Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That was certainly your choice. Some women would cover every inch of skin in public, others are more comfortable in public. You sound like the typical prudish woman who thinks everyone should make the same choices she did.
I did not say everyone should make the same choices as I did/do. I also don't look like I get paid by the hour. I don't wear my pajamas while grocery shopping. I don't leave my house in slippers. I also don't let my thong or panties hang out 6 inches above my jeans. I have standards and morals. More people should have them. A number of societies problems are due to the lack of standards and morals.

How would you know I'm a prude? Because the way a woman dresses doesn't always give away her secrets. In fact, your clothing shouldn't give it all away! Some things are better left to the imagination.

Oh and my husband of 17 years prefers to be married to someone who is lady out in public. What happens at home stays at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The odd thing is that most women with skinny features feel the cold much quicker than those who are overweight. Typically, its the cute skinny chic's who hide under a sweater the moment it drops below their comfort zone because their hands and shoulders feel uncomfortably chilly.

Heavier women usually tend to wear sleeveless clothes because they sweat a lot more and feel uncomfrotable in the heat. I am pretty sure that these choices can be linked as to why women with bulkier features are likely to go sleeveless and strapless for wedding dresses.
I'm a heavier lady and I don't feel uncomfortable in the heat nor do I sweat anymore than I did when I was thin. I did not go sleeveless nor strapless when I got married. Even now, I don't own a top without sleeves or straps. Some of us are just more modest and don't want the world to see our goods.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Because it's inappropriate! I got married on August 31st and it was 90 something degrees. I still wore short sleeves and had a 6 foot train bustled to my rear end. Some ladies - notice I said ladies - are modest and don't believe the world needs to see their goods. I grew up being taught to respect myself and those around me and not to advertise my body. My body was for me and my husband only. And no I'm not 60 years old. I in my 30's and come from divorced parents.
Hah. I don't think that my shoulders being exposed is showing "my goods."

Quote:
My grandfather told me - until he could no longer speak - that it paid to advertise and you better watch what you're advertising. If you looked like a skank, he'd be the first to tell you.
What a kind, respectful grandfatherly thing to do!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah. I don't think that my shoulders being exposed is showing "my goods."

What a kind, respectful grandfatherly thing to do!
Actually, in some cultures and religions, showing your shoulders is exposing your goods. And it's very inappropriate.

He didn't want his daughters or granddaughters looking trashy. You weren't allowed to leave his house if he thought you looked inappropriate. It's not like I walk around in a bonnet and a dress from Little House on the Prairie. i do keep covered. I'm not into advertising and my husband wouldn't appreciate it either. So, yes, I do think my grandfather did something good by telling me exactly what he thought! It made me learn to have respect for myself as well as those around me. I also don't hang out with people who dress trashy. I didn't in high school or college either. You're the company you keep. Sounds old fashioned, but it's worked for me all these years and in times where boys walk around with their underpants hanging out for the world to see, I'd rather be like I am.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Crumpled Kleenex was the common description at least in some UK media. Bellville Sassoon had been a favourite design house for British royals, and others since the 1950's but cannot believe they got away with that dress. Bellville Sassoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B-S still is highly regarded in some fashion circles helped along no doubt by their association with the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Some of their modern dresses are quite lovely, so guess they learned their lesson: https://www.google.com/search?q=Bell...iw=853&bih=561

Bellville Sassoon didn't do Diane's wedding dress -- that was designed by David and Elizabeth Emmanuel. I believe Sassoon did her "going-away" dress.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Actually, in some cultures and religions, showing your shoulders is exposing your goods. And it's very inappropriate.

But not in my culture OR my religion. And since it's MY shoulders/MY wedding I was talking about, the norms of other cultures and religions have little bearing.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But not in my culture OR my religion. And since it's MY shoulders/MY wedding I was talking about, the norms of other cultures and religions have little bearing.
Well good for you! Not everyone feels that way. Your culture and your religion aren't the only one in attendance. There could be guests who are sensitive and there are brides out there who would not want to offend someone at a wedding.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Oh dear! There's only so much Photoshop can fix. It doesn't erase memories however. If your so stuffed in your dress that can't tell if you're coming or going, then there's a huge problem going on.
hahahahahahaha...brilliant

Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Well, Mary's dress in Sherlock, while not long sleeved, is sleeved and looks quite charming. Is the slutty sleeveless look not as popular in Britain?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Well, Mary's dress in Sherlock, while not long sleeved, is sleeved and looks quite charming. Is the slutty sleeveless look not as popular in Britain?
Nope -- just as popular, but they do have more choices. I looked online at a couple of UK dress places, and all the dresses look as if they are the structured and boned style required for strapless, but some have straps, and some have the sleeved lace shell over top, like Kate Middleton.

I do wonder if the British bride who marries in a church feels more inclined to cover up a little.

And yes -- Mary's dress in Sherlock was beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty