Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Mila Kunis and Bradley Cooper are two of many celebrities who often are called great-looking by the media when anyone should be able to tell that they're nothing special. Why do you think the media often exaggerates the attractiveness of famous people?
Must be an eye of the beholder thing because Mila Kunis is truly beautiful. Bradley Cooper is a solid 9.5 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The media (this sector of it) owes their lively hood to this. They have to produce the "celebrity of the month", and keep this fresh in order to keep their target market satisfied. In order to do this, the media will prop up various people and see what sticks, some do, some do not. Example of one that does is that Kim K. woman, she has been a success for the media, and the media will play her out as they did with Paris Hilton, who has already faded.
That's plausible. Does anyone know whether overrating was common 30+ years ago? The entertainment media was much smaller then.

On Angelina Jolie - her body is overrated, but her face is 'unusually' pretty, in both senses of the word.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Mila Kunis I never understand as being gorgeous. I find her face very "pig" faced to be honest.
I think Mila Kunis splashed big back when she started on That 70s Show and had that "not even barely legal minx" thing going for her. (Internet says she was 15) IMHO 7 out of 10 dirty old/er men agree...<raises hand>
She's 30 now so pretty much an old lady to this demographic.

I have some acquaintances in film/tv production and they told me (~10 years ago) some "stars" are just ethereally attractive - physically. Others - whoa - make up saves the day!

Last edited by jayway; 12-29-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

148 posts, read 292,352 times
Quote:
See now I think Angelina is atrocious looking and Jennifer Lawrence is less than average looking, not pretty at all.
I think Angie is just ridiculous looking. I'm very straight, but I would go lesbian for that in a heartbeat. Jennifer Lawrence looks incredibly average to me without makeup. With it, she's absolutely stunning, but without a plane jane.

And as for Mila Kunis, I've seen so many Eastern European women that she looks kind of meh in comparison to them.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
It comes in waves or fads for some. Others have more staying power based on their popularity.

I personally dont see all the fuss over Jennifer Anniston but so many women want her look and she is everywhere. I think she is pretty but just above average.

I also remember a time when both Jennifer Lopez and Queen Latifah weren't considered even worthy to be looked at by the mainstream media. Now both are covergirls.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoceansandclearskies View Post
I think Angie is just ridiculous looking. I'm very straight, but I would go lesbian for that in a heartbeat. Jennifer Lawrence looks incredibly average to me without makeup. With it, she's absolutely stunning, but without a plane jane.

And as for Mila Kunis, I've seen so many Eastern European women that she looks kind of meh in comparison to them.
Wow. I find Angelina so distasteful and plain old fugly to be honest! Her lips get me sick when I look at them. She just looks like an alien to me. She's worse now than ever, but even back when she had more weight on, she didn't look attractive to me.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM

148 posts, read 292,352 times
Quote:
Wow. I find Angelina so distasteful and plain old fugly to be honest! Her lips get me sick when I look at them. She just looks like an alien to me. She's worse now than ever, but even back when she had more weight on, she didn't look attractive to me.
I think there are two types of beautiful women. There are the cute ones and the sexy ones. The sexy ones are like Angeline Jolie, Megan Fox, ScarJo, Adriana Lima, Amber Heard etc. The cute ones are like Taylor Swift, Kirsten Dunst, Selena Gomez, Emma Watson. Personally, I don't find the "cute ones" to be attractive, but many people don't find the "sexy" ones to be attractive. I've noticed this trend.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,889 times
Quote:
I think there are two types of beautiful women. There are the cute ones and the sexy ones. The sexy ones are like Angeline Jolie, Megan Fox, ScarJo, Adriana Lima, Amber Heard etc. The cute ones are like Taylor Swift, Kirsten Dunst, Selena Gomez, Emma Watson. Personally, I don't find the "cute ones" to be attractive, but many people don't find the "sexy" ones to be attractive. I've noticed this trend.
This. Also I've noticed certain types of men seem to go for the "cute" vs. the "sexy" ones. Myself I go mostly for the sultry exotic women.

Also of note: 95% of female celebrities are too scrawny for me to find really attractive.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
When you don't see someone up close and you don't see how they live and what they look like everyday (and you see them always looking perfect and photoshopped), you start to think they're amazing. But if you were to meet one of these people and get to know them, I'm sure the awe would fade incredibly fast. There are some celebs that I also don't understand the hype about. For example, when Gwyneth Paltrow was voted most beautiful woman on the planet…I was like "there are better looking girls in the supermarket."
Quote:
I think both of them are simply average, just glammed up since they are celebs. Mila Kunis I never understand as being gorgeous.
Agree. There are plenty of images of female celebrities without all the special effects and make up and
I see more attractive people walking down the street.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
to sell the dream.

It would be interesting to go back in time and see the old Hollywood stars in person. Some of them look like they had their faces drawn on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty