U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM

25,098 posts, read 31,293,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I counted 100 ironed shirts, on hangers, fingers paced with pullout racks of 25 ties per rack per color section yesterday. So much for the theory women care lot more about clothes)) let's not get into shoes or even boots.
so some men care a lot about fashion. im not sure why some people take the obvious small group and pretend as if they are the majority. im pretty sure the women's clothing industry is way bigger than the mens. there is a lot more business for companies to come up with new styles that customers will keep buying for women than for men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,580,756 times
Because fashion has become tied to self esteem for women. And since it really will not make or break self esteem, it needs to change constantly so fashionistas can go buy something else to make them feel better for a minute.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,585,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I counted 100 ironed shirts, on hangers, fingers paced with pullout racks of 25 ties per rack per color section yesterday. So much for the theory women care lot more about clothes)) let's not get into shoes or even boots.
Generally women still are more than average man. to value clothes. Men more likely to go to buy something while women more likely to shop for something to buy.Rarely does a man enjoy the shopping experience. of buying clothes.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM

3,250 posts, read 4,337,919 times
Men are brought up to live in fear of being 'different'. It's not an irrational fear at all, considering the level of violence against boys who don't look just right or act just right. Things are better, now, in the Western Democracies. But as recently as the 60s, young men who arrived on college campuses with hair deemed "too long" (and we're talking 'John Kennedy long', not 'Kerry Von Erich long'). Were wrestled down to the ground and forcibly/violently given buzzcuts.

Western traditions forbidding violence against women have left us with greater freedom of self-expression. Unfortunately, "self" expression for women generally means choosing to do exactly what our peers are doing. Decorators say (and have written) things to the effect of: "Women say they want something 'different'. But what they really mean is "Different from what my Mama had, but exactly like all my friends are getting". "

Therefore, if you can change the perception of "What all my friends are getting.", then you can change the style. So, women's styles change faster.

Then, there's the unspoken notion that creativity makes women 'special', but makes men vulnerable. That's changed just a bit, now. People have boys named Dustin and Cody, after all. But boys have traditionally gotten standard names, while girls could get silly names - names reminiscent of merchandise in a sweetshop or a liquor store... Not too dissimilar from women's being able to go off into wild flights of sartorial fancy.

Then, there's the difference in men's and women's bodies. A man's clothing ideally emphasizes the breadth of his shoulders and the narrowness of his pelvis. Not much more to it. But a woman's clothing, far too often, genuinely has to distract from her figure problems.

"Gloria, aren't these pictures from the Holocaust?"
Someone at my salon was playing on her computer, while I was getting my 'ten-colors-of-black' done. She was on a 'retro-nudist' site. "Yes. That's Babi Yar. I guess. There were other massacres like that, though. I've never seen these particular pictures. It could be Lithuania. It could be Latvia, it could be Croatia..." (after decades of Shoah Studies, I've moved past the horror, mostly)

Anyway, I was struck by how, with their long hair and beards, the men being led off to be shot into mass graves looked quite magnificent - athletic, even. But women of the same age, presumably their spouses, looked - bovine - awkward. It's really the only time I've seen a truly random assortment of ordinary naked men and women. Men are so beautiful, and women, for the most part, are just... not.

I think about 'Hyacinth Bucket' http://images.tvrage.com/people_gall...7822/40495.jpg, the central character in 'Keeping up Appearances'. Her clothes and hats are so pretty. She's a feast for the eyes. It's a while before one notices that her body, beneath those bright dresses, must be an absolute nightmare - the sort of thing I spend two hours a day at the gym trying to prevent my own body's becoming. But how many women have that option? How many women knew Senators and Governors of Mississippi, and so had the inside track on hiring the ubernannies who raised their kids? How many have access to a huge gym with a huge pool, and fitness models whose 'day jobs' are as Personal Trainers? How many can afford organic produce, and vitamin supplements? I've been lucky. How many women have husbands who can and will start a balanced organic Vegan dinner, if they're the first ones home, and who share equally in housework, grounds-maintenance, and child-rearing? (not many) Most women are, and traditionally have been, run ragged, and have no choice but for their bodies to assume the shapes they do.

And that, more than anything, is why women's clothing has to constantly change. New distractions, new ploys, new trompe-l'oeil, are required for continually diverting, fooling and delighting the eye.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:53 PM

42,717 posts, read 45,428,302 times
Women have 5, 000 moods, you try dressing for each one.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 PM

328 posts, read 602,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Women usually dress for looks while men typically dress for utility. I dress up to look nice, but at the same time want to get the job done. Even in today's world, men usually do all the tough and burly work while women often perform jobs that involve using soft skill rather than physical labor.
Now you got it right. Women dress for looks, so much so that utility, comfort, costs, ALL become secondary. Women allow the women industry to pull them around, manipulate them into buying the latest styles and throw out last years because it is outdated. And women become insulted if they go to an affair and there is another lady there with the same dress---they are ready to leave. Just think---would that ever happen to a man. And the worse sin is not having a bag that matches those new shoes and belt--AND don't forget that when carrying the bad make sure the Label is displayed outwards and it is a Name brand, not important that it is a phony reproduction. It is all about put-on for the public consumption, and having a poor self image. They evaluate themselves by their public appearance.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 AM

2,574 posts, read 4,802,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Women usually dress for looks while men typically dress for utility. I dress up to look nice, but at the same time want to get the job done. Even in today's world, men usually do all the tough and burly work while women often perform jobs that involve using soft skill rather than physical labor.
You haven't stayed home much with toddlers and lifted them up and down all day, gotten down on the floor to play with them, and gotten dirty outside with them, have you?

I'm a biologist and have spent a lot of time doing field work in South America and Africa, and trust me, it's very physical, and you don't wear high heels and skirts with frilly blouses. I guarantee you I've done much more physical work than my engineer brother who works in an office all day.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,559,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
You haven't stayed home much with toddlers and lifted them up and down all day, gotten down on the floor to play with them, and gotten dirty outside with them, have you?

I'm a biologist and have spent a lot of time doing field work in South America and Africa, and trust me, it's very physical, and you don't wear high heels and skirts with frilly blouses. I guarantee you I've done much more physical work than my engineer brother who works in an office all day.
I mentioned usually. I very well know there are women who are Cops and men who walk on fashion shows. However, any way you look at it, women gain self confidence by showing off their beauty while men gain self confidence by showing off their strength and level of fitness. Personally, I would have a much higher level of self confidence if I was strong and muscular like other men rather than showing off how cute I look in a suit. Similarly, I could care less about a woman's physical strength and usually focus on her clothes and body.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 AM

10,757 posts, read 9,774,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think the answer is simply that women care a lot more about clothes than men do.
^^this!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,947,516 times
I agree with Gloria that women are allowed more expression. Men don't spend a lot of time complaining about sexual double standards, but there are clearly pros and cons to being each sex. Not that the fairer sex doesn't have its own unique problems, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that women seem to have a monopoly on the "my sex got the short end of the stick" narrative. Nobody ever conscripted them off to war or shoved them down a coal mine. I also think that the workplace, in particular, has had a conservative influence on men's fashion. This is less true today, but forever, men's clothes, whether a professional suit or a blue collar pair of overalls, were work clothes. One especially doesn't want to push the bounds of acceptable clothing at the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty