Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:24 PM

613 posts, read 1,163,157 times

Advertisements

I know obviously it depends on the kind of shoe (since if you have fancy, dressy shoes that only come out to see the light of day, they may slumber for years in the closet untouched ), but what is a typical span of time for your everyday shoes, working and walking about your daily life?

I find a year to be typical for a life of many kinds of shoes these days, whether fancy or utilitarian, that get regular use (at least weekly or many days a week). Probably, some factors such as the fact that I live in a climate with ice in winter (thus salt on the streets) shorten their lives. I walk moderate amounts a day now and spend a moderate amount of time on my feet (I probably walked more in college).

Also, is it just me or are shoes supposed to be more cheaply made more and more these days. I remember people saying back even as not so long ago as the 90s that their shoes lasted for years more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,646,151 times
Everything except summer sandals lasts for several years if not decades. I buy good quality shoes and maintain them. If it's slushy out, I wear appropriate boots, such as those waterproof ones by Totes.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,985,596 times
I usually keep most of my shoes and boots 5 yrs or longer I take care of my clothes and my shoes .

Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM

35,410 posts, read 20,779,044 times
5 to 10 yrs

Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Flat shoes dont seem to last very long and are difficult to send off to show repair. Boots last much longer.

Sandals: 1-3 years
Flats: 1-2 years
Dress shoes: 5+

Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times
I have a pair of beautiful Cole Hahn ankle boots that I've had for fifteen years - I've had them resoled twice. I have some favorite Born clogs that are at least ten years old and look and feel as great as the day I bought them, and I've never even had them polished (and I've worn them and worn them and worn them). I buy really good shoes though - for every day wear anyway (dress shoes that I don't wear often I'm not as particular about). I buy nearly all Cole Hahns, Borns, and Dansko for everyday shoes -but I buy them at the end of the season and so I usually get them at half price -or lower. My favorite brand of dressier shoe is Antonio Melani - beautiful pumps and I don't think the price point is unreasonable.

Whenever I go to Germany, I come back with several pairs of terrific leather shoes - Germans and Italians make some great footwear!

Yes, I am a shoe lover!

Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,342,632 times
It's a chicken-and-egg dilemma: poorly made cheap footwear, and fact that fewer and fewer people are around to repair shoes.
It ends up being cheaper to buy new shoes than to get a good pair fixed, alas-if you can even find a cobbler anyplace nearby these days...
My boots & sneakers last a decade (and I walk outdoors a few times a week), I would guess-they were pricey when new, though.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,985,387 times
I buy really good shoes, usually quite expensive. I have a hard foot to fit. Unlike Kathryn, if I waited until the end of the season, I wouldn't have any choice at all.

If I buy European, then the shoes will last a number of years, perhaps more than 5. If I buy American, then a couple of years at most.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
It's a chicken-and-egg dilemma: poorly made cheap footwear, and fact that fewer and fewer people are around to repair shoes.
It ends up being cheaper to buy new shoes than to get a good pair fixed, alas-if you can even find a cobbler anyplace nearby these days...
My boots & sneakers last a decade (and I walk outdoors a few times a week), I would guess-they were pricey when new, though.

So true. One of my best shoes ever was a coach kitten heel. They are holding up ok despite some unfortunate encounters with cracked tiles and sidewalk grates. I got them back in 2002. One of my first nicer shoes.

Sadly a few weeks ago I bought some suede wedge booties. Wore them 3-4 times and the heel caved in. Luckily she repair was $10.

You have to look hard but I find shoe repair varies widely in cost and quality. I've seen heel tip replacement range from $6-20.

I highly recommend getting you shoes resolved with the vibrams. About $15-20. I haven't had one wear out yet...some on shoes from 10 years ago. I wish I would have known and reinforced the tips on all my pointy toed shoes long ago.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,786,156 times
My only requirements for a pair of shoes - they have to be comfortable and serve their purpose well.

I wear a pair of shoes until they walk-off on their own due to excessive use. Then I track them down and force them to give-up the remaining steps left in them. Shoes are meant to serve - I have no mercy on shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty