Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:36 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Is it brainwashing by the media? Is it natural instinct? What is it about tan skin that makes humans so much more attracted to it than pale, when it may not even be healthy??
The promotion of tan skin as attractive is a very recent phenomenon, only taking place in the past century or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Is it brainwashing by the media? Is it natural instinct? What is it about tan skin that makes humans so much more attracted to it than pale, when it may not even be healthy??
It's brainwashing. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

A century ago pale skin and a plump physique were considered attractive in women because it meant your husband or father was wealthy so you didn't have to work in the fields and you got enough to eat.

Nowadays if you're skinny it means you're both intelligent and can afford nutritious food and you can afford a gym membership, and if you're tan it means you get outdoors (or can afford artificial tanning).

Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
There sure are a lot of threads on "tans" here! LOL!

As I have mentioned in other threads, the problem is people go overboard with everything. The sun is GOOD for you, in small amounts. Think about it, for thousands of years we have thrived in the sun - plants need sun to grow and bear fruit - What we are NOT supposed to do is go to the beach and slather on baby oil and fry for 8 hours!!! I too do not like the look of a very dark, unnatural tan. Being of European Spanish descent myself, my skin color is naturally very fair, but I do have dark eyes and can take a bit more sun. I live in Florida and get about an hour of sun each day as I ride my bike. I don't use suncscreen, only coconut oil which contains a small amount of natural sunscreen. I also consume a lot of seafood and vegetables that contain astaxanthin, which is an antioxidant and natural sunscreen from the INSIDE. I drink lots and lots of water for hydration. I always have a nice medium "base tan" which pretty much stays the same color.

I am 64, no real "wrinkles" and only a few fine lines. Very few "spots", mostly what I have had most of my life (hereditary). Again, the sun itself is NOT what ages you, it's a bad lifestyle, heredity all coupled with getting too much of a good thing. I personally like the look of a light tan on most people,depending on what their natural coloring is. I know I definitely look far, far better with a little sun.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 AM

30,994 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I much prefer the untanned look myself.
It's making a comeback these days.

I like healty skin, and it comes in all different colors. There are certain shades of fair skin that don't look healthy even if it is, but there are also also people with dark skin that don't have it so easy either.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,597 times
Quote:
From what I've read, in almost every human population, the natural skin tone preference is that men should be darker than women (and women should be lighter than men). That pattern is seen in art from many, many parts of the world and from many time periods. I think it's likely that this is the "natural" preference among humans.

With that said, it's not a very strong preference and we see that it's very easy for fashion to override it.

I for one have no problem at all with pale skin and I wish white women would be more ok with it instead of always complaining about it I find people like Kim Kardashian or Victoria Beckham much better looking when untanned.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It's making a comeback these days.

I like healty skin, and it comes in all different colors. There are certain shades of fair skin that don't look healthy even if it is, but there are also also people with dark skin that don't have it so easy either.
Totally right. Not all fair skin is equally attractive. Even very pale skin comes in several varieties.
Dark skin can be very gorgeous too but once again there are various types of it.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 PM
hvl

Pale people :
Know your skin.
There are pale people for whom exposure to the sun is like a poison.
There are other pale people whose skin can deal easily with moderate sun exposure.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM

27 posts, read 38,162 times
I think pale skin is very soft and ladylike. I don't understand why women purposely burn themselves orange. Walking around with an open flesh wound wouldn't be considered attractive; why is it attractive to walk around with burnt skin? Yuck. Not to mention it's prematurely aging and drying.

A man with tan skin could go either way. It could mean he's a vain girly-man who tans himself on purpose. Or it could mean he works outdoors with his hands and is therefore very strong and muscly

Old 12-27-2013, 01:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I am very pale with freckles. When I go out in the sun, I burn. If I'm in the sun longer than two hours, I burn, blister and peel. I used to be able to go outside with a nice coating of 110 spf, but now I've developed a sunscreen allergy and sunscreen makes me turn red and blow up like a puffer fish. My husband likes me with a little bit of a tan, so in the summer I sometimes use the lotions with sunless tanner in them, but I never think they look very nice.

One of my daughters burns in the sun like I do. The other one just turns a very nice golden color. I'm sure she will be able to tan if she wants to, when she's older.

I don't think there's anything wrong with tanning if you've got a skin type that can handle it. But if you're like me and it only takes a couple of hours to get a really bad burn, you have to listen to what your body is telling you and avoid the sun.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Natural is best. While tans can be nice, if you have naturally pale skin i prefer natural to leathery over-tanned/fake tan. I do love naturally olive/brown skin on women though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty