Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I like stocky better.
I think of it as a scale...stocky, chubby, fat, obese, corpulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
for the most part, nobody will notice if your lower body is less developed than your upper body. i work my full body, i go to the gym 5 days a week so i need to work everything to fill up 5 workouts. but in reality, upper body is going to matter more when it comes to appearance. lets be realistic, 1. how often are people able to see your legs? 2. in those few times when people see your legs, how often will they even notice them? my legs get pretty big when im trying to put on some muscle mass but only my wife notices and if they didnt get big she wouldnt notice that either.
Yeah people notice, although for some reason women don't seem to make a thing out of men's legs most of the time, I think fashion has something to do with it.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think of it as a scale...stocky, chubby, fat, obese, corpulent.
Rotund?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
If you're fat, you're fat.

I wouldn't be insulted if anyone called me fat. It's just a fact. I'm overweight. I'm not grossly obese, but I could definitely stand to lose 20 pounds or so. Chubby is just a nicer way of saying you're fat. I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me fat, but I'd prefer they call me chubby. Mostly it would have to do with manner and repetition. If someone is always going out of their way to call me chubby, they've got some sort of issue with me they don't have the communication skills to address directly. If it just comes up in the context of a conversation and not just "Hey fatty, you're fat. Go on a diet, fatty," I don't see either as an insult.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:17 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I like stocky better.

Bingo!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
for the most part, nobody will notice if your lower body is less developed than your upper body. i work my full body, i go to the gym 5 days a week so i need to work everything to fill up 5 workouts. but in reality, upper body is going to matter more when it comes to appearance. lets be realistic, 1. how often are people able to see your legs? 2. in those few times when people see your legs, how often will they even notice them? my legs get pretty big when im trying to put on some muscle mass but only my wife notices and if they didnt get big she wouldnt notice that either.
Wish I had that kind of free time to go to the gym 5 days a week...

Women do notice men's legs by the way. Most won't say anything since it's not a typical feature to notice and compliment but some women will compliment them if they are particularly motivated to do so. My fiance complimented my legs on our first date since I was wearing shorts and she said "Wow you have some really nice legs for a guy". I had been complimented on them even before by a few others so women DO notice....just not very common for them to speak up about it.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
In my opinion, calling a guy "chubby" is equivalent to indirectly criticizing him for being a fat slob (I call this veiled insulting). It implies that he has little to no attention towards physical fitness. What are your thoughts. Do you also feel that calling a guy "chubby" indicates something unattractive about his physique.

For the Record, I always HATED being called chubby. But it is the bitter truth.
To me, "chubby" is a juvenile-sounding dig at a man's extra paunch... if someone called me "chubby", I would expect that the person's next action would be to pinch my cheek and say I was cute like a little kid. It's always struck me as a pejorative term. I was once called a "chubby chaser" - amusingly enough, that came from a very large lady whose affection I was seeking at the time. To me, it spoke volumes - "I'm not happy about my appearance and I think it's weird when guys prefer fat women". Needless to say, I didn't seek her affection for long.

I'm never one for preferring common terms for anything, but if you want to apply a common term to me, call me a "fat admirer". That's more true anyway... I have always admired the appearance of fat ladies far more than the appearance of thin ladies. I haven't chased women since I was 6 years old, and the only woman I've ever referred to as "chubby" was a lady at church a few years back for whom "Chubby" was her desired nickname. I never knew what her real name was... everyone called her "Chubby", that's how she introduced herself to me, etc. Whatever! (She was the church's cook, too... and though she had a bit of extra weight on her, it was nothing unusual. I guess you never want your cook to be named "Skinny"!! )

And if you want to refer to my extra weight, call it what it is... "fat". I have some extra fat on me. I'm a little bit fat. I'm cool with that. I'm totally in control of my weight. If I want to lose weight, I can do so easily.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Wish I had that kind of free time to go to the gym 5 days a week...

Women do notice men's legs by the way. Most won't say anything since it's not a typical feature to notice and compliment but some women will compliment them if they are particularly motivated to do so. My fiance complimented my legs on our first date since I was wearing shorts and she said "Wow you have some really nice legs for a guy". I had been complimented on them even before by a few others so women DO notice....just not very common for them to speak up about it.
I don't know if you get a lunch hour at work but that's when I work out. It takes about 45 minutes for a typical workout so I can work out daily and not take away from time with my family.

im sure in the world some women have noticed some legs. but if we are going to be honest with ourselves we need to stop pretending legs are getting noticed a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty