U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM

19,116 posts, read 27,212,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Again, Pardon me for creating such threads earlier. I am Leaving this forum once and for all. Just never understand certain ridiculous posters here always posting negativity and nothing else on any comment I make. This place is unfit for me, and my status tells you the decision I have made as a result. Good bye, once and for all. I'm outta here, and will NEVER EVER return, got it. Hope everyone else is happy . My time on the fashion forum is done for. Catch me elsewhere if you can.

You create your own drama.

Just an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM

25,098 posts, read 31,297,755 times
Quote:
Again, Pardon me for creating such threads earlier. I am Leaving this forum once and for all. Just never understand certain ridiculous posters here always posting negativity and nothing else on any comment I make. This place is unfit for me, and my status tells you the decision I have made as a result. Good bye, once and for all. I'm outta here, and will NEVER EVER return, got it. Hope everyone else is happy . My time on the fashion forum is done for. Catch me elsewhere if you can.
1. you are nuts
2. looks like you posted here about 9 hours after you claimed you would never be back.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM

12,385 posts, read 20,988,461 times
I'm on the financial boards lots more than I am here. The Rate My Looks posts are as annoying as the posts where someone says they make a ton of money and can't possibly save anything -- or the other off putting I Make Minimum Wage and Yet I Am A Millionaire Because I Save 95% of My Income.

It's all crap.

Adi -- people in life lie. Some people lie about everything. Just went to a favorite restaurant yesterday and asked about a popular waitress who left for an operation.... and found out everything she said was a lie. For no reason, but just to do it.

I worked with a woman who did the same thing, but at least she was embezzling.

I've known several online ex-"friends" who also lie and scam and "catfish" .... for what? They only get whatever satisfaction they get -- which is sadder than anything. That's so prevalent I now just assume everyone online is lying.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,883,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that's just what ugly people say. there definitely are ugly people out there, lots of them.
Show me ONE.

And then prove that every blind person in the world will find that person ugly.

If you think that it's sad or weird that someone could be so physically unusual-looking that only a blind person would be able to find that person beautiful because said person wouldn't know what physical beauty is, think about how many "physically normal" (or, even worse, "physically beautiful") people would not want to be with a blind person due to the inherent inconveniences and the fact that the person's physical beauty would not be appreciated by the blind person.

Blind people need love too, as do those we would generally call "deformed". I find it sick that people will misstate their physical attributes in online profiles just so that they'll attract more dates. Skinny people (usually men) will overstate their weight, fat people will understate their weight. Short people will overstate their height, tall people will understate their height. Guys who like to sit around and watch football all day will say that they love the outdoors. Girls who hate bars and love getting "dolled up" will say that they can be "just one of the guys". People constantly misrepresent themselves because they feel this pressure to conform to a nebulously-defined social standard for humanity... when in reality it's far better to be different. If you like to sit around and drink beer while watching football all day when you're not working, don't you think there are women who would do that with you? Perhaps only a small percentage, but I've known some HARDCORE sports fanatic women! If you hate bars and would prefer your man to get dressed up and go to fancy places with you (or just ordinary places while y'all are dressed up), don't you think there are guys who would do that? Again, maybe not many, but all you need is one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Most people know where they stand looks-wise...I just think it's difficult to accept.
Most people know where they stand with how their looks measure up to the societally-created norms. That doesn't mean that we're either gorgeous or ugly. I have to use the same example I always use. My wife is gorgeous to me. She has relayed stories evincing how she was ugly to certain other guys.

Quote:
You can assume, yes...but your assumptions may not always be correct.

I had a bright pink and black mohawk while in college for Aerospace engineering Some of us just like to experiment with things that can easily be changed, it doesn't mean you're wild at all. Engineering was tough and that was a way for me to cheer myself up.
Okay, so you're smarter than the average bear, but you were still wild, and if you had to experiment like that, you were lagging a bit behind in the maturity department... unless this was the 1980's. You might get a bit of a pass for that. I grew my hair long after I graduated college, and my experimentation started in college. I just... couldn't afford a haircut, and when I could, I was too lazy to get one. So I grew my hair out... and I liked it. It's long to this day.

However, a black and pink mohawk can't easily be changed. You could dye it to your normal hair color but it's still a mohawk. If you want to de-mohawk-ify it, you'd end up with a nearly shaved head... not exactly feminine.

But, even at that, I'm sure there are some dudes out there who dig chicks with mohawks. There's someone for everyone.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 AM

5,086 posts, read 7,994,724 times
Quote:
Meh, I'll just dance to dabbangkutthu (south indian ghetto music) in my backyard. Its what cheers me up, and is a wonderful exercise. Etthu vidu machi (means show me what you got buddy in my native language) .
Have fun!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 PM

389 posts, read 584,287 times
Quote:
I would like to honestly know why all the "Rate my looks" threads are hated on this forum. What infuriates you about these threads. I apologize for being stupid and posting a couple of these threads myself.

But why is there extreme anger towards people asking on the internet how they look. Why is Reassurance regarded as a crime which deserves the electric chair on this forum. How, in any way, does it claim that one has low confidence and is insecure. Finally, Why do people assume the most ridiculous things about a persons personality when they post a "rate my looks" thread.

Be honest with all of your responses. I want to know.
It shows a negative, insecure, petty side of our human nature we'd rather forget was there. In a society obsessed with appearance, it's also embarrassing for a member of that society to willingly bare himself in such a manner.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 AM

3,080 posts, read 2,492,175 times
I had to think about this for a while before I replied. Meanwhile, some other people came up with most of the ideas I did and some I wouldn't have thought of. My contribution is that, when motives are okay (in seeking or giving ratings), there's too much uselessness or (whether from politeness or irrelevant context) dishonesty. People telling others they look okay when their looks are hurting them or giving suggestions that are so vague they can't do much good ("lose weight"). Someone who wants accurate feedback and to act upon it probably should go to an image consultant, cosmetic surgeon, or another source likely to supply it. Hmm, I guess another underlying gripe of many is that whatever feedback they give is unlikely to be heeded.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 PM

994 posts, read 1,313,563 times
Quote:
You create your own drama.

Just an FYI.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
1. you are nuts
2. looks like you posted here about 9 hours after you claimed you would never be back.
Pretty sure he's still reading the thread when he sees people replied to it.

Quote:
I was born and brought up in homogenous India. Obviously, what I wear and how I look will be very different from Americans. I want to assimilate myself with the American system of fashion such that I am not singled out like an Idiot for what I wear or my odd body shape. I don't want to be singled out by police and interrogated for looking out of place or different. It has happened before when I just arrived from India and wore a hoodie in sunny 60 F weather while everyone else was in summer clothes. I was patted down for possession of an unlawful substance (which I did not have). It was humiliating and scary to say the least. I never want to go through that process again. So, I want to make sure I do not end up being singled out that way because of my looks. My main aim is to know if I am dressing up in the right manner such that I do not attract attention for undesirable reasons. I am not asking for attention, as many assume here.
More than anything, I just wanted to say that this is BS. I hadn't read this thread since last commenting on it, but when I re-stumbled upon this I had to reply.

Maybe that did happen, and if it did I'm sorry. As someone else said, though, that had more to do with you wearing a hoodie in the summer than you being hot or not. Regardless, seeing if you can assimilate is not why you nor others post these kinds of threads. If that were the case, the photo in the thread you're talking about wouldn't have been you lying on your bed in a wife beater making sex eyes at the camera AND your poll options wouldn't have been "handsome", "average", "meh", and then "disgusting because I'm Indian". There was a clear motive there whether you realize it or not. Hopefully this thread engendered more than just a "whoops, my bad" from you and has made you truly consider how your attitude and beliefs about yourself come off to strangers.

As I said before, Rate My Looks are made by people with a profound lack of self-awareness. And that you even considered the notion that asking a bunch of strangers (on an international website, no less) if you're hot could help you assimilate with US citizens just proves my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or