Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,135,492 times

Advertisements

I would like to honestly know why all the "Rate my looks" threads are hated on this forum. What infuriates you about these threads. I apologize for being stupid and posting a couple of these threads myself.

But why is there extreme anger towards people asking on the internet how they look. Why is Reassurance regarded as a crime which deserves the electric chair on this forum. How, in any way, does it claim that one has low confidence and is insecure. Finally, Why do people assume the most ridiculous things about a persons personality when they post a "rate my looks" thread.

Be honest with all of your responses. I want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,286,383 times
Because narcissism is a huge turn off to intelligent people.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM

484 posts, read 756,685 times
I don't hate these threads, but it is a bit annoying when it is clear the pictures are not posted by the person in them.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,532,342 times
You are one of the most melodramatic posters I've ever encountered on here... and that's saying a lot since I mostly post on P&OC and Relationships

Regardless, I never post in those threads and I think they're kind of ridiculous because this is an anonymous forum so who really cares how you look?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,479,183 times
Just tell them how ugly they are. ..

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM

293 posts, read 466,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would like to honestly know why all the "Rate my looks" threads are hated on this forum. What infuriates you about these threads. I apologize for being stupid and posting a couple of these threads myself.

But why is there extreme anger towards people asking on the internet how they look. Why is Reassurance regarded as a crime which deserves the electric chair on this forum. How, in any way, does it claim that one has low confidence and is insecure. Finally, Why do people assume the most ridiculous things about a persons personality when they post a "rate my looks" thread.

Be honest with all of your responses. I want to know.
You're not looking for reassurance, you are looking for words that help you feel better about yourself. If you knew you were attractive, you would not post the question in the first place.

Attention seeking behavior at it's worst.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
I couldn't care less if people post them, but to me, they seem narcissistic and/or needy, and definitely attention-seeking...and I have to question the common sense of people who are willing to divulge their identity on a large, public database in such a way.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,892,114 times
I'll add my two cents: Either the poster wants to be reassured that they look great or set themselves up for some pretty brutal comments. I don't have any desire to feed into someone's vanity or hurt anyone's feelings, so I never respond to those type of posts. Even the posters who constantly put new pictures of themselves on their "about me" page turn me off. One is plenty for other posters to have a face associated with a name, but it is pretty vain, IMO to keep posting new pics all the time. Save that for your facebook page, where your friends might care.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM

23,897 posts, read 10,260,806 times
If memory does not fail me you are going into aviation in one form or another. Drama Mama over small change will not fly:>) Learn to live with yourself or you will be miserable for a long time. I have seen them short, fat, tall, lanky, dress horses, Rolex addicts, red/black/brown/white, straight/gay/none, ratty to the point of bum on 200k, bombshell on a leash, happy with a mousy mouse, ... take your pick.

The only person not to receive a second invitation to our rather open home with a decent cook is someone who a) has to share everything he/she hears b) is boring (which ahs nothing to do with being a loner/introvert). Greetings from a tag along of aviation.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times
The only ones I've seen posted by women are posted by obviously attractive ones. You wonder why they need to have people rate their looks. It's hard to believe they don't know they're very attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty