Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I find strapless wedding dresses too much like prom dresses and not really appropriate, but then Im older, I thought with the lovely Duchess of Cambridge having sleeves they would become more popular.. back in the 60s you would never have seen a strapless wedding dress...

Moderator cut: copyright violations

Are dresses with sleeves in style in the UK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Never.

To the OP, a lot of it is out of necessity. The majority of weddings are spring and summer when it is hot or warm. Many brides cannot afford 100% silk so the alternative is a man made fabric which does not breath, therefore sleeveless and strapless.
Lace.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Seriously? I'm sure that you might believe that, but I don't think so. People follow what fashion dictates. And right now, fashion dictates sleeveless. That's only MHO though.
Yes. If it were a matter of climate, there would be sleeved wedding dresses on the racks starting around June, and in some areas there would always be sleeved dresses on the racks.

Plus...air conditioning does exist. The climate situation is no different now than back in the 80s when sleeved dresses were in fashion (they needed sleeves to sew those huge shoulders to). If brides could live with sleeves and those big shoulders back then, they can live with sleeves today.

You're right, this is a fashion dictation. I know of women who understand they would look better in sleeved dresses, and do complain about being unable to find sleeved dresses on the racks.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Wedding dress trends are always evolving, gradually. Little trends here and there that are hardly noticeable year against year. But compare styles every 5 years and you can really see how styles have evolved.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
On some of these wedding dress shows like say yes to the dress I have to believe they pick women who want over the top wedding dresses to add drama to the show. Some of the dresses look like costumes and some larger busted women show too much cleavage where it is almost inappropriate for the occasion.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I think it's pretty funny how offended some people seem to be by the lack of sleeves on a dress. Wow. All of a sudden you have no sense of morals without a sleeve? Reality check, please---we're not all having church weddings.

Personally, I think everyone should do what works for them. I wasn't interested in a dress with sleeves so my wedding gown was sleeveless. My goal was to get a very plain dress that was cheap and looked okay on me because I didn't even want to have a wedding. I'm like the other poster who said that she's tall and slender. Anyway, I ended up with something like this: Chiffon Soft Gown with Side Drape - David's Bridal

Perhaps it wouldn't look good on everyone but it looked great on me.

If you like sleeves, that's great. What's the problem? I always see dresses with sleeves around and if not, that's something that could always be added. I thought the link with the sleeved dresses had some very nice things but again, not for me.

I think some people here watch too many reality TV shows---never have I seen anyone dressed outrageously for a wedding, as people here seem to believe it happens on a regular basis. Perhaps you've been watching one too many episodes of My Big Fat Gypsy American Wedding?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Mine looked a lot like this, but short. Funny thing is, it wasn't even a wedding dress, but something I found in the prom department.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Interesting thread when I first walked by here, I thought OP was trolling I could not imagine a wedding dress with sleeves then I saw pics & yup most are nice. Funny I had never even heard of it!
Are you serious? I had no idea wedding dresses DIDN'T have sleeves anymore. I knew some were strapless, but I thought that was an alternate style.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Cake is messy,hahah! no sleeves, no laundry

Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty