Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

156 posts, read 270,007 times

Advertisements

The other day I walked into my usual nail salon that does eyebrow and lip waxing. I was sitting at the chair waiting for my turn reading a magazine.
This woman was near me drying her nails. She was checking me out and looking me up and down for whatever reason. And then goes 'so you bite your nails.' I ignored her and she goes excuse did you hear me? I look up. And she goes 'so you bite your nails' an she's smiling waiting for a response. I have no idea what to respond to a complete stranger who starts a conversation like that...I just said 'yes' and looked back down to continue reading my magazine.

What was she thinking? What did she expect me to say??? It's obvious I bite them, my nails look bitten and small...

I've had people say this to me my entire life, but usually it's a friend or a relative who says it or when I'm at a party already involved in a convo w/ someone. I always hated it when someone asks the same question (because I never know how to respond) but at least before it was someone I knew not a stranger!!

I mean seriously, I'd luv to have long beautiful nails and stop biting them. But I can't stop!

I just don't understand why this stupid lady thought her stupid question was such a great conversation starter and what she was expecting me to say??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,155 times
Smile you bite your nails

This is an issue affecting me. Like you, I am a chronic, unstoppable nail-biter. The habit seems incidental to most people. But as a professional man, I occasionally - though not often - hear the query, "You bite your nails?!" My response is always matter-of fact: "Yes. I'm a severe nail-biter. Always have been." I never appear ashamed or embarrassed when the issue comes up. That usually defuses and drops the issue.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM

874 posts, read 1,648,019 times
I do too. I don't really consider it a problem, it's just a habit that I can't seem to stop doing. I guess it's genetic because I find myself biting my nails without realizing it. My dad used to bite his nails at my age, but he stopped. So I guess if someone wanted to stop then they could one day.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
That was inappropriate for a random person to point out that you bite your nails. It is like pointing out that a person's hair is brown. Thank you for stating the obvious, and....??

However, I must caution you to please keep nail-gnawing to a minimum in public, for your health and everyone elses health. We have a chronic nail-biter at work and it creeps a lot of us out. Basically you are slathering germs from your mouth all over your fingers then touching things in common areas. Likewise, you are picking up who knows what germs on your hands then sticking them in your mouth. It's a great way to spread colds and the flu.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I've had that happen to me too.
Chronic nailbiter since infancy, and cannot stop. It's not just anxiety that triggers it, I HATE long nails. They creep me out.

I've kicked nicotine and a few other bad habits I'm reluctant to mention here, but for some reason I cannot stop biting the nails.

It is pretty rude for someone to bring it up in that context, I think.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:42 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I get grossed out watching fat people stuff their faces in buffet restaurants, but I'm not going to go over to them and say "So, I see you have an over-eating problem".

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM

14 posts, read 23,901 times
seriously, why should you care?
I don't care about what people comment about me.
You know you're pretty, that's ABSOLUTELY enough.
Others don't see it, FINE! It's just their poor that they don't see you pretty!!!
We women are always pretty!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Some people just don't think that drawing attention to something about which you might not exactly be proud is not a big deal, but I'm with you, especially b/c she persisted when you ignored her. That's just the height of rude.

I used to bite my nails and have found that if I keep them manicured (not professionally), then I am less apt to bite them. I keep them filed, buffed and polished pretty much all of the time with (usually) clear polish; I also have a cuticle nipper to trim hangnails.

I find that, if I keep up on my nail maintenance with tools, then I am less apt to use my mouth to try to do the job. That said, figuring out why you bite your nails is the first step to breaking the habit.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
I don't see why her making the comment was so offensive to be honest. She was making an observation and you confirmed it. No big deal. It would have been an issue if she lectured you about why you should stop biting your nails, etc. JMHO. I used to be a huge nail biter growing up. But, once I got into college I stopped. Not sure why, but my parents sure tried everything to get me to stop biting my nails - that bitter nail polish, etc. I guess it was just time to stop. But, frankly I could care less if others bite their nails. It does bug me that my dh does - well he actually picks at his nails which is a lot more annoying than actually biting nails to me.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 AM

236 posts, read 859,880 times
Aww, it's OK. I bite my nails. Done it since I was 3. The longest I stopped was for like 4 months, but then I got really nervous and nibbled my long nails away. That was almost 2 years ago, I've been trying to grow them back ever since. Nail biting is such a waste, especially when you have nice looking nail beds.

That lady should'nt of pointed out you bite your nails, it's none of her bussiness. Why should she care? I swear I hate it when people think they need to know everything about everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty