U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM

777 posts, read 865,059 times

Advertisements

I love getting a tan myself. I think it looks healthy and gives a natural glow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:04 PM

21,344 posts, read 12,802,775 times
LOL in my grandmother's day... the whiter that chest appeared the better. as in France they used powder etc to look WHITE-clean unblemished,, now since we got the California fever some years later, (from movies) ,,, tan is in. What is funny though- naturally tanned folks lose out to "el cream puff" so, tan is about sexy bathing suits and tan lines nothing more,

Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,367,128 times
*raises hand* Pasty, pale, skin-cancer FREE, wrinkle FREE, happy chick here....

Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,543,759 times
Gosh, why does everyone here say that tan people will get skin cancer.

I am tan. I grew up in southern India. There was no way for me to avoid being tan. Will I die early of skin cancer and be ugly looking with wrinkles all over BECAUSE I am not pale. That sounds kind of illogical to me. I like sunlight and am inclined to spend some time outside when its sunny. The below freezing cold and gloom (like today) gives me headaches and feels miserable. I cant live in a freezing cold overcast environment for long. According to what some people say on this thread, it looks like I will have to move to Anchorage to avoid getting "skin cancer" .

Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

I am tan. I grew up in southern India. There was no way for me to avoid being tan. Will I die early of skin cancer and be ugly looking with wrinkles all over BECAUSE I am not pale. That sounds kind of illogical to me. I like sunlight and am inclined to spend some time outside when its sunny. The below freezing cold and gloom (like today) gives me headaches and feels miserable. I cant live in a freezing cold overcast environment for long. According to what some people say on this thread, it looks like I will have to move to Anchorage to avoid getting "skin cancer" .
Because they are uneducated.

The truth is that because you are naturally tan, you are LESS LIKELY to suffer from skin cancer, wrinkles, blisters and burns due to exposure to the sun. You're skin is more resilient to the sun's harsh impact.

However, don't take this to mean that you are immuned to these conditions. You can still get burned or get skin cancer with excess exposure to the sun.

The more pale you are, the more susceptible you are to skin cancer, wrinkling, etc. due to the sun.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM

2,876 posts, read 3,556,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I have a suspicion that the real brainwashing is this message of "stay out of the sun!", "the sun is baaad for you!", "don't leave your house without covering yourself in SPF 100 and a wide brimmed hat!"

If the sun is sooo bad for me why do I look like I'm about to die every winter and look like the picture of health every summer?

Human body only requires 15 min of full on exposure a day for Vit D! Skin tan due the fact it burning and trying to protect itself........

Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Human body only requires 15 min of full on exposure a day for Vit D! Skin tan due the fact it burning and trying to protect itself........
Actually skin tan is a healthy response to sun exposure. It is not a result to your skin burning.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

If your naturally dark you have more pigmentation, so your chances are lower to none, because you do actually tan...Those of us who are of a white European tend not to tan but burn first, before we can achieve a tan......The lighter the eyes the less pigmentation you have, your chances of skin cancer do go up! I have a lot European bloodlines Portuguese, French , Italian and Jewish..Even tho I have dark hair my eyes are green and I'm fair skined, I burn before I tan....So I don't sunbath, thankful I never did, because at 50 my skin has no deep wrinkles or age spots, my chest still looks very young, as women get older that where the sun damage really takes it toll, chest & neck, so I take great care to protect it, sunscreen of 80 and large hat, I keep my arm cover as well....To look healthy get that natural glow can be achieved through drinking a lot water a healthy diet and working out, this well give you a glow....

Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually skin tan is a healthy response to sun exposure. It is not a result to your skin burning.

Tanning & Sun Exposure

Some people think having a tan gives them a "healthy glow." But a tan really shows that the skin is trying to protect itself from sun damage. Sun damage can lead to premature aging (wrinkles!), eye damage, and skin cancer. Even "indoor tanning" is not without risk.

Tanning beds and lamps can expose you to even more harmful ultraviolet (UV) light than the sun does. And tanning products such as "self-tanners,"sunless sprays, and pills can expose you to additional risks, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Before you try to get a tan, you should learn how and why our skin tans.....Read More:...

http://www.pamf.org/teen/health/skin/sun.html

Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Tanning & Sun Exposure

Some people think having a tan gives them a "healthy glow." But a tan really shows that the skin is trying to protect itself from sun damage. Sun damage can lead to premature aging (wrinkles!), eye damage, and skin cancer. Even "indoor tanning" is not without risk.

Tanning beds and lamps can expose you to even more harmful ultraviolet (UV) light than the sun does. And tanning products such as "self-tanners,"sunless sprays, and pills can expose you to additional risks, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Before you try to get a tan, you should learn how and why our skin tans.....Read More:...

http://www.pamf.org/teen/health/skin/sun.html
Exactly. Skin tanning is a healthy response from sun exposure to protect itself from skin damage. It's not the result of skin burning as you suggest. Thanks for supporting my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty