U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:05 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,913,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
clothing matters a lot to my wife and she was wearing children sizes (before she had a child) and she managed. she also complains about how its hard to find shoes with her small feet and yet she manages to have a bunch of storage bins filled with shoes. so you can manage and I believe she was able to get things cheaper since they were kids.
of course, we all can manage. but we all also can use tips to make it EASIER to manage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
It's kind of difficult to say... you definitely would look a lot slimmer at 90 pounds, but it's no fun wearing kids clothes. Maybe you could just concentrate on eating healthier and toning up. It is possible to lose belly fat without losing a lot of weight. Eat a low-fat diet, go running and do strength training exercises.
i feel my ideal weight is at 90 lbs too. i have to get back to that weight, lose belly fat without losing a lot of my chest isn't it usually the thing with women that when you lose weight, you lose a lot of your cleavage first before you even start to lose your belly fat? of course, im not saying that having a lot of extra weight up top is healthy.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:17 PM

13,336 posts, read 15,885,685 times
I don't think you need to worry about being 105 lbs. That is not excessive weight for your height. But if it bothers you, lose the weight. There are stores that specialize in petite sized clothing, like Petite Sophisticate, and most stores have a petite section. I'm petite too, and my problem is more getting leg lengths short enough to fit; I have to buy petite pants or they will be about a foot too long.

Are you saying even the close in the petite section of Macy's, Penney's, Nordstrom, Kohl's, etc. won't fit you? I'd be surprised, because they have really tiny clothes in those sections.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think you need to worry about being 105 lbs. That is not excessive weight for your height. But if it bothers you, lose the weight. There are stores that specialize in petite sized clothing, like Petite Sophisticate, and most stores have a petite section. I'm petite too, and my problem is more getting leg lengths short enough to fit; I have to buy petite pants or they will be about a foot too long.

Are you saying even the close in the petite section of Macy's, Penney's, Nordstrom, Kohl's, etc. won't fit you? I'd be surprised, because they have really tiny clothes in those sections.
i admit, i shop more in walmart and target than any of the department stores/malls.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM

34,769 posts, read 30,024,158 times
105 is not big for your size. I'm betting this belly you're worried about it is a tiny pooch. No health issues there. Try some abdominal strengthening... some yoga... etc.

No need to just diet to wind up in clothes you don't like.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,596,089 times
I know tailoring can be expensive and it's tough to shop when you're a weird size (I am too.) What I would recommend is to find a few REALLY good, classic work pieces and have those professionally tailored. Or even have a suit and a few work pieces hand-made for you by a professional seamstress. Yes, that is a slight expense the one time, but when you are an unusual size the manufacturers are not targeting, it's either get stuff altered or always be dressed in oddly-fitting stuff. I think most people have far more clothes in their closet than they really need and it would look much more professional to have a few great, neutral pieces you can pair up. I've learned to make mine last!

Part of being an unusual size is finding acceptance in the fact that you'll never be able to go to the mall and come out with a bag full of great-fitting clothes off the rack like they do in the movies. It just takes a little extra work...

Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I know tailoring can be expensive and it's tough to shop when you're a weird size (I am too.) What I would recommend is to find a few REALLY good, classic work pieces and have those professionally tailored. Or even have a suit and a few work pieces hand-made for you by a professional seamstress. Yes, that is a slight expense the one time, but when you are an unusual size the manufacturers are not targeting, it's either get stuff altered or always be dressed in oddly-fitting stuff. I think most people have far more clothes in their closet than they really need and it would look much more professional to have a few great, neutral pieces you can pair up. I've learned to make mine last!

Part of being an unusual size is finding acceptance in the fact that you'll never be able to go to the mall and come out with a bag full of great-fitting clothes off the rack like they do in the movies. It just takes a little extra work...
is there a support group for people of unusual size here in the US? i'm no US native (i'm here on work visa, so i'm no illegal alien ), hence all the greater difficulty with finding stuff to wear from top to bottom. would be nice to find a support group to have greater access to ideas and things that are really helpful.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM

11,318 posts, read 21,469,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i admit, i shop more in walmart and target than any of the department stores/malls.
That's the main issue...you should be able to find good quality petite clothes that fit but you'll have to find them at the mall or department store. My daughter has been wearing women's clothes since she was your height, the clothes that fit her best are Ann Taylor petites, or Talbot's petites, also White House/Black Market seems to fit her well. She's 5' now but that just means I don't have to shorten her pants anymore.

If you don't want to pay mall prices, you can try thrift stores. It takes more searching through things, but we find a good assortment of petite clothes at the thrift stores.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 AM

3,058 posts, read 6,746,532 times
I don't understand how items regarding of weight are not too long especially pants? I would think for nice clothing getting them altered would be your best bet. Have you looked in juniors?
As for weight I would do what is best for your health. I don't see why you have to pick either 90 or 105 when you may feel your best at another number.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:10 PM

2,839 posts, read 5,132,936 times
You shop at Walmart so the quality there isn't great (I used to shop there too when I was low on funds), but then I discovered thrift stores, OMG I could get really good quality clothes for a fraction of the cost. $4 shirts, $5 pants, really good brands too. You just have to find good thrift stores in your area.

You might have a harder time finding your exact size BUT when only paying a few dollars you can afford tailoring. BTW there are cheaper tailors out there- go to dry cleaners, it's cheaper there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty