Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

I think most men don't even realize that when they see a beautiful woman who they think is not wearing any makeup, she is probably (not always) wearing some but she just knows how to put it on so that it looks natural. We often see "makeup free celebs" articles in magazines but if you look closely, they are almost always wearing makeup, just a more natural version then their "Hollywood glam" style.

I don't always wear makeup but most days I do. I wear a moisturizing foundation that I buy at whole foods. It feels good on my skin and has natural ingredients. I wear mineral powder blush, mascara and lip gloss. It's kind of a lot of makeup if you think about it but it looks natural. Without it I look tired with a less even skin tone. Not a huge difference but noticeable enough for me to choose to wear makeup more often then not. For special occasions I might add a little eye shadow and eyeliner. It still doesn't look like I'm wearing much makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Women don't NEED makeup. We NEED food (and probably) clothing and shelter to survive.

Wouldn't the woman wearing makeup because she feels unattractive without it around others be an insecurity? In addition, once again, one doesn't NEED makeup. That's like saying I NEED a brand new iPhone.

Seriously? You're really going to compare the wanting of makeup to the necessity of clothing?

Personally, I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. I'm sure some are insecure while others do it for fun/other personal reasons. What I'm confused with is why are some of the women here quick to jump on a man if he liked her without makeup? I thought many women complained that men were too visual . Now it seems that a man would be criticized for not being visual? I'm convinced the responses would be the same outcome if a male poster proclaimed that all women should wear makeup, that is, attack mode on.

For the ones saying, 'We're still wearing concealer...you don't know anything...blah blah blah', I understand, while out and about, it may be harder for us to tell. However, plenty of men wake up to girlfriends/wives sans makeup everyday. In my prior relationships, I thought my girlfriends were gorgeous without it. My last ex only used to put on lip gloss when out and I still thought she was the most stunning woman ever.

Yes, I do and let me tell you why. Our bodies get protected from the elements by clothing. Our hand and faces do not. We - humans - need to protect our faces and hands. Creams will do that and BTW men should wear it too. Just like they use aftershave and deodorant. It's a necessity. Foundation and powder it's to correct imperfections, as I said.

Sure our basic necessities are food and shelter but if we lived like that we'll be back in the stone age. And BTW makeup existed even in antiquity. I've visited some castles in Greece where they had mirros, powders and make up used by women in antiquity.

My point is men dont know when a woman wears make up and when not and women who dont wear - not even moisturizer or a good day cream - will age quicker.

In all these glossy magazines have you seen that aesthetic surgery sometimes makes miracles with faces but there's nothing they can do about hands? Have you seen the discrepancy between a woman's hands and face? Women who wear no makeup will have their faces age in the same rhythm as their hands.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
If the OP's talking about 'clownish makeup', then you're speaking of women who are applying it very poorly (like wide strips of tire track blush) or using colors far too bright (red or purple blush rather than a softer pink), such as wearing nightclub makeup during the day. It also depends upon which age range you're referencing? I don't see a lot of Tammy Faye Bakers (40+ yr old overly made up... & poorly applied to boot... women) walking about.

Why do they wear it? Sometimes a touch of insecurity (like covering blemished or blotchy skin), as you'd mentioned, as they feel they've something to mask.

Sometimes it's just a fad they're going with, like the young girls I see working at my bank who wear false eyelashes. I don't get it... it doesn't fit their job & to me moderate false lashes would be for a special evening event only (New Year's Eve party, the ballet if wearing a gown), but kids like to experiment & they, at least, think they're being fashionable & edgy. I think most of us went through that edgy/rebellious stage as teens/early 20s perhaps with longer hair, goth or other costumey type dressing or strangely colored hair & nails. Even boys are doing that now.

Sometimes younger girls like the attention they receive when in clubs & they're over-emphasizing features, which looks great in that dim lighting... but, then they take to the noon-day pavement in the same look & it can be a bit garish.

I used to see more of the above in the 80s. Pull up any band video on YT from that era or Google '80s makeup' & you'll get a good laugh. Of course, that was the accepted style then, as teased bouffants were in the 60s, complete with white frosted lipstick & baby blue eyeshadow. They're just having fun, for the most part, I think.

But, more often, I think most women view makeup as an accessory & we each differ in what's attractive on us & others. Sit down at any outdoor cafe for an hour & more than likely, you'll see 1 of everything pass by. I've seen some women who look frumpy all the time, even with a bit of gloss... not for me to judge, they're just not into fashion, hair, makeup... fair enough. Others dress like they're on the runway at all times... they're in heels even if wearing jeans, don lots of jewelry, with their hair big & sprayed & varying degrees of makeup. Others look as if their showgirl job just ended & they forgot to remove the stage gear/face.

As far as most men not liking 'clownish' makeup, I'd initially agree, but I see those girls walking with boyfriends, so some must not care or like it. I don't know where you're seeing most women like this... nightclubs? I'm guessing not many girls go to clubs with undone hair, bare face & flat shoes.

Equally important, keep in mind that women have preferences, too. Some like men in suits, some in nice fitting jeans & boots & many don't wear either, even though most women I know prefer 1 if not both. I gasp for air when a man swathed in cheap cologne is near me, but men do it anyway. When I see an unshaven slobby lad in an ill fitting track suit, wrinkled clothing or slept-in looking sweat pants, I cringe & move back a foot, because he looks as if he doesn't smell pleasant. Same could be said... why walk around like that when it's doubtful many women find an unkempt look attractive? Still, I do see it frequently, especially on weekends, no matter where I've lived.

But, like the lad in my apt complex who wears knee length, white tube socks with flip flops & baggy shorts... why should I care if he's comfortable? I secretly think it's daft & dorky (okay, super, industrial-sized uber-daft & dorky) & try not to laugh, but he's like that every time I see him, so I guess he thinks he looks fine. If he has a wife/gf, I'm guessing she doesn't care. He seems nice enough. To each his/her own.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is a difference between stage/movie makeup, and what women wear in real life.
Went to a taping of the Craig Ferguson show. On TV he looks quite natural. When he came out I was STUNNED. He was a ghastly shade of yellow -- obviously made up. You have to fight the lighting on TV. Speaking of which -- there's an Aveeno ad with Jennifer Aniston and her face is SOSOSO brightly lit, you can't see any imperfections on her face. And she's not the only one they are lighting up that brightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think most men don't even realize that when they see a beautiful woman who they think is not wearing any makeup, she is probably (not always) wearing some but she just knows how to put it on so that it looks natural. We often see "makeup free celebs" articles in magazines but if you look closely, they are almost always wearing makeup, just a more natural version then their "Hollywood glam" style..
And there is now a very natural face that is in fashion. A very light hand with foundation, blush and matte eyeshadow very sparingly used to create depth. No mascara at all, with curled eyelashes (or clear mascara).

Saw it on several models in magazines.

In fashion there is always a backlash to what came before. In the forties, we had to conserve and save for the war effort, so clothing was streamlined and fitted. In the 50's that's when the crinolines and big puffy skirts with yards and yards of material came out. Those silhouettes streamlined down, but they required very restrictive undergarments (long line bras and girdles) and along came the 60's.... and that stuff went out the window... and then came the hippies.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

260 posts, read 337,620 times
In everyday life - why is makeup a woman's product? If it's to help "enhance" our looks or cover imperfections - why is that something a woman has to focus on, not a man? And I already know the answer - I'm just writing my thoughts down.

What if we spent more time and resources on staying fit and healthy, getting an education, making a difference in the world?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM

203 posts, read 321,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
I think its a tad bit presumptuous of you to make a statement like that - lol. The standards for beauty in this country are ridiculous. It is very difficult to grow up in looks obsessed culture as a girl or young woman and not feel the pressure to look a certain way. It's getting tougher for boys and young men now too.

While makeup can be fun and fashionable, for many its the difference between getting treated well or being invisible by the general public. People do judge you by the way you look whether we like it or not and until we become a more spiritually, emotionally and mentally well rounded and healthier culture, its probably going to stay that way for a very long time.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
I agree with rs4 fan, women don't need make-up. They feel that they do because men, over many many years, have programmed them to think that they look better that way. My wife goes natural most of the time, but when we go 'out', she wears a little make-up and that's fine with me. But it's not neccessary to me.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Of course it's not necessary nor is makeup a "need." It's a luxury item but there are certain times and contexts where makeup is nice to have and gives a more polished look.

How often is it anyway, that women are walking around with clown makeup on? Only certain kinds of women are known to do that and if they have a man, it's up to that man to express his like or dislike of it. Other than that I don't see single women wearing makeup so badly that it reflects the OP's opinion. Teenagers and young women often over do it, but from what I've seen with women in their 30's, 40's, and 50's is they aren't wearing their best colors (as with clothes). Really though who cares?

Are we ignoring the reality that people judge you by your looks?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
This thread is pages and pages of two sides saying the same thing over and over. Some of us like makeup and wear it well, to our advantage. I brighten, highlight and accentuate the features I was given. No Botox or injectables. I have had eyelashes put on professionally and wow, what a crazy difference. Individual lashes painstakingly put on my lash line. Amazing! I love bigger transformations as well as day-to-day natural enhancement. My husband thinks I look ten years younger than my age and even women comment on my youthful appearance. The new generation of makeup, cc breams, bob creams, tinted moisturizer... actually protect your skin, as another poster mentioned. For people who take issue with makeup... DO NOT WEAR IT! Move on. No worries.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Yes, I do and let me tell you why. Our bodies get protected from the elements by clothing. Our hand and faces do not. We - humans - need to protect our faces and hands. Creams will do that and BTW men should wear it too. Just like they use aftershave and deodorant. It's a necessity. Foundation and powder it's to correct imperfections, as I said.

Sure our basic necessities are food and shelter but if we lived like that we'll be back in the stone age. And BTW makeup existed even in antiquity. I've visited some castles in Greece where they had mirros, powders and make up used by women in antiquity.

My point is men dont know when a woman wears make up and when not and women who dont wear - not even moisturizer or a good day cream - will age quicker.

In all these glossy magazines have you seen that aesthetic surgery sometimes makes miracles with faces but there's nothing they can do about hands? Have you seen the discrepancy between a woman's hands and face? Women who wear no makeup will have their faces age in the same rhythm as their hands.
I'm afraid that is a VERY BIG reach there. You still do not need it. Most men don't put makeup on and they still live a full life. Also, aftershave and deodorant isn't a necessity either. I use deodorant regularly, but only ever used aftershave about 3 times in my life...I'm still here. If you need something to protect you from the sun, use suntanning lotion.

Your reasoning for using makeup is superficial at best. Women NEED to use it because of aging? No, it is still a want. Aging is the natural process of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
In everyday life - why is makeup a woman's product? If it's to help "enhance" our looks or cover imperfections - why is that something a woman has to focus on, not a man? And I already know the answer - I'm just writing my thoughts down.

What if we spent more time and resources on staying fit and healthy, getting an education, making a difference in the world?
I'm sure if men started wearing makeup like women because "we wanted to...it's fun...cover our imperfections...etc...", we'd be called gay or too feminine to date. I'm not talking about men "manscaping" or anything like that. I'm talking using full-blown makeup on a daily basis. The guy would never hear the end of it from both genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
I think its a tad bit presumptuous of you to make a statement like that - lol. The standards for beauty in this country are ridiculous. It is very difficult to grow up in looks obsessed culture as a girl or young woman and not feel the pressure to look a certain way. It's getting tougher for boys and young men now too.

While makeup can be fun and fashionable, for many its the difference between getting treated well or being invisible by the general public. People do judge you by the way you look whether we like it or not and until we become a more spiritually, emotionally and mentally well rounded and healthier culture, its probably going to stay that way for a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Are we ignoring the reality that people judge you by your looks?
This is what I REALLY don't understand: doesn't part of feminism tell women that they should be who they want to be and don't pander to the likes of men? I agree with this. Why is it that some women (I'm referring to the ones who feel insecure about their looks, not the ones who do it for fun/other reasons) feel they should do something they may not want to do to please others?

Let me also point out a bit of irony: there was a thread under the Relationships forum where women called Candace Cameron Bure "stupid", a "doormat" and some other choice adjectives, for "submitting" in the relationship to her husband. Yet, many women "submit" to the pressures of society to be beautiful. Hypocritical much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty