Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Strength is now admired more in women hence now we want to see bare armed biceps??

Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Strength is now admired more in women hence now we want to see bare armed biceps??
The problem is that most women (at least most American women) have flabby arms.

Flabby arms are a pictorial problem. Most knowledgeable portrait photographers will advise women to wear long sleeves for any portrait. If they don't, we'll have to pose and light them to obscure their bare arms, or Photoshop them later.

I expect my statement will arouse hot replies of "not my arms!" and there is a percentage--a small percentage--of women with well-toned arms. And the camera always adds apparent girth anyway.

Really, seriously, the vast majority of brides look better in photographs with sleeved dresses.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:09 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
I would bet that both the dresses tinytrump has shown are very structured boned strapless dresses with lace and beaded overlays. All this is easily done with a good seamstress at a good bridal store -- which is why I stand by my statement that a strapless dress is a great starting off point.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Everything fashion-related goes in waves of trends that come and go, and wedding gowns are like anything else. Sleeveless is simply the dominant trend right now, and in many cases, current gowns with sleeves either look vintage (which can be quite lovely, but isn't everyone's taste), or just dated. The sleeved gowns right now that look the most contemporary are the ones with sheer, fitted overlay sleeves.

I got my wedding gown this past September, and although I did not expect to find a lot of sleeved options, I thought I'd see more than I did. I ended up going the strapless route, even though it's not my usual pick. Sometimes, the dress you choose is not the type you thought you'd choose...a lot changes once you try things on.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Why should we have to look at a strapless gown as a starting point, These gowns should not even be called wedding dresses, it has gotten to the point that many of them are obscene, with not only no sleeves and deep front and back but also see through.

I assume this is so the bride does not have to change clothes to go right to the wedding night!!!
For most couples they have already been through the honeymoon as most already live together. People like to dress like trashy celebrities for some reason. The bride will probably twerk at the reception since it's the rage. What better place than a wedding?

Nice society we live in.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
no one in their right mind can actually want to go out wearing this with a fat back , not everyone has a nice back and surely they must know... same with arms that are heavy and best hidden..

Bridal gown back fat- no bueno! | Fancy Pants Weddings

oh please no.. http://forum.fok.nl/topic/1415506/3/25

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-05-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
no one in their right mind can actually want to go out wearing this with a fat back , not everyone has a nice back and surely they must know... same with arms that are heavy and best hidden..

Bridal gown back fat- no bueno! | Fancy Pants Weddings

Back cleavage and hair - my hormones are raging...NOT!

Arms swinging 25 an extra pounds should have a jacket or something...might as well wear a sweatshirt. Why do women insist on trying to fit into a $$$ dress 2 sizes too small for a one day event? The dress will never be worn again unless the bride is generous. I don't know why women insist upon and then hold onto those things...especially given the 50% divorce rate. Should have bought a car instead.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Please! The United States Marine Core recently dropped the pull up requirements down to three for females and a majority of women couldn't even do that many. So where are all these "strong" women with powerful biceps, because am sure the US military would love to have them.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,874,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Please! The United States Marine Core recently dropped the pull up requirements down to three for females and a majority of women couldn't even do that many. So where are all these "strong" women with powerful biceps, because am sure the US military would love to have them.
We are a nation of fatty's, and it's sad that our military jumps on the lazy bandwagon as well. 3 pull ups? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty