U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,885,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Mila Kunis and Bradley Cooper are two of many celebrities who often are called great-looking by the media when anyone should be able to tell that they're nothing special. Why do you think the media often exaggerates the attractiveness of famous people?
In no particular order:

1) Because people feel so poorly about their own appearances that they will pay to live vicariously through the supposedly better appearances of others. (Check out Mila Kunis without her makeup. She's as plain as anyone else.)

2) Because the media is in bed with the cosmetics industry, which makes billions of dollars every year selling products to people who buy those products because they are dissatisfied with their appearances. Were they not so dissatisfied, they wouldn't buy those products. Therefore, the media must make people dissatisfied with their own appearances and the only way to do so is through Photoshop and trumpeting the glories of these supposedly better-looking appearances.

3) Because people have an inborn tendency to worship something bigger than themselves. Since they don't recognize that that "something" is GOD, they instead misdirect their worship at people such as celebrities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM

368 posts, read 497,118 times
The female celebrities the media over hypes tend to look terrible without makeup, the guys tend to be generally good looking though.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM

34,769 posts, read 30,033,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Mila Kunis and Bradley Cooper are two of many celebrities who often are called great-looking by the media when anyone should be able to tell that they're nothing special. Why do you think the media often exaggerates the attractiveness of famous people?

Why do we care?

That's the bigger question.

They're just people.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,558,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
See now I think Angelina is atrocious looking and Jennifer Lawrence is less than average looking, not pretty at all.
Angelina Jolie is or should I say was the epitome of exxoticalness with those big luscious lips! Jennifer Lawrence..meh!

Again people should stop over inflating celebs, imagine if you could afford a personal trainer, personal chef, make up artist, plastic surgery, did not stress about bills & money even you would be gorgeous. Tonnes of average women get dolled up for their wedding day & prom day now if you had the opportunity to NOT leave the house until the best professionals worked on you, even you would be gorgeous.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM

10,487 posts, read 11,607,863 times
There's no accounting for taste, so we are in no position to say if you are right or wrong in your opinion of the attractiveness of these two people.

Nevertheless, when you mention the media in this context I assume you mean celebrity and entertainment magazines, shows, etc. Surely it must be obvious to you that their job is to sell the entertainment industry, and that includes making the stars look good.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,019,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Again people should stop over inflating celebs, imagine if you could afford a personal trainer, personal chef, make up artist, plastic surgery, did not stress about bills & money even you would be gorgeous. Tonnes of average women get dolled up for their wedding day & prom day now if you had the opportunity to NOT leave the house until the best professionals worked on you, even you would be gorgeous.

^^^That sums it up pretty well. There is a lot of money to be made by making women feel insecure
or unattractive i.e, cosmetics, fashion, surgery, weight loss programs (exactly what is a perfect
figure) and in some ways it has even rolled over to men.

btw, Angelina once said she had to grow into those lips. I think she is very attractive but a bit too thin.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 AM

8,206 posts, read 11,137,054 times
I never got the Marilyn Monroe beautiful thing. She looked average to me. Her body looked average too.

Now,there are people who are beautiful that the media doesn't hype.....Princess Kate for one.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,558,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I never got the Marilyn Monroe beautiful thing. She looked average to me. Her body looked average too.

Now,there are people who are beautiful that the media doesn't hype.....Princess Kate for one.
Katherine looks plain to me. At least Pipa got a nice big ass. Remember that dress she wore at Katherine's wedding? That ass gave me life.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM

910 posts, read 1,428,151 times
Kate Upton is another one who is away too overrated for her looks. Nothing special. It seems like huge boobs and blonde hair makes any woman hot these days.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM

3,080 posts, read 2,493,913 times
I was thinking of TV media when I asked the question.

Maybe stars' likeability is involved. I don't recall Katherine Heigl being cited for her beauty back when she had a great body (and good-enough face). She seems to have a bad personality.

It's also possible that there is a quasi-feminist agenda behind entertainment news shows, which seem to be largely staffed/controlled by women who aren't young and typically weren't great beauties. So they want to praise women their age or their junior equivalents and not the pretty young things.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-02-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty