U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,905,430 times

Advertisements

I've got a pair of Frye penny loafers that I bought in 1982, and I still have them. Otherwise, my shoes usually lasts a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,734,072 times
Years. In a four-season climate they lost longer. I have some Sorel snow boots that are maybe 6-7 years old; also Teva sandals about that old. But they get worn only part of the year.

Since I wear formal-dressy shoes maybe twice a year LOL my oldest pair is at least a decade old.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 AM

3,080 posts, read 2,492,175 times
Good question. Maybe 1.5 years for sneakers, a few years for casual shoes (rarely more than 2), and longer for dress shoes (which I almost never wear).

Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 AM

322 posts, read 206,747 times
My uggs last me 2 to 2 1/2 years before they start looking rough. Sneakers usually a year to 2 years. Flats usually a year. It depends on how often i wear the shoe, what type of weather, etc. Generally i am not buying a new pair of shoes every year unless i really want to.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 AM

18,908 posts, read 24,372,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Everything except summer sandals lasts for several years if not decades. I buy good quality shoes and maintain them. If it's slushy out, I wear appropriate boots, such as those waterproof ones by Totes.
several years... with the same shoe??? are you a horse??

i'm lucky to get 5-6 months before they wear out

Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM

6,000 posts, read 8,849,147 times
Depends on the shoe. I've had my work shoes now for about 4 years. I have 4 pairs and I rotate them, though a couple are falling out of the lineup. I'm close to the point of needing to get more.

Running shoes can be used for running for around a year, maybe less. Then they get demoted to recreational or garden duty. I have other fashion sneakers that last about a year, because I wear them a lot.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,617,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I know obviously it depends on the kind of shoe (since if you have fancy, dressy shoes that only come out to see the light of day, they may slumber for years in the closet untouched ), but what is a typical span of time for your everyday shoes, working and walking about your daily life?

I find a year to be typical for a life of many kinds of shoes these days, whether fancy or utilitarian, that get regular use (at least weekly or many days a week). Probably, some factors such as the fact that I live in a climate with ice in winter (thus salt on the streets) shorten their lives. I walk moderate amounts a day now and spend a moderate amount of time on my feet (I probably walked more in college).

Also, is it just me or are shoes supposed to be more cheaply made more and more these days. I remember people saying back even as not so long ago as the 90s that their shoes lasted for years more.
Probably no more than two years. And yes, I buy decent shoes, but since I'm getting up there in years, my feet seem to have a mind of their own. I keep about ten pairs on hand at the most. I'm retired so don't have a need for a big wardrobe of shoes. And I spent over 20 years in combat boots, so never had a need then either. But I did like comfy boots.

I buy what feels good on my feet, which means a wider toebox.

I don't want to end up like my mother with bunions and squished up gnarly toes. If I feel pressure somewhere that wasn't there before - I do not wear them any longer. She would wear what looked good and not what was good for you.

But nowadays you can find both - some might not agree.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,733,454 times
I've had one pair of winter boots for 8 years that are just beginning to show their age, I've used them for everything from shopping to snow shoeing so they've done me well. I tend to invest a little more in shoes, mostly because they fit better and they last longer so most of my other shoes are around 5-7 years old.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:42 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,617,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have a pair of beautiful Cole Hahn ankle boots that I've had for fifteen years - I've had them resoled twice. I have some favorite Born clogs that are at least ten years old and look and feel as great as the day I bought them, and I've never even had them polished (and I've worn them and worn them and worn them). I buy really good shoes though - for every day wear anyway (dress shoes that I don't wear often I'm not as particular about). I buy nearly all Cole Hahns, Borns, and Dansko for everyday shoes -but I buy them at the end of the season and so I usually get them at half price -or lower. My favorite brand of dressier shoe is Antonio Melani - beautiful pumps and I don't think the price point is unreasonable.

Whenever I go to Germany, I come back with several pairs of terrific leather shoes - Germans and Italians make some great footwear!

Yes, I am a shoe lover!
I love Born shoes, but I saw some really cute mary jane style shoes made by Alegria and I think that is going to be my new favorite.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM

365 posts, read 572,959 times
I've had a pair of Nike slipons like Van's for 7 years. So comfortable but, I don't wear them everyday. A pair of tennis shoes will generally last me a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or