Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, it was the eighties. My hair was lacquered with some serious CFCs, and the makeup was much brighter. Now, it's just a light touch of color on the eyes and some tinted lip moisturizer. Hair goes into a ponytail or up on top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Older ladies: do work harder now to look presentable? What are you doing now hair, makeup, and fashion wise that you didn't when younger?
Hell to the yes I have to work harder! Now I have to color my gray every 4-6 weeks and be a lot more vigilant about taking care of my skin. I also have to be more careful about how I dress and wear less makeup in softer colors.

What I do now that I didn't do before
Cosmetics and Hair:
Shoulder-length side-parted bob (no extremely short pixie cuts or long hair for me)
More and better-quality moisturizers
Very light, moisturizing foundation applied sparingly
No face powder (it emphasizes wrinkles)
Light eye makeup (no heavy or dark shadow, a soft eyeliner pencil on top lid only, one coat of mascara (no spiky lashes)
More careful brow shaping and a neutral pencil to fill in bare spots
Good quality sheer moisturizing lipstick or lip gloss (I like the Sugar products sold at Sephora)
No lip liner
Gentle facial soap without harsh ingredients that dry skin
Conditioner after shampoo (I didn't use to need it)
Regular facial masks and/or mild scrubs
Cuticle and nail moisturizing at least once a day (I use Bag Balm or Neem Oil)

Fashion:
Easy care garments that are versatile and travel well. Knit fabrics with Spandex rock!
No high heels or pointy toed shoes
No severely tailored suits or jackets
Nothing that's too matchy-matchy
Comfortable shoes that look streamlined, not clunky (I love Merrell's Jungle Mocs and Clarks)
Skirts at knee length or below
No loud patterns, rhinestones, appliques, beads or shiny fabrics
Scarves tied various ways can make a simple outfit pop while calling attention to the face
Body-skimming, stretchy skirts and slacks that flatter the older figure but are not too tight
Relaxed waistbands
Jeans must be dark denim, fit very well without binding and have straight legs or a very slight flare and no flamboyant or overly-large back pocket designs, which emphasize the rear end. I switched from Levi's to Not Your Daughter's Jeans.
Loose shirts and tunics that don't cling, but well-fitting -- not sloppy or baggy-looking
Leotards that are a plain neutral color or match my skirt or slacks. (Pantyhose are supposed to be too matronly these days, though I don't agree)
Wide brimmed hats for sun protection
Sleeveless vests in various colors to dress up my casual outfits
A few pieces of good jewelry are better than a lot of costume jewelry. Less is more.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 01-05-2014 at 11:37 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I turn 52 in a few days...I think...it's harder to keep up with exactly how old I am! LOL

Anyway, I do some things differently, but I wouldn't say it's HARDER to make myself presentable. The routine is just different.

When I was in my thirties, I spent a lot more time on my hair. Of course, that was the era of BIG HAIR and I lived in Texas so I had to have REALLY big hair! Now my hair is short and sort of spiky and I love it that way. It takes me five minutes in the morning. I can get ready a lot faster now than I did in my thirties!

I spend more time and money pampering the skin on my face and neck and around my eyes. I am proud to say - I HAVE NO WRINKLES YET, which I would like to take credit for, but I think genetics plays a huge part in this anomaly. In fact, this was weird - I actually had someone ask me the other day "what work I had had done." NO WORK, BABY. Just lots and lots of good moisturizers over the years, good genetics, and no sun worshiping.

Oh, and I eat a very good, natural diet. And - I'm not too skinny, in fact, I'm a little fluffy (not much - and I haven't gained weight in decades, in fact I weigh what I weighed when I turned 30 now that I think of it - but I wasn't skinny then either - LOL!) I think a little padding of fat under the skin on one's face adds youthfulness at my age. I also make sure I get at least 6 hours of sleep a night. In my younger years, I didn't allow myself enough good sleep. I also don't party like a wild woman like I used to!

That's not to say I don't look older, because our skin thins somewhat as we age, and gravity does take its' toll, so of course I don't look thirty any more. But I will probably never look gaunt. I do, however, really like the definition in my face that aging has brought. I had such a round, baby face for so many years.

I wear moisturizer, a very light touch of cream blush, a bit of powder, subtle eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. Less is more.

I do color my hair, but I've been coloring it since it went gray in my thirties (a family trait). I have to color it about every 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast it grows. I do it myself - it's easy.

My clothing style has changed because after menopause, I did add a few inches around my waistline (which I don't like, but oh well, so what). I have always had a love of vintage clothing, and have always mixed in vintage jewelry, scarves, hats, purses into my wardrobe. But now I don't do fitted jackets or short tops or things with wide belts. I am tall and I have long legs. I love long jackets or sweaters with leggings and fabulous boots, with a long scarf and sometimes topped off with a beret. I am not into big earrings but I do love chunky bracelets. I am a shoe fanatic and I adore clogs and boots and platform shoes and wear them as often as possible! I am very particular about my toenails - the feet must be cute whether they are enclosed or not!

I like skinny jeans - with a long top. I like jackets that aren't fitted around the waist. I like solid colors a lot, because I enjoy accessorizing with scarves, statement necklaces, jackets, or sometimes vintage brooches (I have a big collection of those). I rarely wear dresses or skirts. I am pretty casual - but I like to pump up a very casual outfit of jeans and boots with some sort of flair. I have dark hair and dark eyes so I love wearing black, garnet red, dark browns and eggplant purples and deep olives, cobalt blues - very rich colors.

I keep active - I love to powerwalk and try to work in several 3 mile walks a week at a very fast pace. I also enjoy yoga but I need to go more regularly.

If I'd known my fifties would be this much fun, I would never have worried about hitting the big 5-0!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Mid 40's. Work out doing activities I enjoy- yoga, barre class, Zumba...
Shoulder length hair that needs better quality hair products now that pregnancies and peri menopause is messing with me. I switched makeup brands to ones that cater to older skin so I use Bobbi Brown and Chanel mostly. Shiseido moisturizer is helping with normal skin which used to be combo. I love Chanel glossimer. Keep my eyebrows shaped and get lip waxed. I am not faithful to one specific serum. I may splurge on Chanel Hydra Eye cream but don't know yet- very spendy. I need moisture around my eyes though I don't have crow's feet or wrinkles but a little sagging. So far no injectable. Maybe in my 50's. Who knows!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:31 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
"presentable" It bugs me when some people think they are other peoples audience and judges to order other people should please them by their looks

Anyway, I focus to Feel good

Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
My routine has changed and it does take a little more time these days. I'm 56 next week. I started going gray in my late 20s and have been coloring my hair since, and over the decades have gone lighter and lighter. I was a medium ashy brown in my 20s, and now I'm a very salty S&P underneath the very pale blond L'Oreal. I've amped up the moisturizers I use (currently very spendy Lifeline eye cream and night serum, but I love the results) and in the past couple of months I've finally started using a very small amount of foundation to even out my skin tone, but I may drop that again b/c my skin is looking better -- I think the excesses of the holiday season were showing on my face! I have few wrinkles, thanks to genetics and staying out of the sun. My makeup colors are less bright/harsh, but I'm also more careful with application of what I do wear. Plus, I've re-dedicated myself to regular exercise after years of sometimes on, sometimes off. It takes a while, but that's starting to show results as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I see some are taking offense to the word "presentable". I am not because I think I get the gist of the question.

Anyway, I don't know if I work any "harder" than I ever did to look good to MYSELF, the only person I really do this all for. It makes me feel good to always look as good as I think I possibly can. Anyway, now that I am in my 60s, I do color my hair (I did when I was younger also). I tried going all gray, looked HORRIBLE and went back to my natural dark brown. Makeup is less than I used to wear, I use eye and brow pencil, mascara and tinted lip gloss - as others have said, less is more. Powder and/or foundation makes me look older and my skin actually looks better without. I might use a touch of gel blush on occasion, but I keep a light base tan and my skin looks pretty good. I use a lot of oils on my face and body - argon oil on my face, sweet almond and coconut on my body.

I live in Florida, clothing is simple, either sundresses or capri pants and sandals. Like KathrynAragon, I am tall with long legs, and also have dark hair and eyes so I enjoy wearing bright rich colors. I keep my hair just past my shoulders and wear it in a ponytail or up a lot. My hair is straight, but wearing it up puts curl in it and I curl my bangs also, soft waves are much more flattering to my face now. I eat a healthy diet, lots of water and ride my bike every day, as well as a little strength training a few days a week.

So, all in all, I don't really work "harder", just do what it takes to be healthy, and try to at least look decent when I go anywhere even to the store. I am Latina, and most Latinas do like to try to look nice for the world (a quote from Sofia Vergara, with which I tend to agree)

Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,597 times
Define older--hahaha! Well, I am still in my 40's--feel young, but I am realistic to know that most people consider late 40s to be "older ladies." Whatever! When I was in my 20s and 30s I spent a lot more time styling my hair, buying new clothes & shoes all the time, and getting my nails done. As I age, my hair is no longer such a focus, I almost never shop for new clothes (thrift stores, yes), and my nails are now all natural (the salon acrylic nails totally ruined my natural nails and it took 5+ years to get them normal looking again!). Now, my shoulderblade length hair is all one length, and either left naturally or slicked back and tied back very low on my nape in a chignon style. I have always tried to look "presentable" (as in not looking like I just crawled out of bed). I still look presentable, and enjoy the less-hassle, less-time consuming routine, I must say!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Define older--hahaha! Well, I am still in my 40's--feel young, but I am realistic to know that most people consider late 40s to be "older ladies." Whatever! When I was in my 20s and 30s I spent a lot more time styling my hair, buying new clothes & shoes all the time, and getting my nails done. As I age, my hair is no longer such a focus, I almost never shop for new clothes (thrift stores, yes), and my nails are now all natural (the salon acrylic nails totally ruined my natural nails and it took 5+ years to get them normal looking again!). Now, my shoulderblade length hair is all one length, and either left naturally or slicked back and tied back very low on my nape in a chignon style. I have always tried to look "presentable" (as in not looking like I just crawled out of bed). I still look presentable, and enjoy the less-hassle, less-time consuming routine, I must say!
Right on. Especially about the nails - it took me years to recover from dressing for corporate America! My routine is so much simpler now.

I also agree about the thrift shops, resale shops, etc. I love finding a bargain!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM

509 posts, read 906,993 times
I'm in my 40s, and I wouldn't say it takes longer to get ready to face the world, it's just that the results are not the same. You do what you can. We're lucky to get older, not everyone is afforded the luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty