Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
Adi you ever take a brutal sports related hit? We played backyard football a lot as kids and were stupid enough to play tackle. Long story short I caught and pass and was upended by a varsity cornerback. Did a 180 in mid air and landed on my neck. Football is a violent sport.

How did you become a Pats fan?
Not sports, but have got hurt badly during recreational activities. Fell 30 ft down a hill while trail racing in bikes. The kid next to me decided to go dirty and kicked me. I lost control, rolled down, and smashed my hand into a boulder to protect myself from a head injury. This happened when I was 10 years old. I was then rushed to the hospital Accident relief center and admitted for 4 days till my hand healed reasonably.

Becoming a football fan, thank my uncle (Big time Cowboys fan since the 70's). Becoming a pats fan, I always liked underrated teams making it to the Superbowl. In the early 2000's it happened to be the Pats. I fell in love with Tom Brady's quarterback skill and quickly assimilated myself as a Pats fan. What a fun steamroll it was yesterday night .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM

293 posts, read 469,058 times
A 30 foot drop is no joke; glad you healed and recovered nicely. I am not sure the Patriots were ever underrated though. I know the Giants were not favored against the Pats and won both times.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1976 View Post
I am not sure the Patriots were ever underrated though.
2002 Superbowl against "the greatest show on turf". The Pats had a new kid called Tom Brady who was a 6th round draft pick from Michigan. Pats pulled of a huge upset and thats how all the spicy Masala started .

Super Bowl XXXVI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This game cemented my love for the Pats.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
I ignore rate my looks posts because a) someone put someone else's picture on line and it's not right to mess with people that way b) I don't give people affirmation when they ask for it. Assume that if people give you positive affirmation in the "real world" the you are found attractive. If you do not get positive affirmation... then change something... or DON'T. There are real problems going on... a reality check is needed if anyone thinks looks are everything.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I ignore rate my looks posts because a) someone put someone else's picture on line and it's not right to mess with people that way b) I don't give people affirmation when they ask for it. Assume that if people give you positive affirmation in the "real world" the you are found attractive. If you do not get positive affirmation... then change something... or DON'T. There are real problems going on... a reality check is needed if anyone thinks looks are everything.
men don't really get nearly as much positive affirmation as women. I remember on another forum some female mentioned not wanting to stroke my ego (I didn't post a "rate my looks" thread, its a fitness forum and guys often post pics to show progress) and I was a bit annoyed. my position was that i accept that as a man im almost never getting compliments on my appearance but she probably would fall into depression if nobody noticed her outfit, hair, boyfriend didn't tell her how beautiful she is, etc.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
men don't really get nearly as much positive affirmation as women. I remember on another forum some female mentioned not wanting to stroke my ego (I didn't post a "rate my looks" thread, its a fitness forum and guys often post pics to show progress) and I was a bit annoyed. my position was that i accept that as a man im almost never getting compliments on my appearance but she probably would fall into depression if nobody noticed her outfit, hair, boyfriend didn't tell her how beautiful she is, etc.
Our society has too many needy types that post selfies everyday and want "friends"to tell them they look amazing! Self confidence is the cornerstone of being attractive. Period. Man or woman. Young or old... or somewhere in between..

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM

I just wanted to reaffirm the raw truth about my looks. I am NOT looking for attention. As I keep mentioning, any insults on my looks do not impact how I feel.

I give priority to Intelligence, personality, and good habits (smoking, doing drugs, or uncontrolled drinking are a major turn off) over looks.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-12-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hope this thread serves as a detterance for those who attempt to post images of themselves and create a "rate my looks" thread.

I learned the harsh consequences of doing so, and don't want others to suffer the same fate. These threads hurt both sides and are best if not created in the first place.

Commiting a mistake and learning a lesson compels me to change and advise others never to try such idiotic things.
I'm not on often enough, so I've only seen 2-3 such threads, but I have jumped in a couple of times to tell a younger person s/he looks fine. I have no problem easing someone's insecurity & have done so in 'real' life, as well. A little kindness doesn't hurt. To me these threads are harmless, aside from the fact that a person's pic is spread far & wide. Although, some post pics on their profiles, too. I think neither are good ideas in our nutty world.

I refrain from taking it too seriously, because the younger generation does put it all out there on social media (again, I think that's a mistake), but I do believe people post pics because they think they look good & want that momentary validation from others, regardless of the insecurity they attempt to conceal... & not very well, imho. I don't buy it that they really want an opinion... they want a bit of praise & are fishing for compliments. That's the way I see it, although I did mention that to one old crone, who hangs out in the Retirement arena & she clawed my eyes out for calling her out on it. I don't care if people do post pics, just be honest that you're doing so because you want others to tell you how attractive you think you are. Now I'll stop before that retired shrew finds me... haha.

To Adi... I'd advise against it, too. It took awhile, but my sister finally got her teen girls to take down most of their FB pics & make their profiles private. One too many comments from creepy, middle-aged men, who knew where they lived & worked in their very, very small town finally did it. It can have too many repercussions in this day & age. And, as you've seen, it will incite the ire of others. Let your full length mirror be your friend in fashion matters instead of anonymous forum members.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Nihuya sebe, some of you are judging these threads way too harshly

I think you all are forgetting the type of people who make these threads. Pretty much all of them are young. The youth is an insecure time; you're trying to find a job, make money, meet partners, and worst of all, you're trying to accomplish all of this without any real world experience. An insecure 38-year-old is unusual, an insecure 18-year-old is the norm. Guess what, a lot of those 18-year-olds get experience and develop into healthy functional adults.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Nihuya sebe
What the FK (Works well in context )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty