U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM
 
2,540 posts, read 3,579,759 times
Reputation: 5573

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I'm assuming you want people who at least like you, if not love you, in your life? So if everyone who loves you thinks that you're beautiful, then it stands to reason that as other people fall in love with you, they too, will feel the same. So why would you even care what someone who doesn't even know you, let alone like you, thinks? You should be thinking about how to build higher confidence than wondering what strangers think of you. It's not a simple curiosity - people who are confident, really don't care what other people who don't even know them think.
Again, it's easy to say, and I know in an ideal world you're not supposed to care what anyone thinks, but it's just not feasible if you've struggled with self-esteem issues all your life. Appearance is very important to me on an everyday basis, I FEEL so much better and more confident when I know I look the best I can - in shape, makeup, hair, clothes, etc. I'm just never going to be one of those people who can walk out in a potato sack and not give a damn what anyone thinks. And yes, pathetic as it is, a compliment from a total stranger (who has no reason to be biased or spare my feelings) is a great confidence boost. And a negative opinion, with some specific detail, would help me in knowing what I should focus on correcting, whether through makeup, clothes, exercise, etc.
I've gone through my tweens and teens feeling ugly; when other girls were dating, at a time when you go from a girl to a young woman, I was the ignored wallflower. I remember comparing myself to other girls and feeling ugly starting in first grade. That's a lot of years of negative self-perception that cannot be easily erased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: SLC, UT
1,571 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Reputation: 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Again, it's easy to say, and I know in an ideal world you're not supposed to care what anyone thinks, but it's just not feasible if you've struggled with self-esteem issues all your life. Appearance is very important to me on an everyday basis, I FEEL so much better and more confident when I know I look the best I can - in shape, makeup, hair, clothes, etc. I'm just never going to be one of those people who can walk out in a potato sack and not give a damn what anyone thinks. And yes, pathetic as it is, a compliment from a total stranger (who has no reason to be biased or spare my feelings) is a great confidence boost. And a negative opinion, with some specific detail, would help me in knowing what I should focus on correcting, whether through makeup, clothes, exercise, etc.
I've gone through my tweens and teens feeling ugly; when other girls were dating, at a time when you go from a girl to a young woman, I was the ignored wallflower. I remember comparing myself to other girls and feeling ugly starting in first grade. That's a lot of years of negative self-perception that cannot be easily erased.
No it wouldn't, unless you only care about impressing that one person. Because, again, looks are SUBJECTIVE. I don't think you get it. Someone could tell you that you need to change your hair, and another person could think that your hair is gorgeous and that you shouldn't touch it.

Anyhow, you could rationalize all day why you should care so much about a stranger's opinion, and how it's perfectly fine, and how it would help, and blah blah blah. But what it comes down to, and what it will ALWAYS come down to, is that you have low self-esteem, and therefore, you will always be wanting compliments and comments on your looks (unless, of course, you decide to seek some help and focus on improving your confidence rather than looks). I have a hunch that even if 100 people rated you a 10 and only one person rated you a 3, you'd be asking that one person how they think you should "improve."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM
 
Location: NJ
25,105 posts, read 31,302,186 times
Reputation: 17104
looks aren't soooooo subjective. i know if you are ugly or not. as much as people who are ugly or dress crappy want to pretend that people that care about other's opinions on their looks have some kind of emotional issue, that's a load of crap. i bet those who are so pushy about not caring about other people's opinions have greater issues with their self image than the people asking for an opinion regarding their looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM
 
Location: FL
1,400 posts, read 1,297,417 times
Reputation: 2002
It's a ballsy move IMO and a lot of people are resentful because they don't have the guts to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 PM
 
6,473 posts, read 10,626,584 times
Reputation: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would like to honestly know why all the "Rate my looks" threads are hated on this forum. What infuriates you about these threads. I apologize for being stupid and posting a couple of these threads myself.

But why is there extreme anger towards people asking on the internet how they look. Why is Reassurance regarded as a crime which deserves the electric chair on this forum. How, in any way, does it claim that one has low confidence and is insecure. Finally, Why do people assume the most ridiculous things about a persons personality when they post a "rate my looks" thread.

Be honest with all of your responses. I want to know.
Instead of asking people to rate YOUR looks on the INTERNET, you should ask people to rate "this" person's looks instead. Just pretend the person isn't you and then it won't be a problem and you'll also get truthful answers to your question.

I would never do something like this, because I don't want to know what a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet think about my looks and it's not that serious. I have mirrors around my home that don't lie to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,563,078 times
Reputation: 6331
Again, Pardon me for creating such threads earlier. I am Leaving this forum once and for all. Just never understand certain ridiculous posters here always posting negativity and nothing else on any comment I make. This place is unfit for me, and my status tells you the decision I have made as a result. Good bye, once and for all. I'm outta here, and will NEVER EVER return, got it. Hope everyone else is happy . My time on the fashion forum is done for. Catch me elsewhere if you can.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-15-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Folsom
5,086 posts, read 7,996,078 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Again, Pardon me for creating such threads earlier. I am Leaving this forum once and for all. Just never understand certain ridiculous posters here always posting negativity and nothing else on any comment I make. This place is unfit for me, and my status tells you the decision I have made as a result. Good bye, once and for all. I'm outta here, and will NEVER EVER return, got it. Hope everyone else is happy . My time on the fashion forum is done for. Catch me elsewhere if you can.
Send a PM to a mod, or click the red triangle (report post) icon in the upper right corner, and ask a mod to close this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM
 
3,669 posts, read 6,040,661 times
Reputation: 1789
It takes a degree of confidence to simply offer a rating to another asking for it instead of joining with others who share a mob mentality whose only wish is to tear others down to boost their own self confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM
 
920 posts, read 1,770,268 times
Reputation: 870
To reply to the original poster, I think that people post "rate my looks" forums in order to constantly feed their ego, tell them that they are....in essence, "worth it" (ala "L'Oreal", hahaha)--and I also think that regardless of how beautiful a person is perceived to be by others, that the person who would constantly do this has low self-esteem that needs to constantly be fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,563,078 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Send a PM to a mod, or click the red triangle (report post) icon in the upper right corner, and ask a mod to close this thread.
Meh, I'll just dance to dabbangkutthu (south indian ghetto music) in my backyard. Its what cheers me up, and is a wonderful exercise. Etthu vidu machi (means show me what you got buddy in my native language) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top