U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 12:28 PM

11,227 posts, read 13,230,732 times

Advertisements

I prefer lighter skin, but all skin looks best with a small/moderate amount of sun exposure. People who are naturally darker do NOT look good when you can tell that they have not been in the sun. They look paler than normal, but there is also a sickly yellowish tone to the paleness. Just a small amount of sun would help.

But I admit I have been attracted at times to women who I thought were paler, then I saw them later with tanner skin. I guess it occurred after they had been out in the warmer weather for a few weeks. I had thought they were more attractive at first because I usually prefer the lighter skin look.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,882 times
I prefer tan skin, because who wants to look like a ghost, it's simply not attractive to most people. A tan generally gives a person a healthy glow and in my opinion clothing looks nicer on tan people, esp bright colors. Where I live tans are a normal part of life and there isn't many people who don't have one.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,917,383 times
Tan = beautiful is only a western ethnocentric view. There are billions of people in the world that try to avoid getting any tan at all because pale is supposed to be beautiful and look better.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 AM

721 posts, read 1,591,159 times
I'm lucky that I have a natural tan due to my Hispanic heritage. It's significantly lighter in winter since I'm more covered up so therefore not as exposed to the sun but when the weather gets warmer and I wear more shorts and t-shirts I tend to get a few shades darker. My fiance refers to my coloring as "caramel". It's kinda funny that I don't really try to tan during the summer but it seems that my skin just naturally does it on its own. We often joke that I can get tan just by looking at a picture of the sun.

My personal preference can go either way. My fiance is light skinned for the most part although she does get a little tan in summer however I have been attracted to very light skinned red heads as well as girls as tan as I am. Not attracted to the dark tans that some women sometimes get from way too much exposure.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM

13,941 posts, read 17,788 times
The only thing that looks delicious with a heavy artificially induced tan shows up on Thanksgiving.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 PM

8,434 posts, read 10,050,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Is it brainwashing by the media? Is it natural instinct? What is it about tan skin that makes humans so much more attracted to it than pale, when it may not even be healthy??
It doesn't to me. I've always preferred porcelain/creamy white skin on women. Tan just looks blah to me.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,525,552 times
I don't think it looks healthier at all. I see "tanorexic" or skin cancer or premature aging.... maybe that is because I am of celtic background and all my relatives do not tan in the least. And look unattractive and blotchy when we try. I just freckle within 15 minutes of bright sun exposure

Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 PM

453 posts, read 568,106 times
People in the West want to be darker, and people in the East want to be whiter. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM

16,090 posts, read 18,401,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Pale people :
Know your skin.
There are pale people for whom exposure to the sun is like a poison.
There are other pale people whose skin can deal easily with moderate sun exposure.
So true. I just had my most recent skin cancer removed this week. Didn't even get the stitches removed yet. Have had more skin cancer surgeries than I have fingers and toes to count them. I have to get checked every 6 months for skin cancer for the rest of my life.

It's serious stuff people. The scars are ugly. You're lucky if all you have is scars. Some people die from skin cancer. Use fake tanning creams/sprays if you want some color. And wear hats when in the sun.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,343,493 times
I need to move somewhere where pale skin and dark hair is considered nice. I'm the color of goat cheese hahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty