U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,522,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am a firm believer in high-low dressing and I can shop anywhere while being able to pull together a great, stylish look. I get complimented on my style almost daily so this formula works for me.
I agree, the right stuff can be found anywhere.

**I think I am more colorful than you. I go for bright preppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,993,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I am 50 and am pretty brand loyal
Jeans from Levi's, J Brand, Ralph Lauren and Hudson
Outerwear from Helly Hansen, LL Bean, Ralph Lauren
Yoga pants from Ralph Lauren
Cashmere sweaters/ cardigans from Ralph Lauren
Bras from Maidenform
Socks from Ralph Lauren
Yoga/ work out tanks/ tops from Rue 21
Cords from Ralph Lauren
Loungewear from Ralph Lauren
Shoes from Ralph Lauren, Coach, Jack Rogers, Lucchesse, Frye
Hate Uggs
Don't do gym, sneakers by Sketchers, Ralph Lauren, Reebok
Scarves from Ralph Lauren
Ray bans from Ebay
Coach from outlets
Makeup and skin care from Lancome
Ok, you convinced me on Ralph Lauren! I saw a RL linen blouse/tunic at Macy's this last summer. It was on sale and I keep thinking every now and then, I should have bought that top. I will def. check that section of Macy's more often. Sounds like you have good luck with that brand. Actually, come to think of it, I do have a beautiful, thick, turtleneck cashmere sweater from RL that I bought at Loemann's in S.F. about 15 years ago and wore it twice a week for several years. I want a pair of Frye boots too but hard to decide which ones.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,451,925 times
Sag Harbor...LOL...

Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,946,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Oooooh, it's Chanel! Well la de effin' da.

I'd rather wear chez Wally World myself, but to each her own, I suppose.
BA HA Dude* I love you!

*I know you are technically not a dude

Last edited by DR2012; 01-11-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,946,585 times
I do see the point on the mall - all that abercrombie and hollister stuff.
I do appreciate the Macy's and Saks, but some of us are on a budget.

I do like Kohl's, but some of the stuff wears out so quick. Old Navy? I used to like, but their quality has really gone down hill in recent years. And do they sell anything but skinny jeans anymore? Leggings? Jeggings? Not all of us want our jeans painted on and our camel toes showing. Blargh.

And 35 is middle age now? Some of us expect to live longer than 70. Yikes! I thought middle age was 40's. Oh well.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:09 PM

17,987 posts, read 19,548,536 times
If some people would spend less time being snarky and more time actually taking a morsel of advice from the savvy shoppers then perhaps they wouldn't waste money on poor quality clothing and complaining about mall stores.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 PM

22,633 posts, read 12,662,894 times
Two words:

Bergdorf Goodman

'Nuff said.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,393,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
BA HA Dude* I love you!

*I know you are technically not a dude
I love you, too, babe! :-)

OK, here's my 2 cents worth on the topic of this thread.. I'm a fit 57, I only wear casual clothes. Jeans & sweaters, t-shirts, denim skirts, shorts, loose fitting tank tops in summer.

I've done a lot of online/catalog shopping because I get fed up with the upselling and nagging to sign up for store credit cards that you have to endure shopping locally.

I used to like J. Jill, but as someone else mentioned, they've gotten kind of frumpy. And I've had some quality issues, too, so I only consider their stuff if it's marked way down.

Eddie Bauer: another crapshoot as far as quality goes. I ordered 2 thermal henleys in 2 different colors, one pilled, one didn't. I did get some decent quality jeans (meaning that the denim fabric was a good looking blue, not that dirty looking dark wash that's popular now) there recently, as well as several nice tank tops last summer.

The Sahalie catalog is interesting. I've gotten several fairly nice sweaters and shirts from them. And an embroidered, peasant style t shirt that's fun (I still miss the 70s.)

The Sundance catalog for jewelry and the occasional t-shirt. They've got a funky casual style that I love.

Northstyle: I've gotten a couple of nice jackets, although one was described as a jacket and is really shirt-weight fabric. But generally, I find their styles too old ladyish.

Levis.com and Lee.com: I've managed to order good fitting jeans from both, although I didn't like the look of the denim fabric of the Levis 505s.

Got a t-shirt that I love from the Boden catalog last summer, although their style is generally too frilly for me.

Chicos's, Coldwater Creek and White House/Black Market just don't seem to be my style.

I often find clothing that I love at that type of little boutique or women's clothing store that you find in touristy areas. I got several Wind River sweaters in that type of place last fall that I love.

I took a walk around the local mall last week. Sears, JC Penney, Belk and Dillards. Same sh*t, different store. Maybe for work or professional clothing you could find something, but for jeans and casual stuff I saw absolutely nothing that I liked and everything looked cheap.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,870,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I love you, too, babe! :-)

Eddie Bauer: another crapshoot as far as quality goes. I ordered 2 thermal henleys in 2 different colors, one pilled, one didn't. I did get some decent quality jeans (meaning that the denim fabric was a good looking blue, not that dirty looking dark wash that's popular now) there recently, as well as several nice tank tops last summer.

The Sahalie catalog is interesting. I've gotten several fairly nice sweaters and shirts from them. And an embroidered, peasant style t shirt that's fun (I still miss the 70s.)

The Sundance catalog for jewelry and the occasional t-shirt. They've got a funky casual style that I love.
I shop at these places, too (although I've kind of given up on Eddie). If you like Eddie Bauer and Sahalie, then you should check out Titlenine.com. It's similar to Sahalie, but a little less hippie and more sporty.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,393,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I shop at these places, too (although I've kind of given up on Eddie). If you like Eddie Bauer and Sahalie, then you should check out Titlenine.com. It's similar to Sahalie, but a little less hippie and more sporty.
Yes, I get the Title 9 catalog. And Athleta. Prefer Athleta for their swimsuits and boardshorts that stay on in the surf. Other than that, I prefer the more hippie, less sporty styles from Sahalie. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or