U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,547,398 times

Advertisements

I hate being so short. I usually never lie about stuff, but always wanted to break the 6' barrier. Never happened so I faked being 6' tall since I was just 1/8" shorter than the limit and nobody will actually notice. Sorry . My actual height is 5'11.8759" as measured by using metrologoy at 1:49 PM on October 19th 2012 with the air pressure at 14.6832 Psi .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-05-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM

803 posts, read 1,411,263 times
We live in a society that is tenfold more shallow and unrealistic than it was a generation ago. Men lie about their height for the same reason women lie about their weight/body type, their characteristics don't measure up to the ideal. Lots of men that lift weights lie about their weight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Oh puh-leeze... That problem exists in these mens heads, and makes them act like you know who - take it from a 6ft tall woman with enough life experience.
And if it weren't for the height, there is always something else that one could think is basis for "discrimination" - weight, presence or lack of hair, color of that hair, make of their car...
When you see and hear lots of women making demands for taller men, especially on dating sites, there is an incentive for shorter men to lie about their height. I think these men do have the power to shrug it off, accept themselves for who they are and call women out on their bullsh*t but they don't...

Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM

12,350 posts, read 20,959,217 times
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, how do you know how tall you are? You measure yourself.

I hadn't been measured by my doctor in forever, and when I applied for my license I gave them the measurement *I* took. When I measure myself I am 5'3". Every single time.

Well -- I can't measure for nothing.... the doctor measured me a few years back and I'm 5'5". Had hubby do it -- 5'5"....

Maybe the guy is measuring himself badly.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,311,992 times
I don't know, but it's hilarious.

I've noticed that the people most likely to lie tend to be in the average range, the women in the 5'3-5'7 range and the men in the 5'7-5'10 range. People who are super short don't usually lie because their shortness is so obvious. Similarly people who are tall, like me (5'10 female), don't usually lie because our tallness is so obvious. But there's plenty of wiggle room to fudge the stats when you're mid-range.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM

9,199 posts, read 8,518,322 times
People lie about their height, weight, etc., etc., Because they want to fit in. They want to be at least average. Men lie about their height, as they have found being short a handicap in many ways. Lie and they feel they are normal. Women lie about their weight, and measurements, etc., as they give the weight they would feel they would be seen sexier, and more attractive.

I found being tall, helped a lot. Fast track to promotions, and had men who had been around longer and did an outstanding job, worked for me. This happened even in the navy back in early 50s.

The only thing about reaching 6 foot while still 9 years old, I lost a number of things. Example, there was a girl I really liked when in the 6th grade. She was having a birthday party. Her mother let her invite the entire class (15 kids) but not me or 3 other tall guys. Three of us were 6 foot tall, and one was already 6'3" that went on to be 6'5" tall. She asked me to walk her home, so she could get me invited. I was outside sitting on their porch swing while she went in to talk to her mother. I heard her ask her mother, and I will never forget her answer. "No you can't invite him. You can look at him and tell by his height he is about 4 years older than the rest of the class. This means he is so dumb, they have held him back for years. I want you to stay away from him." I left not waiting for Betty to come out and tell me. The truth was, Betty was the youngest in our class and I was 5 days older than her. I have had other tall men tell the same type of story when they were growing up.

Once you are grown, it becomes different story, turning from a curse to a blessing.

You would think that I would pick a tall girl to marry. No my wife is 5'2" tall, and 2 years older than I am. Back when we were getting ready for our wedding, people kept asking if she was going to wait to finish high school, before we got married as she always has looked younger than she is. Thinking she was about 16, rather than just turned 23. People would ask her, why she married a man so much older than she was.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM

48 posts, read 100,626 times
Meh, I'm 5.375" and a dude. I round up to 5'4". No point lying because numbers don't matter when you're THAT far off.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM

293 posts, read 387,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter Writer View Post
Meh, I'm 5.375" and a dude. I round up to 5'4". No point lying because numbers don't matter when you're THAT far off.
Your honesty is refreshing

Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM

582 posts, read 964,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hate being so short. I usually never lie about stuff, but always wanted to break the 6' barrier. Never happened so I faked being 6' tall since I was just 1/8" shorter than the limit and nobody will actually notice. Sorry . My actual height is 5'11.8759" as measured by using metrologoy at 1:49 PM on October 19th 2012 with the air pressure at 14.6832 Psi .
Wow! 5'11". How do you deal with being so short ?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,547,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Wow! 5'11". How do you deal with being so short ?
I feel tiny when sitting next to a bunch of 6'4" muscular fellas from the great white north. One fist bump from those fellas and I am toast.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM

842 posts, read 946,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Oh puh-leeze... That problem exists in these mens heads, and makes them act like you know who - take it from a 6ft tall woman with enough life experience.
And if it weren't for the height, there is always something else that one could think is basis for "discrimination" - weight, presence or lack of hair, color of that hair, make of their car...
It does exist in our heads, but women are a HUGE reason for this. Just look at this quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Now I know this is satire, but it isn't far from the truth. Many women view a man under 6'0". as a "shorty" solely because he doesn't pass that magical 6ft number. The average height of a man in America is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10". Regardless of this, I've seen plenty of women on this very site prefer a man to be at least 6'0", despite that she may be 4'11" herself. I've even saw a poster claim she was disappointed to find out that her boyfriend was 5'11", not 6'0".

We can also say that weight problems exists in women's heads because of men. It does. Men and women are equally superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty