U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM

998 posts, read 823,516 times

Advertisements

My job makes me more high profile in the organization so I have to look presentable. When I was doing support behind a desk I didn't care how I looked.
But I don't know if it's just the job. I put a little in when I run errands on the weekends too. Sweats and tennis shoes have been replaced with jeans and flats. Still comfortable.
I wear my hair short and natural, so I do put in a little extra time on my face and accessories. I still don't wear that much makeup - maybe a tinted moisturizer, powder, liner on top lashes, mascara and lip gloss.
Funny, when I was younger, I used a lot of skin care products - about 6 steps? Now I clean, moisturize and use retin-a and sunscreen. That's it.
I do really put some thought into my outfit, whereas before, I just threw anything on, whatever was comfortable.
Shoes are tough. I can't walk around in heels all day, but higher heels look better with my dresses. Or because I'm short, I need to wear a heel with my pants otherwise they'll drag. I've found a happy medium with wedge heels. The heels aren't too high and they are still comfortable to wear all day.
I exercise 30 minutes a day - pilates or walking. I probably won't get anymore out of myself than that. I probably should lose about 5, maybe 10 pounds but I'm not too worried about that. I do eat healthy.
I put a little more time into my appearance, but I wouldn't say I work hard at it.

Last edited by jaynaydee; 01-06-2014 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM

13,029 posts, read 7,431,572 times
I eat less and exercise more than I did when I was younger.

Hair is shorter now, shoulder length, rather than previous mid-back length long hair. I have my grey hair dyed to my former "natural" color.

My makeup was much more elaborate when young, now I prefer the natural look: moisturizer, mascara and lip gloss only.

Fashion wise I used to like trendy fashion, lots of jewelry, and the highest heels I could totter on. I now prefer classic, tailored clothes, minimal jewelry, and only flats, baby.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,450,010 times
I see a few older ladies wearing way too much rouge or blush. Bright red spots and I wonder if they will ever tone it down. I don't wear much makeup now and I've always been conservative with clothing. My hair is very short and easy to take care of.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM

10,043 posts, read 8,912,662 times
Oh hell yes I work at it. Where do you want me to start?

At 48 I eat smarter and work out harder. Cardio and weight training.

My hair is past my shoulders, probably mid back.

Botox along with the best serum and moisturizer and I can justify (the expensive serum not moisturizer, moisturizers don't do anything but make your wrinkles soft).

Latisse for my lashes.

I color my hair and get keratin every couple of months.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM

37,232 posts, read 43,552,478 times
I really, really hope that when I grey (or, if family is a solid indication, go white), it happens evenly, so I don't have to color. It would just be so much easier to just let it be natural, if it's not stripey and patchy. My hair grows incredibly fast, and hair choices that require frequent maintenance are NOT my thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,921,359 times
Older? Meaning, older than 20? I'm 39 and I do a whole lot less than I used to in order to be presentable. I have long hair, rarely wear makeup, and I keep it simple. I wear clothes that fit well. Presentable as in professional? Fine. Presentable as in "hot"? Who cares? I've noticed that the guys who look like bloated walruses are the most vocal WRT to a woman's attractiveness. Who cares? At this stage of the game, my goal is not to be seen, it's to be heard.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:09 AM

6,595 posts, read 5,657,512 times
I'm 53, and the answer is DEFINTELY YES. I've maintained my weight and figure, but it gets harder and harder every year. Especially with the double whammy of menopause and hyperthyroidism (I was put on medication for it that slows down my metabolism). I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted - as much as I wanted - and burn it off with exercise. Not so anymore. I weight train and do bench step cardio daily, but I have to put in a lot more time at it than I used to. Eating less has been hard. I'm not really fond of vegetables and salads, and had to learn to eat more of them.

I have never allowed myself to go "grey" (in my case it is now mostly white) - where previously I had my ash blonde hair Highlighted, I now have it colored completely and THEN either highlighted or lowlighted (depending on the season) to look as natural as possible. I also had to re-vamp my skin care. I still wash my face with old faithful Noxzema skin cream, but now use nightcream and daycream that firm as well as minimize wrinkles. I also had to add under eye cream to the mix.

I had to learn to overcome the temptation to shop in the junior department like I used to. Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's right for you at 50!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-07-2014 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,047,337 times
[quote=Bayarea4;32892086]Hell to the yes I have to work harder! Now I have to color my gray every 4-6 weeks and be a lot more vigilant about taking care of my skin. I also have to be more careful about how I dress and wear less makeup in softer colors.

What I do now that I didn't do before (text deleted to save space)

Great post, Bayarea4! What you said about your hair/makeup/fashion choices sound very much like mine. When working, I wore outfits that required drycleaning. Now, instead I wear well-fitting jeans & pants plus Susan Graver liquid knit polyester/Spandex tops because they don't wrinkle, are easy care, are comfy, and they are flattering. Still have several cashmere sweaters because they are warm without adding bulk.

What prompted me to ask what other women are doing to "maintain" themselves was a recent visit to a doctor. It was my first visit to him and he asked, "Did you just come from work?" He was referring to my appearance--hair combed/styled, makeup on, and a nice sweater with scarf (he had no idea what I was wearing on the bottom half that day because he was a gynecologist!) He said "Most women come in here looking like they just crawled out of bed."

Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,047,337 times
[quote=blueherons;32906181]Oh hell yes I work at it. Where do you want me to start?

Botox along with the best serum and moisturizer and I can justify (the expensive serum not moisturizer, moisturizers don't do anything but make your wrinkles soft).

Serum? Maybe that's what I need! Have never tried one--which one do you recommend? Yes, it seems the moisturizers just make the wrinkles soft....

Thank you for mentioning your hair length. Many women go with shorter hair as they age but some of us really do look better with longer hair (my best length is shoulder length). Have tried wearing it shorter and, on me, it is not as flattering.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 1 day ago)

48,225 posts, read 38,737,557 times
[quote=Townandcountrygal;32911176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Oh hell yes I work at it. Where do you want me to start?

Serum? Maybe that's what I need! Have never tried one--which one do you recommend? Yes, it seems the moisturizers just make the wrinkles soft....

Thank you for mentioning your hair length. Many women go with shorter hair as they age but some of us really do look better with longer hair (my best length is shoulder length). Have tried wearing it shorter and, on me, it is not as flattering.
I use Clarins serum and I LOVE it. Chanel's is great too but it's about twice as expensive and I can't tell any difference between the results.

I use a tiny, tiny bit. A bottle lasts me about 5-6 months so it's really a negligible cost in the long run. I also use an all natural eye cream and BB cream for a moisturizer/light foundation (BB creams are very lightly tinted).

I tried to let my hair grow out twice in the past ten years. OMG I looked so dowdy I couldn't stand it. So this past year I went back to my short, spiky cut and it fits my face best. My husband is very patient with all my hair adventures but when I came in with it short and spiky again, he grinned and said, "Yay, I've got my wife back!"

I like longer hair on most other people but it just does not work on me. I have extremely thick hair so it's an all or nothing thing for me - either very short or very long. Anything in between looks like a helmet or a hedge bush thing on my head - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty