U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 AM
 
4,667 posts, read 4,810,423 times
Reputation: 4176

Advertisements

When I was in high school in the 80s the girls wore a lot of makeup. They wanted to look grown up.Today's teen girls seem to wear less makeup than any generation in living memory. They look like kids, they don't aspire to look older like the girls of my generation did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 947,625 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I understand feminism, the idea is that women should be able to realize their potential with the same freedoms as men. I don't think feminists generally care whether most women wear makeup. An awful lot of us have expressed our feelings about why we wear makeup. I think you need to understand that for us that is simply the way it is. For those who don't or for men who seem to be judgmental about this, I can only recommend that you find another thing to obsess about. Women are free to do whatever they want to their appearance. That's what living in a free country is all about. Each person decides for herself.

If someone does not want to wear makeup, then I don't personally feel that she should be corrected. And vice versa. If someone uses makeup badly, then I have to think that there are always people who "get it wrong" in some way. Plenty of men wear come overs and outdated glasses, and I think they are free to do so, even though their appearance does not present themselves well. Its a free country.

If you can't understand something, then simply recognize that you don't understand it, and try not to be so judgmental. You don't want to be judged severely on your appearance, right? Why should you judge others on the basis of some set of "rules" you feel they should live by? And it is OK if you don't understand.
You've completely missed my point.

Do me a favor: read my post #90. In it, I specifically say that I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. My point was, I don't understand why INSECURE (READ: I'm excluding the ones who put on makeup for fun/other reasons...I'm ONLY talking about the ones who do it ONLY to appease others) women wear makeup to pander to the likes of men/society. They can do whatever they want. It just goes against part of the idea of feminism: that is, to be empowered and not to "submit" to the desires of men/society. I mentioned Candace Cameron Bure because many women on this board were outraged that she "submits" to her husband, yet some women willingly "submit" to the standards of beauty because they feel "pressured." It's hypocritical.

Also, if you're going to get on someone for being judgmental, get on your fellow female posters who says that certain women NEED makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,116 posts, read 27,217,533 times
Reputation: 16272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
You've completely missed my point.

Do me a favor: read my post #90. In it, I specifically say that I don't care whether a woman wears makeup or not. My point was, I don't understand why INSECURE (READ: I'm excluding the ones who put on makeup for fun/other reasons...I'm ONLY talking about the ones who do it ONLY to appease others) women wear makeup to pander to the likes of men/society. They can do whatever they want. It just goes against part of the idea of feminism: that is, to be empowered and not to "submit" to the desires of men/society. I mentioned Candace Cameron Bure because many women on this board were outraged that she "submits" to her husband, yet some women willingly "submit" to the standards of beauty because they feel "pressured." It's hypocritical.

Also, if you're going to get on someone for being judgmental, get on your fellow female posters who says that certain women NEED makeup.
Actually, Feminism promotes the ability of women to do what they want...whether that's to wear a full face of makeup or never wear any at all. We should be able to choose for ourselves and not be judged either way, but unfortunately society sees it differently.

I've mentioned a few times on here that I was given a bit of a lecture by an old boss who said it didn't look like I took my job seriously because I didn't wear makeup or do my hair for work. Apparently this was very important being the only woman in the department. I never came to work messy, I just put my brushed hair back into a bun or ponytail and put moisturizer on my face, but that simply wasn't enough.

Women ARE judged primarily on looks first and foremost, and looks are FAR more important in women than in men. Our studiousness, our intelligence and even our work ethic is tied to the way we present ourselves and the way we look. Some of us aren't naturally attractive and this does hinder us in ways that most men simply cannot comprehend because they have zero experience with it. Makeup gives us that little bit of oomph we need to succeed, which is sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
23,146 posts, read 25,039,188 times
Reputation: 50888
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's really sad, because I see so many girls with pretty faces get powdered up and try to look mature when they are still so young. The next thing they do is smoke, weed, and etc. The Lindsay Lohan story.
Who knew that a little Great Lash was a gateway drug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: NYC
14,344 posts, read 9,578,344 times
Reputation: 15972
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who knew that a little Great Lash was a gateway drug?
No, it's the effects of peer pressure. When you see groups of teens all dress and look alike those are the teens vulnerable to getting caught in that cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,330 posts, read 30,592,700 times
Reputation: 26973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, Feminism promotes the ability of women to do what they want...whether that's to wear a full face of makeup or never wear any at all. We should be able to choose for ourselves and not be judged either way, but unfortunately society sees it differently.

I've mentioned a few times on here that I was given a bit of a lecture by an old boss who said it didn't look like I took my job seriously because I didn't wear makeup or do my hair for work. Apparently this was very important being the only woman in the department. I never came to work messy, I just put my brushed hair back into a bun or ponytail and put moisturizer on my face, but that simply wasn't enough.

Women ARE judged primarily on looks first and foremost, and looks are FAR more important in women than in men. Our studiousness, our intelligence and even our work ethic is tied to the way we present ourselves and the way we look. Some of us aren't naturally attractive and this does hinder us in ways that most men simply cannot comprehend because they have zero experience with it. Makeup gives us that little bit of oomph we need to succeed, which is sad but true.
100% agreed.

Not looking "attractive" seriously hampers women in the workforce. In all jobs, not just appearance related ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
23,146 posts, read 25,039,188 times
Reputation: 50888
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No, it's the effects of peer pressure. When you see groups of teens all dress and look alike those are the teens vulnerable to getting caught in that cycle.
But that's all teens. The jocks all dress alike, the nerds dress alike, the goths dress alike, the stoners dress alike, etc. etc. Peer identification isn't necessarily a bad thing; while the cheerleaders love their makeup, the granola chicks avoid it like the plague. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Queens, NY
842 posts, read 947,625 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, Feminism promotes the ability of women to do what they want...whether that's to wear a full face of makeup or never wear any at all. We should be able to choose for ourselves and not be judged either way, but unfortunately society sees it differently.
But that is my point: since society tells women to act/dress a certain way, women have the CHOICE (as per feminism) to tell everyone to F off. What I can't understand is the constant complaining of how "women are pressured to look beautiful." Society doesn't MAKE women do that...they have free will. For the women who don't like it, don't do it. Don't submit to the "pressure." It's really that simple.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've mentioned a few times on here that I was given a bit of a lecture by an old boss who said it didn't look like I took my job seriously because I didn't wear makeup or do my hair for work. Apparently this was very important being the only woman in the department. I never came to work messy, I just put my brushed hair back into a bun or ponytail and put moisturizer on my face, but that simply wasn't enough.
Your old boss sounds like a POS. They're not all like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Women ARE judged primarily on looks first and foremost, and looks are FAR more important in women than in men. Our studiousness, our intelligence and even our work ethic is tied to the way we present ourselves and the way we look. Some of us aren't naturally attractive and this does hinder us in ways that most men simply cannot comprehend because they have zero experience with it. Makeup gives us that little bit of oomph we need to succeed, which is sad but true.
No offense JJ, but this entire post sounds like it's contradicting women empowerment. Now, I understand that women have the choice to go by society's rules to get ahead. However, when women are pandering to the likes of men, that empowerment becomes null and void. You've chosen to "submit" to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 10,329,646 times
Reputation: 22778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I was in high school in the 80s the girls wore a lot of makeup. They wanted to look grown up.Today's teen girls seem to wear less makeup than any generation in living memory. They look like kids, they don't aspire to look older like the girls of my generation did.
I've observed the same thing. Perhaps it's where I live (Colorado), but I don't see teen girls wearing nearly the amount of make-up my peers and I did when we were their age. My daughter very rarely wears any make-up at all and neither does my oldest's girlfriend. A swipe of lipgloss and that's about it. And most of the girls also wear their hair long. Hair styles are limited to ponytails, loop buns, and French braids.

When I was their age, I had a whole gamut of body products and make-up, and I used them everyday. But, now that I'm well into middle age, I'm entirely over it. My morning routine involves applying a light SPF moisturizer, curling my lashes, and adding brown mascara. My "make-up" bag lives under the sink and hardly ever sees the light of day. As for my hair, I keep it shoulder length, so all it requires is a hair dryer and a round brush.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-13-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
 
4,567 posts, read 4,288,046 times
Reputation: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ive seen many women who were stunning with a bunch of make up on and the next time I saw them with nothing, it was like they were a completely different person. Most women in Hollywood that most magazines idolize for their beauty are just above average when you take off their makeup.

Men are very visual. When woman wear alot of makeup all the time, they also need to ask themselves one honest question. Will this same man be as attracted to you when you wash your face and show him the real you?

I want to add on to this as well, if a man is supposed to like you for you, why go to great lengths to in some cases paint your face from your forehead down to your jaw to look more attractive to him. If its your looks you are usuing to draw him in, he second you wash your face and show him the real you, he will bounce the second he see your acne or whatever scars your were trying to cover up.

I have nothing against lipstick or eye liner at times, but they are to enhance your beauty not make your beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top