U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,043,747 times

Advertisements

Older ladies: do work harder now to look presentable? What are you doing now hair, makeup, and fashion wise that you didn't when younger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,726,989 times
I'll be 56 next month and yes!

I went gray a couple of years ago and make sure my hair is well-cut and I use good products to keep it silvery and smooth.
I've cut back on carbs and sugary/junk food. I haven't gained an ounce and I plan to keep it that way.
I make sure I dress age-appropriately and when I wear makeup it's understated. (I don't wear make up every day though.)
Stay active and maintain a sense of fun!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,458,780 times
I do less as I wear my hair in an easy style instead of curling it. I gave up most make-up as it looks harsh on an older woman. I dress about the same but adjusted for age, I.e., longer shirts and looser fitting slacks.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,540,519 times
Well, I don't work hard but I used to do absolutely zero and now I do a little bit .

I wear a little makeup, which I didn't used to do. Lipstick even at home, and subtle eyeshadow when I exit the building. Eyeliner if I don't forget. Blush about twice a year.

I pay a little more attention to what I wear -- again, not when I am at home.

My hair is the same, although longer.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,562,263 times
I don't wear a lot makeup never have, just blush, lip gloss , eyelashes curler, never used foundation ....When it comes my hair I have learned wearing it in it's natural state works best, straight and good cut means easy care... Otherwise I still workout, eat organics..I do take care in what I wear when I leave the house...

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM

339 posts, read 861,908 times
I started coloring my hair when it became too gray, and I keep it shoulder length. I prefer soft waves or curls to flat-ironed hair, which I found to be too harsh on my hair and looks. I use hair products that protect from heat and moisturize because my hair has gotten dryer as I've aged. The scalp is still oily, so I need to wash daily, but the rest is dryer than when I was younger.

I wear less blush, but more shadow, lipstick, and brow liner. I've learned blush is best with a light touch. Wish I'd known that sooner. I invested in several types of makeup brushes, and watched lots of youtube videos to learn how to apply makeup better.

I make more money than when I was younger, so I can buy better clothes, shoes, jewelry, and anything else to help me feel more confident.

My diet is more healthy and much less junk food, and I drink more fluids. I'm more concerned what goes into my body since I want to be healthy as long as possible. I also exercise about 90 minutes three times weekly (cardio, weights, yoga) to keep myself strong and flexible. Exercise may not help me live longer, but it will help me live better.

I take much better care of myself than I did even a few years ago. I think it's because I have more time and money than when I was raising my child, who's now an adult living on her own. I want to be an active grandmother some day, so I need to take care of myself now. Even though my child is an adult, she still needs me. So, I have to be healthy and happy for those who count on me.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM

35,107 posts, read 41,702,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Older ladies: do work harder now to look presentable? What are you doing now hair, makeup, and fashion wise that you didn't when younger?

I am always presentable to myself whether anyone thinks I am or not, I don't wear makeup and I don't follow "fashion trends" and I could care less what anyone else thinks of how I look.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 PM

879 posts, read 868,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post

Define "presentable"?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 PM

13,332 posts, read 15,875,357 times
No, I do the same as I always did. I'm older. People are going to have to deal with it.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 PM

3,058 posts, read 6,742,812 times
My mom thank goodness is less focused on her appearance. When I was growing up she was obsessed by her appearance and spent way too much time on it. She still is focused on her looks more then the normal person but at least better.
In my opinion regardless of age taking care of yourself and having balance in life is important. Either extreme where you let yourself go or obsessed is not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty