U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM

34,609 posts, read 43,757,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Maybe for you. For me catching my favorite locomotive hauling my loved train is satisfying to see. I still yearn to see AEM 7 # 945 (Nicknamed it frosty ) hauling the Vermonter live up front. Every locomotive has a melodious and unique horn combination, just like every girl has a sweetening, yet different voice while speaking with you.

[B]I am trying to see if there exists a young woman who loves trains this much[/B].
Some do but not the same kind that you like.

Listen, question. With your..........issues....... with colder weather where did you grow up? Anywhere in the NE or into the Midwest you shouldn't be having trouble figuring out what to wear.

If you're walking you might want to skip jeans and have something in wool. Coats are really easy today. I just got a new Columbia one from Cabela's that is basically a very thin but warm ski jacket, I think it's called Omni-Tech or something similar. That is replacing a GuideGear parka from the same vendor that is Thinsulate based.

Here's what I would have worn today if I'd been goose hunting (high predicted at 16, low was 8 at 5AM:
4 in 1 Thinsulate parka
Thinsulate pants
Flannel/chamois shirt
polypropylene long underwear
polypropylene Expedition socks
Thinsulate boots (800 gram)
Thinsulate gloves (40 gram)
I probably would have put small chemical warmers in the boots.

The above would have kept me warm most of the day not moving around much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Listen, question. With your..........issues....... with colder weather where did you grow up?.
Coastal South India in the city of Chennai at 13.5 N. Immigrated here 3 years ago for college and lived near a busy train station in Chennai as a child. Trains have been my love since I was 2 years old. I am OK with all kinds of trains. Fast, slow, passenger, freight, local, and Transcontinental. You name it and I have seen it .

Here is our year round climate:

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai#Climate"]Chennai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Thanks a lot for your clothing advice. I appreciate it a lot.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM

34,609 posts, read 43,757,428 times
Quote:
Coastal South India in the city of Chennai at 13.5 N. Immigrated here 3 years ago for college and lived near a busy train station in Chennai as a child. Trains have been my love since I was 2 years old. I am OK with all kinds of trains. Fast, slow, passenger, freight, local, and Transcontinental. You name it and I have seen it .

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai#Climate"]Chennai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Ok, so tropical or close to it.

I'd skip the short sleeve shirts in this weather, get a heavier long sleeved one, maybe flannel or chamois (be aware they can be somewhat pricey).

Good wool or polypro socks.

Cotton is really too thin (jeans) to stand up to wind and if it gets wet it will steal heat from you like nobody's business. Some people call cotton clothes, especially jeans, blue killers. You can get jeans with a lining, my oldest son works outdoors quite a bit and swears by them.

As someone mentioned layering is important, something that wicks moisture away from your body. Again, cotton just gets wet and stays that way.

I realize, as I'm being superior here, that I grew up in a colder climate and likely spend more time outdoors than you do so please excuse the tone.

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/_/N-1102391?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080"]Men's Outerwear - Men's Down Jackets & Winter Coats f : Cabela's[/URL]

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/mens-base-layers/_/N-1100900/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104495580?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080"]Base Layer Clothing & Thermal Underwear : Cabela's[/URL]

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/mens-casual-gloves/_/N-1102402/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105547680?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080"]Men's Gloves : Cabela's[/URL]

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/mens-casual-shirts/_/N-1100831/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104263380?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080"]Men's Flannel Shirts, Men's Flannel Shirt, Men's Cham : Cabela's[/URL]

I just posted these to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,751,621 times
Quote:
Today, I am back to my standard bland winter attire (T shirt (or) polo, wool sweater, Jeans, [B]snowshoes,[/B] and a Winter coat).
Surely not snowshoes....

[URL="http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Snowshoes/Snowshoes?s_kwcid=sc89Pazol_dc|pcrid|35077612445|p kw|snowshoes|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CJD0xoOZ7bsCF bIDOgodBhEA-w"]http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Snowshoes/Snowshoes?s_kwcid=sc89Pazol_dc|pcrid|35077612445|p kw|snowshoes|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CJD0xoOZ7bsCF bIDOgodBhEA-w[/URL]

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Surely not snowshoes....

[URL="http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google_Snowshoes/Snowshoes?s_kwcid=sc89Pazol_dc|pcrid|35077612445|p kw|snowshoes|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=CJD0xoOZ7bsCF bIDOgodBhEA-w"]Snowshoes at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase[/URL]
I should have mentioned work boots like the one here. I usually wear them when its snowy or very cold outside:

[URL="http://www.zappos.com/carhartt-6-inch-work-flex-composite-toe-work-boot"]Carhartt 6-Inch Work-Flex[/URL]

Old 01-07-2014, 07:22 PM

293 posts, read 388,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
[B]Some do but not the same kind that you like.[/B]

Listen, question. With your..........issues....... with colder weather where did you grow up? Anywhere in the NE or into the Midwest you shouldn't be having trouble figuring out what to wear.

If you're walking you might want to skip jeans and have something in wool. Coats are really easy today. I just got a new Columbia one from Cabela's that is basically a very thin but warm ski jacket, I think it's called Omni-Tech or something similar. That is replacing a GuideGear parka from the same vendor that is Thinsulate based.

Here's what I would have worn today if I'd been goose hunting (high predicted at 16, low was 8 at 5AM:
4 in 1 Thinsulate parka
Thinsulate pants
Flannel/chamois shirt
polypropylene long underwear
polypropylene Expedition socks
Thinsulate boots (800 gram)
Thinsulate gloves (40 gram)
I probably would have put small chemical warmers in the boots.

The above would have kept me warm most of the day not moving around much.
I think this sailed over Adi's head like an Eli Manning pass.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
I think this sailed over Adi's head like an Eli Manning pass.
And the pass gets intercepted by Jerod Mayo. Next drive, 6/6 75 yard drive by Brady for the game winning Touchdown. Clutch Recapture just the way I like it .

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,262,611 times
Quote:
Coastal South India in the city of Chennai at 13.5 N. [B]Immigrated here 3 years ago for college [/B]and lived near a busy train station in Chennai as a child. Trains have been my love since I was 2 years old. I am OK with all kinds of trains. Fast, slow, passenger, freight, local, and Transcontinental. You name it and I have seen it .

OK, I didn't realize you'd only lived in the U.S. three years. I apologize for my earlier snarkiness.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM

25,091 posts, read 31,273,563 times
hey adi, would you get offended if i called you a slumdog? i remember once i called someone that on here joking around since i heard that term was used in some movie and the guy seemed really bothered by it.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
hey adi, would you get offended if i called you a slumdog? i remember once i called someone that on here joking around since i heard that term was used in some movie and the guy seemed really bothered by it.
Not at all, but I never lived in a slum. As shocking as it may sound, there are a couple good things one can learn from slum life in India. Crisis management with very little resources available is one very useful skill. The longer you live in a place, the more you will come to appreciate the positive aspects of your surroundings.

Many people in Indian slums are not poor by choice, they were pushed there by the stupid caste system and are prevented from moving up the ladder. Corruption in Educational institutions (which rarely occurs in the US) is the main reason I moved to the US for college. Caste system has its hand in college fees payments at Indian Universities and Wreaks havoc. How Primitive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty