Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 10:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post

This is what I REALLY don't understand: doesn't part of feminism tell women that they should be who they want to be and don't pander to the likes of men? I agree with this. Why is it that some women (I'm referring to the ones who feel insecure about their looks, not the ones who do it for fun/other reasons) feel they should do something they may not want to do to please others?

Let me also point out a bit of irony: there was a thread under the Relationships forum where women called Candace Cameron Bure "stupid", a "doormat" and some other choice adjectives, for "submitting" in the relationship to her husband. Yet, many women "submit" to the pressures of society to be beautiful. Hypocritical much?
As I understand feminism, the idea is that women should be able to realize their potential with the same freedoms as men. I don't think feminists generally care whether most women wear makeup. An awful lot of us have expressed our feelings about why we wear makeup. I think you need to understand that for us that is simply the way it is. For those who don't or for men who seem to be judgmental about this, I can only recommend that you find another thing to obsess about. Women are free to do whatever they want to their appearance. That's what living in a free country is all about. Each person decides for herself.

If someone does not want to wear makeup, then I don't personally feel that she should be corrected. And vice versa. If someone uses makeup badly, then I have to think that there are always people who "get it wrong" in some way. Plenty of men wear come overs and outdated glasses, and I think they are free to do so, even though their appearance does not present themselves well. Its a free country.

If you can't understand something, then simply recognize that you don't understand it, and try not to be so judgmental. You don't want to be judged severely on your appearance, right? Why should you judge others on the basis of some set of "rules" you feel they should live by? And it is OK if you don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Here's a real serious problem I have with makeup is that kids are directly affected by the makeup companies marketing and entertainment.

I frequently see a group of teenagers at a mall or outside of schools, all the same age group. The boys all look their age, jeans and shirts. But, the girls look like women. They all have makeup, eye liner, and pinkish cheeks, and dark eye mascara. Isn't it odd that you have HS boys that look like HS boys but HS girls that look like women?

Young girls are trying to make decisions about their body at a much younger age than ever before.
As long as your daughter doesn't wear makeup that makes her look trampy then learning how to properly wear makeup in high school is a good thing, IMO.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know, what you choose to wear or not wear on your face is totally your choice. But I have to say that if the make up you have tried caked on your face, you were wearing crummy makeup, or applying good stuff all wrong.

Good foundation does not cake. And if applied with a light hand it will smooth out redness or other imperfections. And you can find the good stuff very easily at any full service drugstore.

But, choosing not to wear makeup is a perfectly OK choice as far as I'm concerned. Just understand the nature of the thing you are refusing to wear.
I think some of the posters here need to be introduced to the Bobbi Brown counter.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
women dont just take care of their faces they also pay alot of attention to their clothes. all of this is good.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Funny that so many of the first comments to the thread referenced Colorado! I wear make-up only very occasionally and so do most of my 40-something peers. Pretty common to see make-up free faces here.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
I do go natural. That was one reason why my husband wanted to get know me.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You have a good point here. A lot of young girls might be affected by the images they see online or on TV. Its too bad they can't maintain their girlish looks for longer, isn't it? They have no idea of how gorgeous they are now. Its too bad they feel pressured to make themselves look older and less innocent.
It's really sad, because I see so many girls with pretty faces get powdered up and try to look mature when they are still so young. The next thing they do is smoke, weed, and etc. The Lindsay Lohan story.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
Well said.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 AM

123 posts, read 151,565 times
In fact, there are also many women that do not wear makeup. I am that one woman. And many friends around me also do not wear makeup.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
For every man who thinks women wear too much makeup, there's another man who think they don't wear enough. Maybe women should just do as they please and quit worrying about what men say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty