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
All we care about is yoga pants, it will never change unless they start making them transparent.

I hate Yoga pants myself but I have never been a "fashion trend" follower. I've never been a "trend" follower.

To answer the original question for me is a lot of women finally decided to go for comfort and good fit and appropriate for going into the office when more women started working outside of their homes.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Many men (like me) refuse to subject themselves to the changes in fashion dictated by the manufacturers. When I used to have to wear ties to work, I hated that they would get wider and wider, then skinnier and skinnier just to make you buy new ones every year. Now that business casual is alive and well we can keep wearing clothes until they wear out.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I suppose either because women want to try new things more often, or because fashion industries know that their big buck is from women so they try new things to keep the money coming.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Yeah but that's not biological, it's socio-cultural and specific to this time. In other cultures and in the past it was often the men who wore more to show off, I mean look how frilly/fancy King Henry VIII or King Louis the 'Sun King' looked. Even George Washington, with his frilly shirt, pompadour hairstyle, high heels and makeup would look like a drag queen today. In nature it's usually the male who is colourful and showy while the female is dull and brown.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Women usually dress for looks while men typically dress for utility. I dress up to look nice, but at the same time want to get the job done. Even in today's world, men usually do all the tough and burly work while women often perform jobs that involve using soft skill rather than physical labor.
A lot of men work in offices.etc and stuff yet their dress is still more 'functional.' Plus throughout history women still did a lot of physical work like carrying heavy jars of water on their heads or working in the fields. It may not always have required as much brute strength but it was still very physical. Even being a housewife can be quite physical if you get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty