Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
I'm afraid that is a VERY BIG reach there. You still do not need it. Most men don't put makeup on and they still live a full life. Also, aftershave and deodorant isn't a necessity either. I use deodorant regularly, but only ever used aftershave about 3 times in my life...I'm still here. If you need something to protect you from the sun, use suntanning lotion.

Your reasoning for using makeup is superficial at best. Women NEED to use it because of aging? No, it is still a want. Aging is the natural process of life.

I'm sure if men started wearing makeup like women because "we wanted to...it's fun...cover our imperfections...etc...", we'd be called gay or too feminine to date. I'm not talking about men "manscaping" or anything like that. I'm talking using full-blown makeup on a daily basis. The guy would never hear the end of it from both genders.

This is what I REALLY don't understand: doesn't part of feminism tell women that they should be who they want to be and don't pander to the likes of men? I agree with this. Why is it that some women (I'm referring to the ones who feel insecure about their looks, not the ones who do it for fun/other reasons) feel they should do something they may not want to do to please others?

Let me also point out a bit of irony: there was a thread under the Relationships forum where women called Candace Cameron Bure "stupid", a "doormat" and some other choice adjectives, for "submitting" in the relationship to her husband. Yet, many women "submit" to the pressures of society to be beautiful. Hypocritical much?
There ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I am 50 and I stopped wearing makeup about 10 years ago when I left the corporate world. Even then what I wore was fairly minimal. Now I may wear it twice a year when I go to some kind of formal event for pictures but even then it's minimal. And I do what I want because it's what I want and not what everyone else expects me to do.

I just don't like the idea of putting all those chemicals on my face every day. I like to focus more on health and taking good care of my skin. I am very fair and more concerned with sun damage, moisturizing and minimizing lines and wrinkles and taking the best care possible of my skin. People say I have beautiful skin and I think wearing mimimal to no makeup over the years has helped this. Looking healthy is the most beautiful thing of all.

When women wear a lot of makeup it makes me question what's under there - what are they hiding?
One of the big things I see in teenage girls too, is trying to cover up acne with makeup, which results in worse acne.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
I wear it because it takes the 'edge' off, for lack of a better way to put it.My skin is fair;I have deep-set eyes and dark circles that make me look kinda spooky. So, I lighten those areas.

My lashes and brows are very blond. I wear mascara, and look better with darker brows but that is a pain. If I have them dyed it wears off in a few weeks.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,318,692 times
Some women look completely different without their makeup face on. I've had a couple of experiences of walking passed a woman who I have regular interactions with and not recognize her because she is makeup free. I think once they and those around them get used to their made up look, it's hard to let it go.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Some women look completely different without their makeup face on. I've had a couple of experiences of walking passed a woman who I have regular interactions with and not recognize her because she is makeup free. I think once they and those around them get used to their made up look, it's hard to let it go.
So... what is your point?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces.
Some women do go natural...and some prefer to use makeup. Your preference has no effect on what all women do.

Quote:
Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
If you consider any woman that wears makeup, to have a "clown looking face", then you have some issues you should probably look into.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
I have the opposite opinion as the OP. I wish more women wore more makeup. I see natural all the time (and more than ever) and I'm not attracted to it.

I am so stimulated by the artificial look that I would be more excited looking at a picture of a pretty woman who wears a lot of makeup (and knows how to make it look good) than a nude picture of a woman not wearing makeup. Makeup is a must. One of the best products that exists on this earth. I would like to thank and salute all the ladies who love their makeup.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Here's a real serious problem I have with makeup is that kids are directly affected by the makeup companies marketing and entertainment.

I frequently see a group of teenagers at a mall or outside of schools, all the same age group. The boys all look their age, jeans and shirts. But, the girls look like women. They all have makeup, eye liner, and pinkish cheeks, and dark eye mascara. Isn't it odd that you have HS boys that look like HS boys but HS girls that look like women?

Young girls are trying to make decisions about their body at a much younger age than ever before.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Just eyeliner and mascara for me. Blush on a very rare occasion but practically never. Foundation/face makeup - I never understood caking stuff all over your face and I've never done that. Nothing on my lips unless they are chapped, then I use chapstick.
You know, what you choose to wear or not wear on your face is totally your choice. But I have to say that if the make up you have tried caked on your face, you were wearing crummy makeup, or applying good stuff all wrong.

Good foundation does not cake. And if applied with a light hand it will smooth out redness or other imperfections. And you can find the good stuff very easily at any full service drugstore.

But, choosing not to wear makeup is a perfectly OK choice as far as I'm concerned. Just understand the nature of the thing you are refusing to wear.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Here's a real serious problem I have with makeup is that kids are directly affected by the makeup companies marketing and entertainment.

I frequently see a group of teenagers at a mall or outside of schools, all the same age group. The boys all look their age, jeans and shirts. But, the girls look like women. They all have makeup, eye liner, and pinkish cheeks, and dark eye mascara. Isn't it odd that you have HS boys that look like HS boys but HS girls that look like women?

Young girls are trying to make decisions about their body at a much younger age than ever before.
You have a good point here. A lot of young girls might be affected by the images they see online or on TV. Its too bad they can't maintain their girlish looks for longer, isn't it? They have no idea of how gorgeous they are now. Its too bad they feel pressured to make themselves look older and less innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty