U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM

42,717 posts, read 45,402,250 times

Advertisements

Bra shops? Special order them online?

Ask your mom to return them for a smaller size. You can return them and get store credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,068,212 times
My girlfriend was always unhappy with bra fittings till she went to a specialty store and got fitted. She says they are so comfortable that she hardly can tell she is even wearing a bra at all.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM

11,317 posts, read 21,437,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My daughter is a DD, she was getting fitted for a bra, and asked the woman about a "push up" bra...the saleswoman looked at her, deadpan, and said, "Honey, they don't make DD bras in a push up.".
They do make push up bras in a DD. If she's at least a 36 band, she can probably find them at Lane Bryant or Avenue, like this Plus Size Bras | Full Figure Bras, DDD Bras & Above | Lane Bryant

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,781,443 times
A woman who wears a 52 band would be a very large/obese individual not necessarily one who is extremely busty and most certainly not a woman built like Dolly Parton.

Most stores will just increase your band size until they find a DD that fits. Happens to my wife all the time at most department stores. She is about a 36G or GG in UK sizing but most stores will try to put her in 42 or 44DDs which is stupid.

Women with larger then DD cups can find push ups, demi, plunge, strapless or any other type available to smaller cups. They just have to look further and in more places.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM

914 posts, read 795,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So Christmas (yesterday) I am opening gifts with my husband, parents and brother. We are having a good time with the usual camaraderie but then I open one box and it's got a few bras in it. It is a perfect example of how my mother doesn't listen to me much But I digress on this one... There are about 5 bras in there -two are the good Platex 18 hr brand size 44DD. They look pretty nice. Three are size 52 DD. I NEVER knew bras came in that size-heck, Dolly Parton couldn't wear this one! It all began when mom was asking for my bra size so she could include a few bras with my gifts. I said that I wear a 42 DD. She says "No you cannot wear a 42-that's not possible. Youre too big around" (meaning waist size) I mentioned that my measurements were 51 and 41, respectively. Anyone who has watched Oprah Winfrey religiously as much as she has should not have missed her special episode in which Oprah gives advice to women on proper bra fitting. Oprah says women sometimes need to go down a band size and up a cup size to get a better fit. 42 DD is what I wear. Now why argue about it? So now I am stuck with three ginormous bras which pretty much swallow me ( I think I will wear them to sleep in )

I mean come on , 52DD??? This would be totally hilarious if it weren't sad in the fact that mom doesn't listen to me at times...Moms don't always know best do they??
Well, I have a cousin who wears a 48 HH.
Not kidding.
She is like 110 pounds soaking wet, and 87 of those pounds are on her chest.

I feel so bad for her...her back probably kills her, AND nobody male ever takes her seriously.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:16 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wait...your over the bust measurement is 51" and your underbust (ribcage) measurement is 41? That would mean you should be wearing a 40J or 42J, not a DD.

Bra Fitting - How to Measure Bra Size

Regardless, it's not exactly nice to make fun of women who may actually need and wear a 52DD...I'm a 36H and it gets old when people wear my bra as a hat or make fun of my cup size.
Amen JJ! I am with you, as a 34H or so! (And sometimes a 32J)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Lots of stores have bra fitting services. I usually took about 36C in the US, but in the UK they measure differently. I had a fitting and am a 32FF. Sounds weird to me but it fits.
Yup, in the US sizes we don't have many. And US cup sizes are shallower so I am like an M or something else. But to be honest, in real life you'd say In was busty, but it works in proportion, I don't look like I would "tip over" as my mom would say. F, G, H, J, K are really not big. It all depends on the band size which is proportional to the cup in terms of volume. A 44DD is equivalent in volume to about a 34J.

The band represents the girth of your back. The cup is the difference between the under bust and full volume of your bust. The bigger the gap between the two, the larger the cup. For a more "normal" example, a size like 28H is really a 34DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They do make push up bras in a DD. If she's at least a 36 band, she can probably find them at Lane Bryant or Avenue, like this Plus Size Bras | Full Figure Bras, DDD Bras & Above | Lane Bryant
They do! Bras of all types are available in most sizes, yet some re much harder to find. Like strapless in cups above H.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Not kidding.

I feel so bad for her...her back probably kills her, AND nobody male ever takes her seriously.
Hmm, I am surprised she has a 48 band, that would be highly unusual in someone really small. That means the full measurement of her chest is like 60 inches around. She would be sized out of most mainstream mens and women's stores.

Even the largest size shirt at Lane Bryant would be too small in the bust at 58 total inches. I'd assume she is more like something in the range of 28HH-34HH or so. Even if she was top heavy.

For reference, someone like Dolly Parton in UK sizes is likely something like 26k or 28J.

Take a look at this site:
Welcome | Bra Band Project

Here are women with J cups:
J cup Bra Search | Bra Band Project

Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,781,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Not kidding.

I believe you are mistaken. a 48 band would typically mean a woman a lot heavier then 110 pounds. As for your other two typical assumptions, yeah her back probably does hurt because her band size is waaaay too big and it is riding up not giving her support. The guy part has to do with how she carries herself in life.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-27-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM

14,249 posts, read 19,501,516 times
it seems like such a shame that in the year 2013 women are still finding bras hard to shop for guess some things never change Im a 5'8 girl and I have lost alot of weight and now im finding the opposite is true ...the smaller the harder to find sorry but it is for me at least ....

Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm, I am surprised she has a 48 band, that would be highly unusual in someone really small. That means the full measurement of her chest is like 60 inches around. She would be sized out of most mainstream mens and women's stores.

Even the largest size shirt at Lane Bryant would be too small in the bust at 58 total inches. I'd assume she is more like something in the range of 28HH-34HH or so. Even if she was top heavy.

For reference, someone like Dolly Parton in UK sizes is likely something like 26k or 28J.

Take a look at this site:
Welcome | Bra Band Project

Here are women with J cups:
J cup Bra Search | Bra Band Project
Yeah, there's no way a short, 100lb woman has a 48 band...I mean, I'm 6'1 and not supermodel skinny by any means and I fit comfortably in a 36" while measure 37.5 around the ribcage and around 45" around my bust.

Women REALLY need to learn how to measure properly! And there is NO WAY Dolly Parton has anything more than a 28" band size, I've met her and she's tinnnnnny. I'd definitely guess 26 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty