U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Location: southern california
57,168 posts, read 76,156,441 times
Reputation: 50248

Advertisements

im a giant. no? well ok. im a real estate giant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
94 posts, read 152,479 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Oh puh-leeze... That problem exists in these mens heads, and makes them act like you know who - take it from a 6ft tall woman with enough life experience.
And if it weren't for the height, there is always something else that one could think is basis for "discrimination" - weight, presence or lack of hair, color of that hair, make of their car...
Easy for you to say. You're a woman, and height doesn't matter to most men unless you happen to be the rare woman who's over 6 feet tall. Try walking in a man's shoes. Or don't...and choose to be ignorant and dismiss the concerns of underprivileged groups. (Yes, short men can be considered an underprivileged group because they earn considerably less money than taller men. In contrast, being overweight no longer factors into one's earnings because being overweight is now normal.)

Also, the color of one's hair and the make of one's car are terrible comparisons. Those are choices that people make and that can be changed. One's weight is also changeable in many cases. Height is not.

I do know a few shorter men who act like Napoleon, if that's who you were getting at, but it's their personality type that makes them seem that way. It's just easy to think of them as Napoleon-like because they're short. I admit, I think of them that way, too, even though it's unfair of me—and you—to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,725 posts, read 16,737,101 times
Reputation: 13339
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I guess because being tall is considered attractive in our society. I think I'm technically 5'1 and 3/4, but I always just say I'm 5'2". It's not that bad of an exaggeration.
Yeah, I round up to 5'9". Actually 5'8" and 3/4 or so.

Quote:
I do know a few shorter men who act like Napoleon, if that's who you were getting at, but it's their personality type that makes them seem that way. It's just easy to think of them as Napoleon-like because they're short. I admit, I think of them that way, too, even though it's unfair of me—and you—to do so.
Napoleon was fairly significantly taller than average, something like 4-6 inches taller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
 
4,609 posts, read 3,924,259 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
interesting piece on how people lie on online dating. Men add about 2 inches on average.

The Big Lies People Tell In Online Dating « OkTrends

Interestingly, it says ALL people add 2 inches on average, including women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,116 posts, read 27,184,177 times
Reputation: 16267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I feel your pain. I wish that I broke the 6' barrier. But no, I am stuck 1/8" below and have been since 2010 .
Nobody will notice 1/8". Seriously. Not a single person out there.

You're obsessing about something that doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
 
392 posts, read 776,237 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
Easy for you to say. You're a woman, and height doesn't matter to most men unless you happen to be the rare woman who's over 6 feet tall. Try walking in a man's shoes. Or don't...and choose to be ignorant and dismiss the concerns of underprivileged groups. (Yes, short men can be considered an underprivileged group because they earn considerably less money than taller men. In contrast, being overweight no longer factors into one's earnings because being overweight is now normal.)

Also, the color of one's hair and the make of one's car are terrible comparisons. Those are choices that people make and that can be changed. One's weight is also changeable in many cases. Height is not.

I do know a few shorter men who act like Napoleon, if that's who you were getting at, but it's their personality type that makes them seem that way. It's just easy to think of them as Napoleon-like because they're short. I admit, I think of them that way, too, even though it's unfair of me—and you—to do so.
I don't want to pick apart your post, since anything I say would be considered "ignorant" - because I happen to be tall. Isn't it a discriminating statement as well? oh my God, height cannot be changed, what a catastrophe. But hey, it's your choice to be upset about it, and it's your life to live with that choice.
I would just suggest you check out a wikipedia page about Michel Petrucciani, famous jazz pianist, who was not only very short (between 3-4 ft), but also suffering from a genetic condition, that causes numerous fractures of bones and constant pain. Nonetheless, he had a terrific carrier, was quite a ladies man, and overall enjoyed life as much as he could, never complaining that "others have it easy".

Just read this please:
Michel Petrucciani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
 
392 posts, read 776,237 times
Reputation: 330

Michel Petrucciani - Caravan - YouTube

Here's a link to youtube clip from a concert. Check it out and be ashamed of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
94 posts, read 152,479 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
I don't want to pick apart your post, since anything I say would be considered "ignorant" - because I happen to be tall. Isn't it a discriminating statement as well? oh my God, height cannot be changed, what a catastrophe. But hey, it's your choice to be upset about it, and it's your life to live with that choice.
I would just suggest you check out a wikipedia page about Michel Petrucciani, famous jazz pianist, who was not only very short (between 3-4 ft), but also suffering from a genetic condition, that causes numerous fractures of bones and constant pain. Nonetheless, he had a terrific carrier, was quite a ladies man, and overall enjoyed life as much as he could, never complaining that "others have it easy".

Just read this please:
Michel Petrucciani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're citing an extraordinary, rare example to try to prove your point. That doesn't work. And I'm not sure what makes you think I'm so upset about height discrimination. I'm merely saying that it exists (and is perpetuated by women), that it should be acknowledged, and that shorter men suffer societal and economic consequences because of their height, whether they're upset about it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM
 
108 posts, read 122,596 times
Reputation: 106
I have never had to worry about this but I tell people that I am 6'4" or 6'5" depending on what shoes I am wearing. If I have my Nike Air Maxs on they seem to add at least another inch to my height. I feel a little more tall when I am wearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
3,079 posts, read 2,485,644 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
You're citing an extraordinary, rare example to try to prove your point. That doesn't work. And I'm not sure what makes you think I'm so upset about height discrimination. I'm merely saying that it exists (and is perpetuated by women), that it should be acknowledged, and that shorter men suffer societal and economic consequences because of their height, whether they're upset about it or not.
Not only that, but in the Wiki, the little man reportedly used alcohol and drugs. Makes me wonder if substance abuse correlates slightly with height. Gotta feel more socially confident, you know.

For what it's worth, I'm okay with someone rounding up by a half-inch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top