U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,922,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
From where to where and most importantly, WHAT CAR ????

I did a 972 mile road trip from central Georgia to southern new Jersey in 1 day. At one point, I felt so hot and wore a sleeveless undershirt with jeans (AS A GUY ) because it was 92 F, the sunlight was so intense, and humidity was insane. I did wear a proper shirt while getting off the car though (for those who think its gross for a man to wear such clothes in public). This was done in early June BTW and it was a relieving pleasant 54 F in NJ when we arrived late at night.
Florida to the NC mountains then up & down the southeast coastline then to NYC (all boroughs) then to quite a few towns in Upstate NY & PA, Maryland & DC then back to Florida this past July & August in a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country...the boopmobile did great! I wasn't hot at all, it was such a relief from the Florida heat, plus my van has great a/c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,555,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Florida to the NC mountains then up & down the southeast coastline then to NYC (all boroughs) then to quite a few towns in Upstate NY & PA, Maryland & DC then back to Florida this past July & August in a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country...the boopmobile did great! I wasn't hot at all, it was such a relief from the Florida heat, plus my van has great a/c
My car has great AC too. But the intense sun and humidity made me start feeling uncomfortable in sleeves as noon approached. Since everyone was asleep, I slipped off my plaid shirt and turned down the A/C to drive comfortably . Summer down south is intense.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,454,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Bullseye . You figured it out. I do the same.

Surprised EVERYONE forgot about them. They are vital.

I will start sprinkling in a couple riddles from now on. Should do them more often in the least expected places.

What if I like to drive at night and sleep during the day?

I wear sunglasses - gotta be polarized - anytime I am out of doors. I don't consider them an accessory just as I wouldn't reading glasses. I have different pairs for whatever activity I will be doing. The best are for driving and others are for hiking with the dog or riding the mower. I went outside yesterday and the bright sun reflected off the snow and blinded me. Had to run and get my shades. Cell phone is an accessory.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 AM

3,253 posts, read 4,746,066 times
I usually go for slippers (I take them off while driving), basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I got as light as possible so I'm comfortable. I've done a decent amount of road trips, even went from Los Angeles to Chicago on Sunday morning to Monday night and never felt uncomfortable.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 52,403,484 times
Add light yellow glasses for night driving to cut the glare of those "death beam" blue headlights.

Just wear cloths that are loose and comfortable and don't even try to make a fashion statement.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,427,989 times
I have quite a bit of long haul driving experience (not as a trucker, just a consultant willing to go where the dollars take me). My rule for driving attire is that it needs to be loose fitting, have pockets for my wallet and cellphone when I get out of the car, boxers not briefs (helps for the quick bathroom breaks if you're a guy), and ideally comfortable shoes with a semi-rigid sole so that the pedals respond appropriately when I apply pressure.

I also make certain to keep a bag for trash handy, a bottle of water to drink within reach and make sure all the necessary car chargers are either plugged in or situated where I can quickly swap them in/out. I also will only use my phone as a GPS device if I have my dashboard/window mounting bracket with me because I've learned that anything that takes your eyes away from the road is a very bad thing. Oh, and I also recommend keeping a hair brush in the glove compartment or storage bin because after a few hours of being on the road we can all look a little disheveled when we unfold ourselves from the car.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Here is an interesting article which talks about how solar radiation increases the rate at which skin wrinkles for truckers.

Trucker accumulates skin damage on left side of his face after 28 years on the road - CBS News

I know this forum is dominated by women (who usually shy away from becoming a trucker). But it could very well happen for those who go on long drives frequently. Just thought you might want to know about it.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,118,434 times
Driving mostly in the summer and in hot parts of the SW USA. T-shirt, jean's cutoff with pockets, and thongs. A/C works great but still like to be comfortable , especially at rest stops. In and other times, usually, jeans and comfortable shirt. Jacket in the backseat. I have seen a lot of sloppy looking people at McDs and other places in dingy looking clothes. I am comfortable but try not to look that way.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM

I would like to do a Road trip from Home to Quebec city in summer via Vermont. Route plan is I 287-I 684-I 84-I 91-A 55- A 20

Will carry a windbreaker with me because I hear nights can get cold up there.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-06-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM

10,043 posts, read 8,899,625 times
In the winter I wear black leggings, long sleeve black tee, Uggs and I'll keep a blazer and scarf of some sort in the car with me.

In the summer a sundress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty