U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 3 days ago)

48,264 posts, read 38,765,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Beautiful Lady KathrynAragon~ .... Hear you on the skin, I'm thankful my mother rode my butt on not sunbathing & avoiding the tanning beds during my youth into adult life ... I wear a large hat always keep my chest and arms covered while in the sun and use a 60 or more sunscreen. Yes I might be fair skin but I have no real wrinkles yet...
Thank you, sister! And that large hat is a great idea - it has obviously kept your skin in amazing condition. My grandmother, who had gorgeous ivory skin with very few wrinkles, even at age 85, always wore a big hat when she was out in the sun. It looked really cute on her and kept her skin fabulous. I need to start doing that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM

2,880 posts, read 3,566,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you, sister! And that large hat is a great idea - it has obviously kept your skin in amazing condition. My grandmother, who had gorgeous ivory skin with very few wrinkles, even at age 85, always wore a big hat when she was out in the sun. It looked really cute on her and kept her skin fabulous. I need to start doing that...

This is me, this what I wear when working outside in my garden.. Yeah not real sexy lol

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 AM

8,874 posts, read 13,928,372 times
No. I used to spend a lot more time on hair and make-up than I do now and I certainly spend less money buying clothes and less time shopping. I change my hairstyle occasionally because I get bored with myself. I'm not happy about getting wrinkles but I've pretty much learned to accept myself as I am. I put on some make-up before I ever leave the house. Mascara, blush, and lipstick (because I'm very pale) are go-tos for me, but when I see people on TV selling concealers, primers, contourers, bronzers, finishing sprays, etc., I just laugh. I have better things to spend money on. When you reach a certain age, just being healthy is your most important beauty product.

As for clothes, I think I know what skirt lengths, silhouettes, colors, and pant styles look best on me. I'm not disinterested in fashion (I especially love beautiful fabrics and appreciate good tailoring) but the majority of designs out there are things I personally would never wear. Living in the Southwest and working out of my home, there's a limit to what I really need in my closet to clothe myself appropriately. And just like the make-up, I have better things to spend money on. I apply the frequency-of-wear rule to my clothes budget. Spend the most on things you will wear the most often (pants that fit, a good sweater, eyeglass frames) and economize on things you wear the least. I once spent what I thought of as an obscene amount of money on a black leather jacket, but it's a classic style and I've now been wearing it for more than 20 years. Cost per wearing? Far less than a penny at this point.

I think aging is harder the better-looking a person was in youth. Those of us who have a more ordinary appearance have less to lose when our looks go. A lot of beautiful people (men as well as women) tie up their value as a person with their appearance.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 AM

160 posts, read 260,861 times
No. The great thing about getting older is not giving a flying fart what other people think.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 AM

10,043 posts, read 8,918,427 times
Serums do all the repair work, they correct wrinkles and age spots, really make your skin look so much better. As long as you have a good serum you can use an inexpensive moisturizer.

I do like the Clarins double serum but have found Prevage by Elizabeth Arden to work so much better. It has two retinols where the Clarins has none.

I use Boots moisturizer I get at Target.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 3 days ago)

48,264 posts, read 38,765,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think aging is harder the better-looking a person was in youth. Those of us who have a more ordinary appearance have less to lose when our looks go. A lot of beautiful people (men as well as women) tie up their value as a person with their appearance.
You know what - I think this probably very true.

I have never been considered a beauty. As a kid, I looked more like the Campbell's Soup Kid rather than Shirley Temple. As a teen, I knew I had healthy, but not "pretty" looks. As a young woman, I kept myself in shape but I knew I still had a round, friendly but not glamorous face and I've never been slender - I've always been muscular and for lack of a better word "sturdy."

Suddenly, at about 45 years old, as I lost that layer of fat below the surface of my facial skin, my face FINALLY began to get some definition, and lo and behold - I have cheekbones! I'm not kidding when I say that I much prefer my face now over the face of my twenties and thirties.

The older we get, the more important health and vitality are to our looks. Good hair, good skin, bright eyes, muscle tone...as we age, those become more of a focus and more important than our actual features. They carry us farther, so to speak.

Don't all of us know several older women who enjoy exuberant health? Who dress well and carry themselves confidently, and whose eyes sparkle as they talk intelligently? Think about it - do we even NOTICE the size of their nose or whether or not the skin on their neck is firm, or whether they have a perfect waistline? I don't.

I remember talking with my dad one time about a particular woman who was in her late sixties. We were talking about how attractive and vivacious she was, and suddenly my dad said, "Look closely at her the next time you're around her - I just realized the other day that she's not actually a pretty woman at all, and I bet she wasn't pretty when she was young either, but for years whenever I think of her, I see her in my mind's eye as a very attractive woman." And he was right! She actually didn't have a pretty face, but you wouldn't even notice that because her hair and skin and teeth looked so healthy, and she was fit and wore classically stylish clothes and didn't ever seem "dowdy." She had a glowing personality.

I think she was probably more attractive as she got older than she was as a young woman. She's my role model!

Ladies, we can improve with age and that is really up to us - let's stay healthy, keep our minds active and engaged with others, take care of our skin, hair, and teeth, and NEVER dress like an old lady!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 AM

10,043 posts, read 8,918,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think it depends on how much of a priority you placed your own personal looks on your life.

I have a girlfriend who was absolutely drop dead gorgeous in her teens, twenties, and thirties. To the point of where she went to Hollywood and dated Rob Lowe and a lot of other celebs and rock stars. She's always had men support her.

Now in her late forties with her looks drying up (she parties very hard and doesn't take care of herself), the men are drying up to and she is taking it very hard.

Another absolutely drop dead gorgeous girlfriend went to college, got her PhD and a law degree and is the head legal eagle for Johns Hopkins and has never relied on her looks but her brain.

Which do you think is having an easier time growing older?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,164,846 times
I can't speak for all the woman in the world, but I do know this much, I recently retired, (young) after my military and LE careers, and recently took on a new gig (Security) at the Marriott International Resorts. The more mature woman that I work with and around are all beautiful, hard working and very smart and funny. A very lovely change in my life.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,164,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
This is me, this what I wear when working outside in my garden.. Yeah not real sexy lol

Wow, as the kids would say, **** hot. lol. Very lovely picture actually..

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

16,933 posts, read 13,696,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
No. The great thing about getting older is not giving a flying fart what other people think.
That's why we meet so many people with pajama's and uncombed hair in the stores. Yuck.

Yes, I do work harder now to look presentable. When I was younger, I put on make up for fun in the evenings. Now I have to do it every morning.

And I watch what I wear when I leave the house. I don't find it very appealing when a middle aged women walks around and looks like she just jumped out of bed. It is not cute anymore.

Also, you have to work out harder at the gym for less results as 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty