U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,403,559 times

Advertisements

I shop Lands End, Orvis, LL Bean, and once a year, I fly to Seattle, to shop at Nordstroms. I get a personal shopper, tell him/her my size, what I like, need, I show up, and there is a room ready for me, with twenty or so outfits to try on. I call a few days before.

Coldwater Creek.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM

3,429 posts, read 7,951,827 times
I agree with Ann Taylor (this time of year they have really good sales!)

Banana Republic

TJMAXX/Marshalls

J Crew

and I don't think anyone has mentioned LOFT yet. LOFT is an Ann Taylor brand but its targeted to younger women and have more younger looks and usually better prices. I'm 25 and I prefer the quality of Ann Taylor cardigans and seperates but Loft has decent tops, sweaters, and just a younger/hipper vibe. Their cardigans are horrible compared to Ann Taylor's.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,476,109 times
I'm taller (5'10") and thin so I love BCBG. The sleeves are much longer and the pants have more length. It's a bit pricey, but I've had some sweaters and pants from there since 2007/8 that I actually still wear and since the pieces are timeless, they don't look dated.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM

805 posts, read 1,381,112 times
I like Theory because their pieces are timeless and they seem to fit me quite well, where Ann Taylor seems to be intended for the buyer to have things tailored.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,796,954 times
Sierra Trading Post sometimes has deep discounts on high end brands. And even cheaper for the midrange stuff .

When I was doing city government stuff I bought mostly from LLBean sale department, because they had the biz-casual stuff that people I worked with wore. Fitting in.

And thrift stores, always . Guy friend of mine just got an Armani tuxedo jacket there!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 PM

192 posts, read 285,322 times
Default Dress Barn

If you have a Dress Barn, give them a look they have very professional and fashionable clothes. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM

64,622 posts, read 60,996,773 times
I order from JC Penney most of the time because they are one of the very few that carries Tall sizes. There's a catalog called Long Elegant Legs that has nice clothes, but they are pricier. I grt a few things from there, too.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,636,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
If you have a Dress Barn, give them a look they have very professional and fashionable clothes. Good luck.
Everytime I see Dress Barn I have to laugh---what marketing genius came up with this name? A women's clothing store that suggests that we are cows? It's enough to make me NOT want to shop there. But I digress...

On to my fave places for office wear: Marshalls, TJ Maxx, thrift & consignment stores, garage sales, Macy's, and I go to Dots for colorful scarves and belts (but not the clothes). Have fun shopping!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM

2,237 posts, read 3,094,182 times
I wear suits at work and my first destination is usually the clearance racks at Macy's suit department or other department stores like Nordstorm, Lord & Taylor, etc. They offer more varieties of good quality suits at clearance prices. I'm very picky about my suits and I like them lined for better fit. Banana Republic has well made business trousers at reasonabe price.

I don't like shopping at Ross for business attire because their selections are poorly made and not even lined. Once in a while I did see a good quality suit but it's more miss than hit for me so I stopped going.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM

13,769 posts, read 23,041,775 times
Plenty of good suggestions - I'd throw in Jones New York as well, when I worked for corporate America I got much of my office attire from there. Victoria's Secret has some nice business attire as well, I got my dress shirt bodysuits there, as well as some boots and pumps. I didn't like their dress slacks though, they were kinda cheap quality for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or