U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,642,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It comes in waves or fads for some. Others have more staying power based on their popularity.

I personally dont see all the fuss over Jennifer Anniston but so many women want her look and she is everywhere. I think she is pretty but just above average.

I also remember a time when both Jennifer Lopez and Queen Latifah weren't considered even worthy to be looked at by the mainstream media. Now both are covergirls.
I've always thought Anniston was attractive, but not sexy. I think Gwyneth Paltrow is average, and also not sexy. I think Jennifer Lawrence is more sexy than attractive, but she also has a charisma/presence about her as well, which is not something everybody in real life has.

I agree that there are many beautiful women out there that are as attractive, or more attractive, than some Hollywood celebrities.

I think with male celebs it's a bit different, because you don't find nearly as many guys with six-pack abs, bulging biceps and at least a decent face in the general public as you do in Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM

11,025 posts, read 8,813,485 times
Angelina Jolie was at her best looking when filming her Tomb Raider movie. Her physical trainer cut her off from cigarettes and changed her diet for the training. She's now skin and bones. Paltrow is below average appearance. Some women are sexy without being beautiful while some beautiful women are as sexy as a lump of coal. Sigourney Weaver in the first Alien movie and in Ghostbusters was sexy, but not beautiful. Young Nicole Kidman was beautiful but not sexy at all. Make-up & computer photoshop can make anyone beautiful

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM

7,342 posts, read 5,130,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Angelina Jolie was at her best looking when filming her Tomb Raider movie. Her physical trainer cut her off from cigarettes and changed her diet for the training. She's now skin and bones. Paltrow is below average appearance. Some women are sexy without being beautiful while some beautiful women are as sexy as a lump of coal. Sigourney Weaver in the first Alien movie and in Ghostbusters was sexy, but not beautiful. Young Nicole Kidman was beautiful but not sexy at all. Make-up & computer photoshop can make anyone beautiful
I thought she looked her best when filming Mr. and Mrs. Smith. She had lost her belly pooch and her face was starting to look sculpted and not chubby.

Even though she's skin and bones, she has still held onto that lovely face.

I agree about Sigourney Weaver, she is kind of plain to look at but jumps up a notch with her confidence and appeal.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,535,921 times
1) The entire premise of 'overrating' beauty is nonsensical. There is no rating for beauty; it is an entirely subjective assessment.

2) The media's raison d'etre is ratings, which are acquired by appealing to potential consumers. So when you want to know why the media does something, there's your reason.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM

7,322 posts, read 4,874,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I wonder if Mila Kunis has a thyroid problem, her eyes are unusually large and are starting to bulge.

When Bradley Cooper first came on the scene he was just average, but he has really polished up. His eyes are stunning.

I still think Angelina Jolie is a natural beauty, I love looking at pictures of her, even candid she never looks bad.

Jennifer Lawrence has a really glam face, almost like old Hollywood. She just looks average without the makeup though.
I adore AJ (though I prefer her earlier days, right at and before Mr. & Mrs. Smith), and not because I've been told countless times that I resemble her. Jennifer Lawrence is f*cking awesome. I also like Jennifer Garner.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM

47,533 posts, read 61,791,778 times
They are commodities, they have to be marketed --- but also there are many beautiful people whose looks are just that -- they aren't all that recognizable. I think there also has to be some uniqueness to the stars -- Julia Roberts for example to me isn't anything especially beautiful, but her features make her stand out, you know immediately that it's her.

I think it's like when you want a Miss America pageant - a lot of them don't stand out but they're all pretty enough. Many are just interchangeable Barbie dolls, and only certain ones stand out.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,799,487 times
Yeah I don't find most of the big celebs/actors/actresses, male or female, all that exceptional. Jolie has sex appeal (maybe less so now), but I find her face kind of odd looking, she looks like a goldfish lol. I thought Mila was hot in that 70's show but she also has that look, the bulbous lips/eyes...same with Katy Perry with her googly eyes, without makeup she looks kind of ugly tbh. Have you seen her before she was really famous when she was still a gospel/Christian singer? Yeah, odd looking, without sounding shallow or cruel. She should be judged on her singing not her looks anyway. Scarlett Johansen is another massively overrated one: kinda attractive, but 'sexiest woman' (well a few years ago)? Come on. Even Beyonce or something, ditto. Kim Kardashian makes me cringe: why so much attention on her? Fame for fame's sake. She's not bad but her whole personality just turns me off. There are still some natural beauties still but they tend not to be the big name ones. I think it's sort of unrealistic for celebrities to be too beautiful, actually, I mean they're supposed to be playing different roles. I definitely still think the older actresses like Vivien Leigh, Liz Taylor, Grace Kelly, Janet Leigh, Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardiner, Jane Fontaine beat today's anyday in terms of looks and style. As for men I think a lot of the current ones are overrated too, but I think Brad Pitt is pretty overrated. He's not bad looking, but he's far from one of the most attractive men imo.

A lot of celeb rags these days have a lot of photos of celebrities in less flattering light, too. I think they're there to show women that they're human too and well, you don't need to feel too bad if you don't look like how they do on screen or in some perfume ad.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,799,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They are commodities, they have to be marketed --- but also there are many beautiful people whose looks are just that -- they aren't all that recognizable. I think there also has to be some uniqueness to the stars -- Julia Roberts for example to me isn't anything especially beautiful, but her features make her stand out, you know immediately that it's her.

I think it's like when you want a Miss America pageant - a lot of them don't stand out but they're all pretty enough. Many are just interchangeable Barbie dolls, and only certain ones stand out.
True. I sometimes watch the Miss Universe pageant and they all look the same. The current 'in' look is to look Hispanic/Latina (I mean how many times has Miss Venezuela won?). I even notice even Miss Denmark or Sweden is often now brunette instead of blonde. Their hair, makeup, figure.etc is all the same. I mean they are beautiful, no doubt, but they're generic. How does one choose?

I agree about Julia, nothing spesh. TBH not the greatest fan of her (as an actress not looks), but she definitely does have character.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 AM

994 posts, read 1,313,563 times
Because a big part of being famous IS a person's looks, and there are strict categories in Hollywood for what type of look a celebrity has. Super sexy (Megan Fox, Brad Pitt in the 90s), super unconventional (Steve Buscemi, Sandra Bernhard), cute person-next-door (Jennifer Aniston, Tom Hiddleston) are a few of those categories. The media likes to oversimplify everything since they market to the lowest common denominators of society, so sometimes they'll wedge celebrities into categories that they may not actually belong in.

Off-topic: I hate Bradley Cooper so much. I'm not even sure why, he just looks like such a d*uche.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,982,552 times
She's could be the perfect 10 ... and maybe boarder line 11. ... ...

phyllis diller - Yahoo Image Search Results

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty