Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,686,802 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me incredibly happy to be married...after tens and tens of pages, it's still clear wearing a little bit of makeup bothers some men. Time to get over it. Women are going to wear various amounts of makeup. If the real issue was with wearing heavy makeup, why not just say that from the get-go? Then complaining about getting-ready routines? Please, give me a break. The same guys who complain would complain even more if the woman set her appearance to the back burner to take care of the kids. "She doesn't put in any effort anymore." Seriously, time to make up your minds guys (pardon the pun).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,539,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My entire daytime makeup routine takes 5-10 minutes. Nighttime adds another 5, maybe 10 (depends on the occasion).

Takes longer to style my hair than put on makeup. 15-30 minutes.

I'm laid back that way.
Seriously. Even if I take my time it takes me less than 10 minutes to put on my 'day makeup' and less than 20 for 'night makeup', if I put on makeup at all.

Now, if I'm going to a conference or have a corporate meeting, I do take a bit longer but that's because I'm being judged far harsher on my looks in those situations.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,778,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I believe men in general give women way more leeway. Maybe the type of men you sought after are heavy on looks because they probably have it easy with women. If men are critical of women's beauty there would be less marriages and more divorces. Because so many women just far apart when they hit a certain age and we men expect that.
The divorce rate is like 50%! And no, men don't give women more leeway. They may act like they do and date less-attractive women, but they play all kinds of games and treat them like crap because they think they're desperate enough to take it.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM

183 posts, read 291,209 times
I personally don't like much make up and try myself to live simple though I wear funky dresses as well and spend a lot on shopping and everything but avoid spending much on jewellery and make up items.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,085,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
This thread makes me incredibly happy to be married...after tens and tens of pages, it's still clear wearing a little bit of makeup bothers some men. Time to get over it. Women are going to wear various amounts of makeup. If the real issue was with wearing heavy makeup, why not just say that from the get-go? Then complaining about getting-ready routines? Please, give me a break. The same guys who complain would complain even more if the woman set her appearance to the back burner to take care of the kids. "She doesn't put in any effort anymore." Seriously, time to make up your minds guys (pardon the pun).
While an exhausting thread, due to difference in opinion, it still teases out some interesting trends. Trends in this forum, anyway

So, yet another opinion: "In my opinion....(mid 40s guy, PacNW U.S., professional)...":

- "Some" makeup is hugely sexier than "none," on just about every woman I've ever dated or found physically attractive. If she's good, it highlights her features and draws attention to the strengths, minimizing the not-so-interesting.

- "Thick" makeup is just vulgar, unless you are Japanese and geisha . Not often seen in the PacNW, thankfully.

- "Au naturale" looks a bit off, but is clearly a popular look in this part of the country (and elsewhere, sounds like).

As a man, my "solution" based on preference is to quite simply date women who take a certain care in their appearance. Which "does" include makeup, good dress, demure manners, etc. That is what I am into.

Other guys are not, and date ladies who almost exclusively go au naturale. It's a free country. See previous pages of thread.

I may be a product of my particular era (Gen X), and have no idea if my views in this particular matter trend majority, minority, on the rise, or the wane. It just is. Back in my mom's era, long time ago now (think "Mad Men") there were totally different priorities and standards, end of story. Back then, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Interesting how fashion trends and opinions change across the decades, though.

Today if an American man is really, unequivocally attracted to that "traditional, entirely feminine" look, best to date mostly FSU and Eastern European women. That's how most of them roll, still.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
While an exhausting thread, due to difference in opinion, it still teases out some interesting trends. Trends in this forum, anyway

So, yet another opinion: "In my opinion....(mid 40s guy, PacNW U.S., professional)...":

- "Some" makeup is hugely sexier than "none," on just about every woman I've ever dated or found physically attractive. If she's good, it highlights her features and draws attention to the strengths, minimizing the not-so-interesting.

- "Thick" makeup is just vulgar, unless you are Japanese and geisha . Not often seen in the PacNW, thankfully.

- "Au naturale" looks a bit off, but is clearly a popular look in this part of the country (and elsewhere, sounds like).

As a man, my "solution" based on preference is to quite simply date women who take a certain care in their appearance. Which "does" include makeup, good dress, demure manners, etc. That is what I am into.

Other guys are not, and date ladies who almost exclusively go au naturale. It's a free country. See previous pages of thread.

I may be a product of my particular era (Gen X), and have no idea if my views in this particular matter trend majority, minority, on the rise, or the wane. It just is. Back in my mom's era, long time ago now (think "Mad Men") there were totally different priorities and standards, end of story. Back then, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Interesting how fashion trends and opinions change across the decades, though.

Today if an American man is really, unequivocally attracted to that "traditional, entirely feminine" look, best to date mostly FSU and Eastern European women. That's how most of them roll, still.
I enjoyed your post. I currently live in a Northwestern city that is 50% Hispanic. I can't help but notice the absolutely huge ethnic divide here when it comes to makeup. The large majority of white women here wear no makeup at all. I have never seen anything like it. A lot wear sweat pants all the time too. It's all about comfort and not about making an effort to look attractive. The Latinas are just the opposite, they will glam it up just to go to Wal-Mart. They almost all wear makeup and some wear a LOT of makeup. Most also have the fake eyelashes which I love. I find myself almost exclusively attracted to the Latinas (that wasn't the case in other cities I lived in). The white women are just so over the top plain and natural, I guess many of the guys on the thread would love it...not me, I feel no attraction. I like to feel attraction, it releases endorphins.

I am Gen X too and perhaps that has an influence on my preference for artificiality. I was a teenager in the 80s and the artificial look was in. I loved seeing all the girls with big hair etc. Some of the girls really wore a lot of makeup. Even if they were my age they looked like young women to me, I (and many of the boys) looked like a kid compared to them. Earlier in this thread somebody complained about this very thing (which doesn't really exist today, teen girls don't strive to look older these days) but I embraced it. When I was near a fully madeup girl it gave me a submissive feeling that I enjoyed.

You mentioned Eastern Europe. The pictures I have seen of women there greatly appeal to me. I love how stylish they are. There is a conflict in Ukraine right now...some factions want to align with the West. The first thing that came to my mind (and only my mind) was oh no if Ukraine becomes part of the West the women will stop trying to look beautiful and start wearing sweat pants and not wearing makeup.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,316 times
That is really very true in terms of women, they will do anything to look beautiful and hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty